It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASSIVE seismic activity again?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

MASSIVE seismic activity again?

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov

Last Update Tue Dec 21 21:20:06 MST 2010
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I remember this happened in OCT,NOV OR SEPT. I do not remember witch month. Any ways their was a earth quake in japan, Iran, and Cumbria.

My THEORY is that this is because of the gulf oil spill. I have no idea how the earths crust really work but if you think about it like this. You have a rubics cube, if you take a cube out of a rubics cube the whole rubics cube will fall apart because it needs all of its pieces to hold it together. Im not saying the earth is going to fall apart like a rubrics cube. Just that, a big whole in the earths crust could give some extra room for plates to move. We now know that they drilled 7 miles deep not 5 including the ocean. 7 miles deep into the earths crust under the ocean. According to a google search the earths crust is average 7 miles deep in the ocean. But thats just a theory.

You got one?

I do not know how credible this site is
______beforeitsnews/story/317/639/Scientists_Reporting_Mysterious_shifting_of_the_earths_core.html
edit on 21-12-2010 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
i recall some site & theory that has a good track record of calling seismic events in the 3-14 day window following a full moon... especially a moon thats close , and aligned with the Sun-Earth-Moon, just like it was for the Lunar Eclipse on the 21st of Dec.

this isn't rocket science... the gravitational forces are at work...it just may take hours or days for the faults to slip enough for a quake to happen because of the alignment of Sun-Moon on the Earths crust (compounded by the minute dislocations caused by continental drift/plate tectonics)

also consider antipodal points for some recent reason:
see

Search ResultsAntipodal point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mathematics, the antipodal point of a point on the surface of a sphere is the point which is diametrically opposite it — so situated that a line drawn from the one to the other passes through the centre of the sphere and forms a true...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodal_point

well..... thst's going into the 'Hyperdimensional physics' of the guy famous for the Face-on-Mars theory...
but it has some credibility
edit on 21-12-2010 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Yeah I read earlier on a news site that one shook southern Japan and something about one other location. Here we goes again.

ETA: Japan Earthquake - 7.4 Magnitude Trembler Spawns Tsunami Warning

There was a Japan earthquake today that registered 7.4 magnitude. The quake was major and there was a tsunami that was about a foot high even though warnings said that it could be much more devastating.

The Japan earthquake struck at 2:19 a.m. local time on Wednesday morning. The trembler struck about 95 miles east of Chichi-shima, and it was shallow at a depth of 8.69 miles. Nearly 2,700 people live in the region, and thankfully none of them were injured during the quake and resulting surge of the ocean. The remote Bonin Islands were hit by the foot tall tsunami, but thankfully there are no reports of major damage or injury. The tsunami was expected to be higher, and thankfully it wasn’t even though the region was initially warned to evacuate.

edit on 21-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The moon eplanation sounds good.
But because there has been such an uptick in these things,(both volanos and earhquakes,) i wonder if there isnt some other gravitational anomaly present that we have bot accounted for?
It just seems strange the more i hear denials of the comming of a twelfth planet, the more i hear of volcanic and earthquake events....
Just sayin....

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy

My THEORY is that this is because of the gulf oil spill. I have no idea how the earths crust really work but if you think about it like this. You have a rubics cube, if you take a cube out of a rubics cube the whole rubics cube will fall apart because it needs all of its pieces to hold it together. Im not saying the earth is going to fall apart like a rubrics cube. Just that, a big whole in the earths crust could give some extra room for plates to move. We now know that they drilled 7 miles deep not 5 including the ocean. 7 miles deep into the earths crust under the ocean. According to a google search the earths crust is average 7 miles deep in the ocean. But thats just a theory.

You got one?
]

Yes you are correct about one thing, you have no clue how the "crust" works. Having a hole in the earth as tiny as the one you are talking about in the gulf probably didn't cause the earthquake in japan. We have had earthquakes for just a few years before we started drilling and probably will after we stop.

You should look up fracking though, its caused earthquakes in a way closer to your theory. The difference is the earthquakes happen in the area of the fracking. Not on a different plate.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Massive is an understatement. I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Those underground tunnels they keed boring sure are stirring things up down there.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
That is just beyond belief. But believe it. The proof is right there in the graphs. What exactly is going on. This is definitely not looking good...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

No, one 7.4 earthquake followed by several 5+ quakes which is normal for activity in subduction zones. Chile earlier in the year was another example of this.

Please take a look at this page and learn how this works with regard to the helicorders of LISS.

Anything about 6+ may cause all the recorders in the world to show - as for example when the deep earthquake happened at Acre, Brazil earlier this year. That was a 6.3 and spawned another rash of doom threads.

My THEORY is that this is because of the gulf oil spill. I have no idea how the earths crust really work

Well your theory is completely wrong, and if you have no idea then take a look at the link above and bother to learn before making silly statement like that.

You have a rubics cube, if you take a cube out of a rubics cube the whole rubics cube will fall apart because it needs all of its pieces to hold it together. Im not saying the earth is going to fall apart like a rubrics cube. Just that, a big whole in the earths crust could give some extra room for plates to move. We now know that they drilled 7 miles deep not 5 including the ocean. 7 miles deep into the earths crust under the ocean. According to a google search the earths crust is average 7 miles deep in the ocean.

A big hole? (not whole) Do you actually have any idea how big a well bore is? Perhaps you had better go look it up. 36" narrowing to 9" (on average) if you cannot be bothered. The plates will move regardless of a tiny pin prick like that.

reply to post by St Udio

The antipodes of the 7.4 (approximately)

What is the theory here?

reply to post by stirling

Earthquake incidence is higher than last year in terms of energy and numbers, but dwarfed by 2004. Yes it is a higher amount than other years but there have been far worse years. I don't have a figure for volcanoes yet - working on it.

This is a preliminary result:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4770f614630.png[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Just to add to this though, an earthquake causes a seismic wave that goes through the ground to anywhere on the planet, either staying in the crust or going through the core to the other side. So it gets picked up everywhere if it is big enough, at around the same time, because functionally it is a sound wave, and sound travels at a high speed through rock (on the order of 3 or more kilometres per second).
As to it being a large disturbance on the seismographs, these devices have to pick up tiny movements at times. The systems at Yellowstone pick up quakes of magnitude 1, which have equivalent energy to 2MJ, or 1lb TNT equivalent. Such a quake would be fairly small on the trace, but you'd be able to see it.

The quake in Japan was Magnitude 7.4, handily described by Wikipedia as around 10 PJ or 10,000,000,000MJ. Or the equivalent of around 2 - 2.5 Megatons TNT equivalent, IIRC thats about the size of a big city destroying nuke.

Which, when you consider the comparative difference in size between the two, explains why it looks so big.

This image is the seismogaph for Lerwick, in the UK. You can see the trace for the quake near Japan as the large trace starting at around 1803 UTC. If you look really closely, you can also see the trace from the quake in Cumbria, at 2300 or so.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2491cdd26258.gif[/atsimg]

For comparisons sake, this is a 650km distant 11.2GJ event, compared with a 9,850km distant 10PJ one.
edit on 22-12-2010 by apex because: Added image, info

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by apex

I think what many people do not realise is as you said that the seismograph is picking up actual movement.

It may only be a few millimetres, and too slow to register on us, but sufficient to move the instrument.

10^(1.5*Mag) and all that!

Looks a little hairier on a Broadband instrument however, but the Cumbria one is not really visible. This is also Lerwick.

LRW.GB..BHZ.2010.355

Galloway gives you a much better view of the Cumbria one.
GAL1.GB..BHZ.2010.355

Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
2010-12-21T22:59:11.000Z,54.38000,-3.07000,3.5000,15.0000,ENGLAND UNITED KINGDOM

edit on 22/12/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

HOW ELSE AM I GOING TO LEARN

By reading what is said? That is usually a good place to start.

I agree that the moon may have some effect, however you only mentioned that you had seen this (black recorders) before and did not say anything about the moon. If you had I would have agreed with you. Despite that, the fact that the recorders are all black is not serious. Read that article I linked to and you will understand why, and yes - you will learn if that is what you want to do.

Calling me names really does not help your case as far as I am concerned, nor does it bother me. I have no problem if someone wants to learn and am happy to help, but be prepared to be corrected if you make wild statements with nothing to back them up.

You are perfectly entitled to have a theory, but you need to be able to explain why you have that theory. I think actually that it is you that needs to chill, and reflect on what you said.

Peace.

edit on 22/12/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

top topics

join