It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Finishes First Map of Moon's Craters: (Moon fans-this is good)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Since June 2009, NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has been circling the moon, compiling data for the first full topographic map of its surface. The data implies that 3.9 billion years ago asteroids pounded the moon (and the Earth), likely evaporating water supplies.

NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter is allowing researchers to create the most precise and complete map to date of the moon's complex, heavily cratered landscape.

In this scene taken from an animation created by the space agency, lunar craters larger than 12.5 miles in diameter "light up."

An outline of the craters mapped on the surface of the moon from Lunar Orbiter Laser altimeter (LOLA) data superimposed on a rendering of the moon's surface. The moon went through an intense bombardment around 3.9 billion years ago, before Saturn and Jupiter were somehow shifted, lessening the gravity that had been pulling meteors into the planets. This left the moon's surface scarred and cratered , and it’s likely any water would have been scattered and evaporated.

Source: www.foxnews.com...=1

11 more pics at the article source. Great stuff.

I really like the 3rd pic from the post-that outlines all the craters. It really puts into perspective of just how many things hit that small moon. I wonde what Earth would look like-all barren, so you could determine how many miss the moon and hit earth. The number must be staggering.

Looking forward to hearing from the Moon in the know guys. I just love the moon. I look at it every time I can.
I just may have to change my mini-pic.
Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Thank yor the flags but I would really like to see your input as well.

Come on, put a few words down-share your mind....

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Well... I think that old moon has saved out hind quarters
many,many times by sucking in meteors and comets.
And, there is no doubt in my some-what military mind that it is artificial.
I've seen the constructed metallic bands that span it's
mass.It's not a natural body for sure.That's my take,
For what it's worth.

Peace, The BrainGarden.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
As Obi-Wan said a long time ago in a galaxy far far away: "That's no moon. It's a space station."

I'm a tad confuddled though. Do these images show the side of the moon we always see or are the far side included?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrainGarden
Well... I think that old moon has saved out hind quarters
many,many times by sucking in meteors and comets.
And, there is no doubt in my some-what military mind that it is artificial.
I've seen the constructed metallic bands that span it's
mass.It's not a natural body for sure.That's my take,
For what it's worth.

Peace, The BrainGarden.

hmmm,yes well,& where are these "constructed metallic bands" located~~a museum/exhibition somewhere perhaps?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fotsyfots

You a funny one.

2nd

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by fotsyfots

mars anomaly research.com
full of all kinds of crazy moon stuff.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
NASA's current mission on the moon is GRAIL. The mission objective is to produce direct, high res, high accuracy gravitational model of the moon, especially the far-side. The gravity anomaly of Moon's far-side has been until now impossible measure directly but indirect measurements were interesting enough for NASA to send two satellites for direct GRAIL mission.

Currently best available gravity map of Moon is below.

Left is near-side, right is far-side. Red indicates higher than expected gravity, blue indicates lower than expected gravity. Larger Image

What is and why measure gravity anomalies? Gravity anomaly is a term for surface gravity measurement that is higher or lower than the 'expected' gravity value, therefore 'anomalous'. For example 9.8m/s^2 is the expected value of gravity on Earth which is assuming Earth is a perfect sphere with uniform ground density.

The keyword here is ground density. For example, if surface gravity values in a given area were measured to be lower than expected, it would indicate low ground density below ground. Think underground oil fields, caves, hollows, karsts. Gravity models are used heavily in oil exploration and prospecting for its ability to measure the density of the ground below, and allowing the user to predict the locations of underground oil fields, aquifers, and cave systems.

Summary: NASA has two satellites that went into Moon's orbit this January to directly measure and create high-res gravity map of Moon's far-side. Presumably because all indirect measurements so far have indicated that gravity anomaly values of Moon's far-side as consistently on the lower end (blue on the map above). Lower than expected gravity value is indication of lower than average ground density consistent with existence of liquid mass or hollows below surface. This indicates a possible network of extensive (1000's of km) cave systems below surface on far-side.

top topics

join