It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP objections threaten whistle-blower rights bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

GOP objections threaten whistle-blower rights bill

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – House Democrats scrambled on Tuesday to salvage legislation that would bar federal agencies from punishing employees who report corruption, waste and mismanagement after Republicans linked the bill to the WikiLeaks scandal.

In hopes of securing needed GOP support, Democrats offered to strip from the bill provisions that extend whistle-blower protections to workers at U.S. intelligence agencies — seen as a major concession by backers of the bill.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I had no idea a bill like this was going through the House.

From what I understand from what Ive read so far, Democrats wanted legislation that would bar federal agencies from punishing their own employees if they reported corruption in their agency. The GOP then wanted the Intelligence Agencies stripped from the protection of the bill.

Even though its supporters say the legislation makes classified disclosures through WikiLeaks or other outlets illegal, Republicans had complained it still might encourage leaks by employees in the most sensitive government jobs.

From what I see in this, is that the Republicans dont want corruption exposed......Isnt this a bit totalitarian or facist????

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-12-2010 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Democrats pussying out once again to the Republicans? Wow can't say I've seen that repeatedly over the last decade...

It's kind of crazy how much stuff the house and congress are trying to push through during the holidays, especially when this is a time when we've been told they're supposed to be doing anything. I'm intrigued by this whistle blowers bill (the first I've heard of it) but I'm disappointed it won't extent to intelligence agencies considering that's where most of the corruption in our government is coming from.
edit on 21-12-2010 by JoeMaine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
It involves more than just whats being reported. The current whistle blower ststutes in place deal with anything except classified information. While relasing classified information is a felony, you can still report it, but the stadnards are different, suggesting the report should go to members of congress and not another agency due to the nature of the complaint.

There is essentially a 2 teired system in place - majority of people and those who work in essentail security fields.

I thin the laws should be reviewed, clarified and strenghtened in some areas. At the same time I think the Government hould talk to DARPA to come up with some new and different storage and encryption system, since we are finding out how 500+k documents can be breached.

The other issue being navigated is the difference between a whistleblower and espionage, since the line that seperates th 2 is fine.

edit on 21-12-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I did a little bit of searching for more articles on this, and found this article from December 1st.

In WikiLeaks wake, whistle-blower bill set to pass

WASHINGTON – Following the latest baring of U.S. secrets on the Internet, Congress is poised to pass legislation giving employees in the most sensitive government jobs a way to report corruption, waste and mismanagement without turning to outside organizations like WikiLeaks.

President Barack Obama is expected to sign the bill, which supporters say will discourage leaks of classified information. The legislation would allow intelligence agency whistle-blowers to raise concerns within their agencies instead of giving classified materials to WikiLeaks or other outlets, which is illegal.

"Until this law is passed, WikiLeaks will continue to be the safest option for whistle-blowers unwilling to engage in professional suicide," said Devine, who is coordinating support for the bill from a coalition of more than 60 public interest and advocacy groups.

It was "supposed" to pass, but then it got held up, by the Republicans.

If this dosent pass, what are the odds of government employees leaking more stuff to wikileaks, with no other place to turn?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
What we've got is fascists on both sides of the aisle.

Sometimes the problem is that we elect congressmen that are stupid and could pass for the living dead.
Some of them even look like zombies.

Others are smart as a whip, and out for themselves.

For some reason, we don't seem to like to elect smart people with the choice of simple lifestyles, or good poor people with common sense.

We get what we collectively deserve. That's what is so sad. The populace acts powerless to stop anything, and the government takes advantage.

If our 'president' really gave a flying crap about our country, instead of worrying about fat kids, he'd be on tv telling Americans that they need to man up, inform themselves, dig in and be prepared to fight...and he'd be fighting for them. He's just another idiot though - one of the smart ones that are out for themselves.

And republicans - they seem to have a testosterone issue. They listen to that man gorilla Hannity too much. Me American, Beat on chest have little brain but big bomb. Hmm. ANd yeah, I do think a lot of democrats are scared of them. It's kinda funny. Castrated congress.
edit on 22-12-2010 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join