It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Word Lens' - i Phone Translator Software by Video !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Just saw this and have not seen it on a search of this site...... If it is already here apologies...

Just thought it was worth highlighting as it potentially makes communication between languages far easier for the foreign traveller......... Obviously this has it's flaws but you can see a more Advanced version in a couple of years ......

Basic idea is that the software uses the i-phones video camera to scan and 'instantly' translate text from another language...

Clever ? or Not ?

questvisual.com...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
They've just incorporated the already-existing method of scanners being able to export physical paper letters into text files.. now they just added a dictionary and software to do it on the fly with a camera.

Still cool...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I bought the Spanish to English version, 5 bucks.. expensive but I like it! Altho it has no grammar, it justs translates each word and leaves them on the same position, the software is quite nice.
i take the 5 dollars as if it were a donation so maybe someday our phones have a better camera than the terminator's vision :O

I would also like some augmented reality contact lenses

spectrum.ieee.org...
edit on 22-12-2010 by aNdReSk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Universal voice translators (a la Startrek) can't be too far away; and what about lip reading i-phones with telephoto lenses? How soon do you think all those millions of public survellance cameras will be reading your lips? With enhanced video, they can even tell if you're lying by the change of temperature around your eyes. There will be no privacy without a bag over your head.

I have never had a cell phone, and I have no intention of getting one. Do I qualify for special treatment under the ADA.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This is revolutionary software.

If we have it in our phones - Then you know the military and government probably have it it in everything else.

What an incredible gift to allow humanity to talk to eachother so freely and easily.

Maybe we'll get a replay of the Tower of Babel if this software keeps up!

edit on 23-12-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
Maybe we'll get a replay of the Tower of Babel if this software keeps up!

edit on 23-12-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

The Tower of Babel might not have fallen if they had enough translators, electronic or human. The problem there was the Pharoa, archetects, contractors and workers all spoke different languages, so nothing got built to spec.

The down side to translators is the Pharoa could have known about impending strikes if he knew what the workers were plotting. The time ain't far off when everyone will be afraid to speak against the government because omnipresent surveillance cameras are reading their lips and detecting lies via infrared facial clues. Facial recognition is just the tip of the iceberg.

new topics

top topics

join