It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Food!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I didn't really know where to place this thread, so it may be moved I guess.

The thing is, both food and water are essential to life, yet the market treats them both as commodities (the later more-so in the past decade than ever).

The solution I seek, is how can both of these things be made available to all?
And not just meagre portions, but supplied in the abundance there is.

There are more and more "Food Co-ops", but these usually function within the standard market, and sometimes suffer from higher actual prices than the free market.
And all of this paying for food thing is what we want to get away from, isn't it?
That is of course those of us that don't want to be paid for food.

I have a garden, and it has been doing reasonably well.
I'd love to share its produce with anyone who would eat it, but for me to mail out carrots is mad.

No, rather than trying to solve world hunger with my personal garden, a much better solution is to try and get together as many ideas as I can.
How do small unregulated producers, create a Food Sharing network whose surplus is distributed to the wider community?
How could this work without upsetting "TPTB"?

One idea is for each "person" in the network to have a Share;
Each member supplies what they will, or are able to, or whatever.
Then the food/television-set is put into stock, to be redistributed.
When someone needs an item, they take it*.
Each item/unit that is removed has a fixed low price. Usually say $1 per bag or whatever.
Money collected this way is used to fund the operation, and all profits are distributed as dividends to the share holders. (or to which ever charity, which would make your food purchases charitable donations).

Any other good ideas?

*everyone knows who the dick was that took 36 eggs every week, cameras or something

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by myster0

EVERYONE should have a garden or grow what they can.. even apartment patios can grow an abundance of food... alos indoor gardening works too.. think of how much will be saved from transporting foods from south america.... and instead pick tomatoes from your own patio... IF only people will think....The MONEY that can be saved

We CANT depend on Govt to solve problems... We all know the Govt has CAUSED much of the problems....

I say yes go to Craigs list and start your own food co op with neighbors in your community... good luck on your garden...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

I am glad you are enthusiastic about the idea

Yes, social networks on the internet are a great way of finding people in your area for your food co-op.
What I am aiming towards here is discussing the logistics of the thing.
If food co-ops were commonplace, no one would have to start one, right?
And although the idea is as old as civilisation (almost by definition), it seems that it has failed "in the setting up" almost every time.

North Korea suffered a famine in the 90s.
It was still recovering from war, and was hit by some bad weather.
Unfortunately, no one would trade with them and lots of people starved.
They got better, and better than ever.
They now have an army of over 1,000,000 and are pissed off at the people that made them go hungry because of money.
Food for thought.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hi

I read about a village in UK where a village food co-operative was started. They have a very modest parcel of land and every villager is encouraged to donate so many hours work. If I remember correctly each hour of work earned points which could be used to buy the produce. Surplus produce is sold locally and at very low cost and is available to anyone whether they are a volunteer worker or not. It was reported to be a huge success and a model for others. It may have been reported in The Guardian newspaper, not sure. Sorry not really very helpful but I'll do some searching and see if I can find it.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Reply to post by bluestar.ranch

Yes, everyone should cultivate their own.

Until the super or landlord get PO'd that you're doing things to his property or the condo/homeowners association doesnt like the way something looks or the town government passes some policy preventing you from going about it the way you could.

All across America towns are limiting garden sizes, garden contents, garden-scaping and making it illegal to have a couple of chickens or a goat.

The king doesnt want you to be self sufficient.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I think its a grand idea whose time has come (back around).
Didn't the US just pass a bill that would attack such a plan? I apologize, no time to post it now, but its the Food Safety Act or something similar.

Yes to your idea, just saying be somewhat careful 'cause the tax collectors don't think its so great.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think TPTB would LOVE this idea. All the food distribution would be centralized (probably under the government
) and then they would have a very easy way to control the food supply.

They could then create artificial shortages, choose who eats and who doesn't, etc. At this point they could essentially do anything they want because hey, they control the food, they make the rules.

Organic food would become a thing of the past because it is more expensive than pumping hormones and pesticides into your food. The only thing that keeps organic food alive is that people are willing to pay more for it because it is better for you. Once this kind of thing is implemented you would essentially have no choices as to what kind of beef you get, where it comes from, or what was fed to the cow.

I admire your altruism though. I wish everyone on the planet had enough to eat too, but the only way I know of to accomplish this is through charity.

Edit to add:

I missed the part about your small, cooperative food networks. I think that is an excellent idea so long as it remains decentralized

edit on 12/22/2010 by BobbinHood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'm not going to provide any sources on this one cause it's all my personal oppinion.

When it comes to "free food" I think Johnny-Appleseed had the right idea. Plant fruit & nut trees everywhere (well everywhere their perspective climates allow for). This would provide an abundant "natural source" of proteins, fatty acids, vitamins, and sugars that everyone could take advantage of.

When I was in grade school, I had a route to and from school to pass by all the neighborhood fruit trees as they became in season. Of coarse almost all of them grew on private property so I would go right up to the property owners house and ask him/her if he minded if I grabbed fruit from their tree(s) when in season. Half the time they would say "anything you can reach from the other side of the fence is yours", and the other half the time they would want me to go on their property and grab as many as I wanted, because they would just go to waste anyway. Of coarse there is always the bitter ol person that wil say no.... but that was fine by me, because 10 out of 10 people die.

In my opinion the reason why the mass planting of food trees barely happens (and will probably never catch on) is do to our conditioning to accept, as fact that "nothing is for free" (instead of being told the truth... that there is no profit in free products and free products alter the supply and demand equation). Thats why "we" push for Genetically Modified Foods ... Because you can claim ownership of a created species of food, thus creating profit........ ** and need to stop before the ranting and raving starts**

Of coarse there are some drawbacks I can think of from planting food trees in mass......

1. Who would clean up the falling fruit that starts to rot (not willing to be done for free?).

2. Who would resolve infestation of bugs and by what means (not willing to be done for free?).

3. A person with an unknown food allergy could get really sick (who would you sue?).

4. There could be a worm in the center of the fruit you are trying to eat (extra protein or infestation?)

5. Damage to property and persons from falling fruits & nuts (The sky is falling!!).

6. Injury to persons climbing the tree to get the "high-ups" and falling .

and if I had more time I'd site some sources where this has been tried out on a small scale for kids to try and curb their candy consumption.... I believe it was mostly fruit trees tried, but one place it was carob trees (carob = kinda chocolate)....

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The food for labour points system is interesting, however for such a system to work would require each member to have a base-line points per week (maybe calculated from food kilo-joules?), otherwise the infirm would starve.

I'd also like reinforce the idea that is important that government regulations should be respected, but moved away from.
This is NOT because a government cannot be "for the people", but because governments usually regulate by taxation.
Sure, if a policeman learns of some shoddy potatoes going around (whatever that might mean), he should check it out. A cash fine may be liable from that person, but charging him won't make anything better for anyone but the courts and maybe the cop. Re/Education is key.
Anyone that handles food for anyone else, should know food safety and handling techniques, even your Nana*. Farms/Plots should be open for inspections, to ensure safe practices.
"Organic" should be optimum, but chemical fertilisers do have merit. (I use "" because I have studied chemistry, and it means something else to me).

*Most towns have services that offer day/night-courses in food handling, which are usually FREE (thanks local council). You should receive a state/nation/international food handling certificate upon completion, depending on how long/in-depth the course is. Courses usually run between 3 and 20 hours, and offer an extra few years of life expectancy to all graduates (and their families).

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluestar.ranch
reply to post by myster0

EVERYONE should have a garden or grow what they can.. even apartment patios can grow an abundance of food... alos indoor gardening works too.. think of how much will be saved from transporting foods from south america.... and instead pick tomatoes from your own patio... IF only people will think....The MONEY that can be saved

We CANT depend on Govt to solve problems... We all know the Govt has CAUSED much of the problems....

I say yes go to Craigs list and start your own food co op with neighbors in your community... good luck on your garden...

Not everyone lives in a climate where this is possible. And no, you cant usually grow your own food if you live in a apartment building either. Growing indoors would require hell of alot of artificial lighting/electricity and could cause all kinds of house infestations as well. I live right south of arctic circle so even if you had a large greenhouse you would require both heating and loads of artificial lightning to compensate for lack of sun all this would make it much more expensive than transporting/importing it from other side of globe.

new topics

top topics

join