It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC hasn't made any black holes :)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Physicists using Europe's Large Hadron Collider say they haven't seen any microscopic black holes yet — and perhaps they never will. The most they can say right now is that if they exist, the exotic objects would have to have a mass of more than 3.5 trillion electron volts.

Some flavors of string theory have suggested that micro-black holes could be created at the LHC if the universe has "rolled-up" dimensions in addition to the three space dimensions plus time with which we're familiar. In such a universe, the force of gravity might become dramatically stronger at very small distances, and colliding particles occasionally could create an energy density large enough to produce a black hole for just an instant of time.

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

No, no black holes Is a good thing for us as a species. There's a reason that they occur in outer space and not on our Earth, its because they consume everything that gets in their path. I seriously doubt that the metal confines of any structure could hold back a black hole should CERN be able to create one. There's some reason that they haven't been able to yet. Something's stopping them, who knows what or from where. Another time or maybe another dimension that can see into ours. There have been too many random stalls on certain programs. Lest us not forget the piece of baguette or the loose screw? Too many weird coincidences. I wish that the public knew about them all.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The public does know about the coincidences..it's not some big secret.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by chanel

Also, just so everyone knows, the title of this thread is LHC hasn't made any Black Holes Smiley Face. Why? Well, because it made me smile to learn that that contributed to one of the factors of me still being alive!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost374

Oh, Do you work at CERN? I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I should've known better than to assume that the media released all of the truth about every awesome, secretive, scientific, multi trillion dollar project to us.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chanel

You should've, but you didn't. And now you know better.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
They just need more money.

We should steal money from each other and give it to them.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Yet, you missed yet in your title, LHC is only at half power right now until 2013.

So just wait for your excitement, go build a black hole bunker, because you think a black hole might eat us.

I find it amazing that people still fear this, although these collisions happen on a per second basis everyday in nature. Do you really think the particle physicists at CERN would risk theirs and their families lives if they thought it was a possibility?

The answer is no.

If they were to make a black hole it would be microscopic and would vaporize in such a short amount of time that it would be virtually impossible to do any damage.

Please STOP fear mongering on a subject that you do not have correct info on.

Our motto is deny ignorance right?

Oh, and does any of these news source people realize that Fermi labs has been close to this power and has been functioning for a number of years?

Geez people...research.

Pred...
edit on 22-12-2010 by predator0187 because: Grammar

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I have to say this illustrates a reason why I think these issues needed to be debated before the LHC went online. These scientist have a huge blindspot. They assume that these black holes will quickly evaporate because they make the assumption that Hawking Radiation is true. This has never been confirmed and the way they are trying to detect these black holes is based on Hawking Radiation. There's others who think these black holes that they create will not evaporate and they will just continue to grow. So they could be creating mini black holes at the LHC and they don't even know it.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I find it amazing that people still fear this, although these collisions happen on a per second basis everyday in nature.
Do you really think the particle physicists at CERN would risk theirs and their families lives if they thought it was a possibility?

Nature? As in all over the planet.... or all over the universe?
and YES! It's their passion, and they get paid pretty well to do it (which would support their family, if they even have time to start a family)

If they were to make a black hole it would be microscopic and would vaporize in such a short amount of time that it would be virtually impossible to do any damage.
Please STOP fear mongering on a subject that you do not have correct info on.

I love the fact that you can spout criticism and at the same time provide no credible information to support your statement.

Feel free to provide credible information to support the following

1. A man made black hole will always be microscopic
2. A microscopic black hole will vaporize instantly
3. A black hole in existence for a fraction of a second will have absolutely no effect on it's surroundings

Our motto is deny ignorance right?

Right! So a discussion on theories involved with the LHC is ignorant how?

"If they were to make a black hole it would be microscopic"....... "Geez people...research."

** Smallest black hole discovered = 15 miles wide ~ 3.8 times the mass of the sun

Source

In this article it also mentions: "This black hole is really pushing the limits. For many years astronomers have WANTED TO KNOW the smallest possible size of a black hole, and this little guy is a big step toward answering that question" & "Astronomers THINK the boundary between black holes and neutron stars lies somewhere between 1.7 and 2.7 solar masses"

** Earth mass ~ 1 inch black hole

** Solar mass ~ 2 miles black hole

Source

So just a guestimate, but Id say a microscopic black hole would have mass of..... Ireland?

I'm not saying this to fear monger, I'm denying the ignorance that a microscopic black hole (if created) will just "poof" go away or that there would be no affect from a micro black hole's split-second appearance .

Energy dissipates, manipulates and converts but doesn’t just "poof" go away. Just because you can shut off a light switch doesn't mean the energy is gone.... touch a regular bulb... that's heat energy, as a result of electrical and light energy.... hence the forming of a black hole "in nature" as a result of a collapsed star. Some energy dissipates other energy manipulates and condenses

........ So am I a troll now?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FORMe2p00p0n
So just a guestimate, but Id say a microscopic black hole would have mass of..... Ireland?
They're not talking about microscopic like the tip of a needle. They're talking about things on the Planck scale. The Planck Length is 16.163*10^-35 meters. In other words, a human hair is about 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planck Lengths across. A single proton is about 60,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planck Lengths.

A recently published paper suggests that such black holes can form from the collision of two protons of sufficient energy (above 1 TeV). Such a black hole would have a mass around the rest mass of those two protons (so, not very much), and a Schwarzschild radius (the radius at which the escape velocity is equal to the speed of light) that is also on the Planck scale. In other words, they would be very, very tiny. So tiny that, more than likely, they would pass right through the earth without hitting another particle or photon (since matter is mostly empty space).

If they do go "poof" and evaporate in the form of Hawking radiation, you're right, the energy doesn't disappear. But all you'll end up with the same amount of energy you put in. For a couple particles at 1 TeV, that's about the kinetic energy of a single flying mosquito.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

So what I gather from your statement is, the gravitational force generated by these "black hole particles" are minimal, even miniscule.... but are still there. So on this scale this micro type of black hole particle doesn't fall in line with the normal black hole's "not even light can escape" due to the actual mass being too small to generate enough gravitational force to attract anything.

why not call it a black particle… and save on misinterpretation

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
People who are scared of mini blackholes that could hypothetically be created by the LHC are completely ignorant in terms of physics.

You realize that black holes have an "event horizon" right? In that case, there is nothing to be scared of.

That's all I have to say.
edit on 22-12-2010 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I made a thread about this a few days ago
(www.abovetopsecret.com...) Yea I guess unless they get another more powerful collider (which will not happen soon) they will just assume they do not have enough power .

I am voting that a bigger collider will not fix the problem also , because the theory is wrong
But I am still on the fence because those are the early days still when it comes to a fully operational LHC , so for now I will just sit back and watch the show and see what more excuses our experts will find

But as it is common with science , maybe by accident some other breakthrough will come out of this

edit on 22/12/10 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FORMe2p00p0n
So what I gather from your statement is, the gravitational force generated by these "black hole particles" are minimal, even miniscule.... but are still there. So on this scale this micro type of black hole particle doesn't fall in line with the normal black hole's "not even light can escape" due to the actual mass being too small to generate enough gravitational force to attract anything.
Nope, they still can be strong enough so even light can't escape. But the distance from the center of the black hole where the gravitational force is that high is very small. For a normal stellar black hole, that distance (called the Schwarzschild radius) might only be a few kilometers. As the mass of the object decreases, so does this radius. So a micro black hole can only consume matter and light within this radius that is so small, it's likely it wil never come into contact with other matter or light.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FORMe2p00p0n

Ok, first, I never said all "man made" black holes are microscopic

All over nature means everywhere, there are so many collisions at this magnitude happening in our atmosphere every millisecond that you could not count them all.

Second, we still have not seen a black hole, we have evidence supporting the idea and we have seen stars moving unbelievably fast around a dense part of our galaxy but as for having seen one, no, not yet.

When your thinking about black holes you are thinking about a hypernova collapsing and leaving a black hole behind, although it is similar it is not such a grand scale.

They are colliding protons, some of the smaller parts of the universe. Colliding protons would not be able to make a black hole that you are thinking, they would make a black hole so small that it would expel radiation and be done with in milliseconds.

I have done plenty of research in particle/astro and nuclear physics, I find the fact that there are people that know nothing about the LHC talking about how it's going to end the world very frustrating as they are spreading misinformation.

I'm not saying go study particle physics, which everyone should anyways, I'm just saying people should read up on a subject before spewing false information.

en.wikipedia.org...

Pred...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Interesting. Does this mean that they didn't lose one (or more) in 2008? For the life of me, I couldn't remember the name of the Professor (Otto E. Rossler) who tried to shutdown the LHC, and google failed me at first in trying to recall the story.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Do any of you black hole fearmongeres realize that collisions with MORE force occur naturally in our atmosphere, and we aren't all sucked into a black hole? There is ZERO proof that anything remotely dangerous could happen, and don't try quoting the crackpot scientists or the Christians, who are really against this not because of any "danger", they simply don't want them to find the Higgs boson which would prove that a natural occurrance following the laws of physics creating the universe, instead of an omnipotent God.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It just proves that science isn't perfect, as much as they'd like us to believe that it is.

Science has, in a sense, become a religion. A religion that relies on doctrine and tenure.

I just wish scientists these days weren't politicians as well. We'd find the truth much sooner if they weren't.

There is no truth that is not found through knowledge and an open mind; That, alone.
edit on 25-12-2010 by Nutella because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2010 by Nutella because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

There also isn't any proof that something catastrophic won't happen. Is there?

Don't preach from a pulpit that has no foundation.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Tlove250

We all thank you for being the intellectual mindfart that you are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join