It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind numbingly stupid SHTF/survival programs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
What is the stupidest survival/SHTF program you have seen?

I thought that I had seen the stupidest history channel “Armageddon” style programs……… But I was wrong…….

I just seen the “After Armageddon” program a bit ago…….. To say it is a “stupid program” is to insult stupid programs!!!!!!! How can a program be more illogical and concocted?

If I tried to describe just 10 percent of what is wrong with that program, my mind would explode from the stupidity. I truly feel dumber for subjecting myself to it.

I will describe just one of the laundry list of problems with the docudrama.

The part where they are outside of the car, along side the road, and someone pulls up and takes all the stuff out of their car and pokes a hole in the tank. No No NO NO NO!!!!!!!!! Not a chance in hell!!!! Anyone that goes along the road doing that, isn’t going to be alive for long. You would have to have an ultimate death wish to even contemplate doing that. Lets look at it logically.

Facts
It has already been a moderate time after the event.
All abandoned vehicles will have already been striped and drained of anything useful.
Any vehicle that has supplies in it, and, or have gas in it will mean that it is a car that is in use, or has people watching over it.

If you drive up and stop beside a vehicle like that……… there is three possibilities.

1 The people are close by the vehicle and they probably know you are there, and you don’t know where they are. You don’t know if they are armed, but it would be safe to assume they are. If you even think about sliding under that vehicle to drain the gas, or reach inside to take something, you will be ripped apart by a hail of gunfire.

2 Something wiped the people out that stopped there before you without leaving a trace. And no one else that has come there before you has also failed to survive long enough to take the stuff in the vehicle. So it would be a VERRY good idea to get your ass out of there A……S………A………..P!!!!!!!!!! Before you join them!!!!!

3 It is a trap!!!!!!!! Most likely the person that left the bait out there is already lining up a kill shot as soon as you get out of your car. You have most likely signed your death warrant by stopping. You better say your last words to god, because you are already dead. You won’t make it out of there alive.

In that situation, the last thing people will be doing is stopping at every vehicle to hunt for useable stuff. They will know that all the vehicles that are along the major routes will have already been cleaned, and any that are not, are ones you don’t want to even be close to.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Shotgun, claymore, RPG, chainsaw & Zombrex

cya at the store

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Shotgun, claymore, RPG, chainsaw & Zombrex

cya at the store

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I did not see that show but I have seen ones just as bad. I am like what fool came up with this idea. The one I seen had a bit about going though houses looking for stuff. Same deal as your car.
1=It has already been stripped
2=Some one is at home
3=TRAP!!!

To do either the car or house deal right you would first need a team. A look out and do some re-con before doing the deed just for starters. In a world gone mad it is going to be a no holds bar free for all killing spree. The show I seen showed a lot of crap that could get you hurt and with no help you would die easy. Why put your self at un-needed risk. I do not know about yhour show I could not watch all of the one I was watching it was just too dumb.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

I think I saw the show you're talking about last weekend?

I Liked a couple aspects of it though. For instance whenever there was a question or comparable situation, they leaned on past SHTF scenarios and looked at real data.

The lady and kid were excruciatingly irritating, but I can see where that's going to have a major impact on the reality of most of our situations in that case. Reminded me of the difference between civilian and military mindsets though. It's important in to train family members before hand because discipline problems will kill everybody and the learning curve will be steep. I don't mean military training, I do mean military discipline though. When I say stop I don't mean when you slow down, I mean now. That kind of thing.

I hate everything I know about L.A. though and figured the show was as close as they could make it using that class of idiot.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny.

Facts
It has already been a moderate time after the event.
All abandoned vehicles will have already been striped and drained of anything useful.
Any vehicle that has supplies in it, and, or have gas in it will mean that it is a car that is in use, or has people watching over it.

If you drive up and stop beside a vehicle like that……… there is three possibilities.

Four possibilities.
First don't stop.
Drive down the road and out of sight.
Hide your vehicle leave someone guarding your vehicle.
Come back on foot from uphill and work down to the vehicle
Anyone setting a ambush will be uphill of the vehicle and this will put you uphill of them.
If you are part of a group leave one or more of your group as over watch.

One person Approach the vehicle and pull the steering wheel lock, The others cover him.
Call up your vehicle and put a tow rope on the abandoned vehicle and tow it to a safe place to remove the gas and other items you want.
Better yet tow the vehicle back to your base camp and repair if possible, Or just have it to use for things like a road block.
If the windows are unbroken you could even sleep in it as it would be nice and dry.

You also could use it to bait a trap. Just make sure you have flankers out to protect your ambush from tricks like above.
You will run into many EX military that think like me and they are your worst enemy because they will write there own book on tactics and plan a..

Oh if you have a diesel vehicle
Drain the crankcase and transmission on the vehicle you found if you are going to junk the vehicle.
Filtered and mixed with diesel,or kerosene this can be used for fuel in a diesel engine this will extend your fuel supplies.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
I did not see that show but I have seen ones just as bad. I am like what fool came up with this idea. The one I seen had a bit about going though houses looking for stuff. Same deal as your car.
1=It has already been stripped
2=Some one is at home
3=TRAP!!!

Already been stripped
there will be something useful in the house.
If you don't want it me and my team will be by to get it.

We will find a spot to watch the house or more likely a group of homes around daylight.
we will take turns while most of the team sleeps.
people living in the homes we will see and we will move on and traps will be found as someone setting the trap will move or be seen make noise.

If we see no movement smoke or other signs and at night fall we will move in and as a couple of the team watches the area around the home/s the rest will do clearing/salvage and we will rotate watch duties and salvage

I have seen professional like cops search home and miss guns and other valuables.
Most untrained looters will miss a lot of good stuff.
They will also leave behind many good items just because they have no use for them.
I will take anything useful and take it back to base camp or hide it near where i got it and come back later for it as needed.
NO home is completely stripped unless all that is left is the concrete slab or less, building material is useful, The insulation can be used to winterize shelters at your base camp or hideaway. wood, windows, piping, wiring, doors. look in attics look under wood floor homes, fencing, anything could be useful if you just think.
Once everything is gone burn the house if its near your base camp area.
Looter or gangs will not hang around if there is no shelter or anything left to loot.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Already been stripped
there will be something useful in the house.
If you don't want it me and my team will be by to get it.

We will find a spot to watch the house or more likely a group of homes around daylight.
we will take turns while most of the team sleeps.
people living in the homes we will see and we will move on and traps will be found as someone setting the trap will move or be seen make noise.

If we see no movement smoke or other signs and at night fall we will move in and as a couple of the team watches the area around the home/s the rest will do clearing/salvage and we will rotate watch duties and salvage

I have seen professional like cops search home and miss guns and other valuables.
Most untrained looters will miss a lot of good stuff.
They will also leave behind many good items just because they have no use for them.
I will take anything useful and take it back to base camp or hide it near where i got it and come back later for it as needed.
NO home is completely stripped unless all that is left is the concrete slab or less, building material is useful, The insulation can be used to winterize shelters at your base camp or hideaway. wood, windows, piping, wiring, doors. look in attics look under wood floor homes, fencing, anything could be useful if you just think.
Once everything is gone burn the house if its near your base camp area.
Looter or gangs will not hang around if there is no shelter or anything left to loot.

And that is what everyone else in the neighborhood will do. And when you know of other people close to you, you will start interacting with them to share information and support.

That is the conundrum that is repeated in almost all the shows. The situation they depict is……. You are by yourself, trying to live in a city that everyone has abandoned…….. You don’t know anyone…. But….

If you didn’t leave, then a bunch of other people probably didn’t leave either. Anything you can think of to do, will have crossed the minds of countless other people. They will already be there. You will run across other people of similar disposition. You will interact with them and become interactive with the people around you. There is no way around it. You can’t go running around by yourself ripping through things. The people that have already organized into a loose group will get fed up and get rid of you.

If everyone else did leave, then why did you stay? People don’t pack up and leave for the hell of it. If everyone truly did leave, then there is a big reason why. And that is probably a big indication that you should too.

It won’t be an information vacuum. You won’t just walk into a desolate city without knowing about what caused that situation , what everyone has already done, and where everyone went. You won’t just sit in a magical hole in the wall and come out a week later after everything is said and done.

They tried to explain that in the “After Armageddon” show by saying that they stayed in the house for X amount of time until they finally decided to leave. But you will have far more interaction than that. You will have people moving through the neighborhood sharing information on what is happening in other parts of the city. You will have neighbors that take short trips and return and share information before they finally pack up and . out of the city..

Lastly ……. A basic extract of all the above……. Communications…… We are a social creature. We communicate. If there is operating vehicles, there will be operating two way radios. There will be people sharing information and organizing the unwashed masses into groups to maintain order. Your friend will introduce you to his friend, so on and so forth.

Groups of people will cordon off sections of land and guard it for their common good. They will communicate with people guarding other sections of land and merge their territories. They will naturally expand their territories because that will give them the most resources with the fewest smallest amount of border to guard.

A group that preys on outsiders can only survive when they are surrounded by uncontrolled land. For people that are hostile to outsiders, once they are surrounded by people that know of them, then their days are numbered.

People will communicate!!!!! That is a simple fact that they try to ignore on all of their doom flicks. If they didn’t ignore that, then they wouldn’t have a show.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Good post. Just a suggestion provided that the plan can be implemented. Have everything and every one you wish to protect out of Harms Way "BEFORE" the shtf. By being well provisioned, well hidden, with a commanding view of the area, you are at will put all the advantages in your hands. When did Noah build the Ark? "BEFORE" the rains came, not after. Get there first and get set up. Don't wait for it to come to you. Beat it to the punch. Doing things this way eliminates the risk of traveling while under possible enemy fire, being stopped by the cops or being "made" by some ones camera. If they cannot see, hear, feel or smell you, and have no clue that you are there, you hold all the trump cards. Use your ballistic advantage. If possible, hunt with a good crossbow. No sound, "Whispering death". Get in, and get out quickly. Leave nothing behind, not even your breath. Be sure to leave no trail to your new position. Eliminate any and all tracking devices, which can be found even in the tires of your car.

www.thefreelibrary.com...

Beat them to the punch using these two units. One is used to identify the tracking device, the other is used to eradicate it.

www.nextag.com...

www.electromax.com...

Leave no trails leading back to you.

Scoutsniper

new topics

top topics

join