It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about UBUNTU

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

I also run Windows 7 on my desktop, however, that is very rare. However, even when I go back to that system, it just doesn't compare in my opinion. I guess what sells me the most, other than what I wrote earlier and what you have posted, is that I have set it up exactly how I like it, which I can't do with Windows.

Just downloaded Sound Converter last night and played around with it. Very cool.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by alyoshablue

It also works for pandora the music stores as flash data in the temp directory and all you need to do is run it through sound converter rename the file and bam free mp3's or ogg if you prefer.
There is nothing I really need windows for right now but if I did I would either duel boot or run it in virtual box.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I hear you. I have four machines and run Ubuntu on all of them, with the exception of the desktop. I need to clean it up and set it run Win7 as a virtual machine.

Thanks for the heads up on Pandora. That's such an awesome thing. I can't agree more with you about Linux. I can't see myself ever using anything else.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Long time Linux user here. Ubuntu is the Flagship of Linux, it seems, and Mint is Ubuntu with a few more tricks and more eye candy. I know, and have ran the following Linux distributions on my machines in the past 5 years:

Ubuntu/Super OS/Kubuntu

VectorLinux

MEPIS Linux

Debian GNU/Linux

Mandriva Linux

PCLinux OS

Myah OS

BLAG Linux And GNU

Fedora-6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Running Linux is a matter of personal taste, performance, and ease of usage. Personally, I prefer the RPM based Distros better than the DEB ones. All Debian derivatives are DEB, Mandriva, PCL, Blag, and Fedora are all RPM based. I like the Synaptic Package manager, and Mandriva/ PC Linux has the best security configurations. Fedora used to have synaptic, but hasn't for a long time now, it uses the YUM package manager. I like Fedora the best of all, and I have tried way more than listed above. Codecs and other licensed programs have to be installed via script, one is called Autoten, the other is EasyLife.

My advice? Want to run Linux, Free software that you own the license, and you can change to suit yourself, with a variety of Desktops, including Gnome, KDE, XLFX, LXE, and Open Box? Then DO IT! I like an encrypted drive, Ubuntu offers that only in the Alternative Downloads section. Comes by default in Fedora, and Debian has this too. Encryption is a security option that I happen to appreciate.
You will need a good burner for Windows, here is an excellent one: CDBurnerXP. In Windows, download the iso and burn it as an iso image. Then download and burn this: Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN")

Now here is the time of consideration. I say if you want to run a free, and completely different operating system then you just need to go whole hog on it. Place DBAN in the CD Drive and start the computer. Press the correct key to select the start menu, and make it start on the CD. when it comes up, just press enter and DBAN will automatically erase your hard drive, making it like new. When DBAN is done, takes awhile on a large drive, mine is 250 Gb, it takes 5-6 hours. When DBAN is finished, place the CD/DVD of Linux in the drive. A "Live" CD/DVD will come up to an operating window, you can install from there. If you use the Alternative, you just install. Follow the prompts, and when you are finished, you can boot up into Linux. Find the Software Update Program and update, configure the Firewall, and go to the Distro Forum, all Linux platforms have one. Learn about your installation, and learn how to customize it to your liking. I would start with Gnome, ease of operation and easy to configure. KDE-4 is filled with eye candy, more than Vista Ultimate, but takes a little doing to fully customize it. Take your time. If you mess up, just reinstall. In a few months, after you have tried several Linux Distros, (called distro hopping) you will have probably settled on one that suits you. You can do anything in Linus, web cams, digital cameras, most printers work, you can install Open Office, a real good alternative for Microsoft Office, and available for Windows too.

When all is done, you are an experienced Linus "guru," now you can spread the word to all of your Windows friends. You will love the fast boots and stability of Linux, plus, no worries of viruses invading your machine, and Mozilla Firefox is fully configurable and fully customizable, with many good "Extensions."

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I feel the need to throw in a big yellow CAUTION sign here, for those who are considering switching to Linux:

*Make sure that your PC is compatible with the Linux distro you choose. Make sure you know what features you will lose if it is not fully compatible and make sure you are ok with losing them, BEFORE you make a final decision*

I've been using Linux for a few years (no dual booting) and had no compatibility problems with my HP laptop. I've recently purchased a new one, different brand and found out that most of the features will not be available, should I convert the entire system back to Linux Mint.

Examples: switchable graphics cards, shock system, energy saver system, etc.

I'm a fan of Linux, but there are definitely PC's out there, that are not friends with it. Don't find out the hard way!

edit on 17-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Just curious: why go through all the trouble of using DBAN? When installing Linux over Win it will completely wipe Win from the PC anyway unless one chooses a side by side install, no? DBAN seems an unnecessary and time consuming step... unless I'm missing something (not unheard of, Lol)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Actualy if it has not been mentioned new users should run Ubuntu under WUBI installer to try it out it adds itself as a windows program that can latter be removed. Its a great way to try ubuntu without making changes to your system.
www.ubuntu.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

There is also mint4win for Mint users. I was actually thinking of going that route with my new laptop now that it's not optimal to fully wipe the Win OS from it. Only hesitation I have is that I really liked Peppermint (rather than Mint) but it doesn't use mint4win do to technical issues. Still trying to decide between this and and dual-booting.

The caution I threw up there is just a reminder for those who are interested to make sure they know how Linux will effect their PC and its software before install while it may not be too late to troubleshoot.
edit on 17-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Great info, folks. As per LadySkadi's comments, I have to agree. After my first Ubuntu install, I had to find the right driver for my wi-fi. However, that was with 9.04. Since then, the driver is rolled into the distro by default and no problem.

Regardless, Canonical recently put out a list of components that best work with the Ubuntu distro and. possibly with Linux in general. You can find the list here:

www.ubuntu.com...

For those not aware, this should apply to all the Ubuntu spin off distros, like Mint, Peppermint, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc ...

I think this was already mentioned, but if not, a great resource to research distros is:

distrowatch.com...

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Which Hardware designs are you talking about here? I have installed Linux on Dells, , HPs, Compaqs. Acers, ad Custom Built PCs, with never a single problem at all. In fact, one girl who wanted free wireless internet loved PC Linux OS because it de-encrypts the wireless for her automatically. Linux will work on any machine, friend.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Just curious: why go through all the trouble of using DBAN? When installing Linux over Win it will completely wipe Win from the PC anyway unless one chooses a side by side install, no? DBAN seems an unnecessary and time consuming step... unless I'm missing something (not unheard of, Lol)

Yes, but DBAN erases the drive, wiping any virus, trojan, or any other nasty stuff off the drive. A format is not an erase. All a format does is install folders for a specific partition. Erasing Wipes the drive.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I'm talking specifically about the Lenovo thinkpads/ideapads, but I would suspect there are others. I've not tried installing Linux on it yet, but have read quite a few bummed out posters on the Lenovo forum who say they have put Ubuntu on their thinkpad/ideapad's and lost many of the features (i.e. the switchable graphics, the shock system, the energy saver system, face recognition, etc). Even one poster who claimed that dual-booting messed up the one-key recovery system (though I've already messed that up myself)... C'est la vie...

Now, reading the Ubuntu forums with regards to the same issues as those reported on the Lenovo forums, it seems that people are getting some features to work, but it's not out of the box and requires quite a bit of manual manipulation. Basically, someone has to decide if they are ready for that or not, hence my caution sign.

edit on 18-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I have jumped in with a lot of things on linux and the learning curve is great. The one thing though that I have really learned is you have got to do your homework with hardware. It took me a couple of printer trys before I found that HP printers work great. Don't even go at it with apple products its a headache I learned that when I got an Ipod touch I exchanged it for an archos tablet running droid.
I figure the best thing to do is run any new computer in live mode to try out all the hardware. That is if you can.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The linux god will now inform you...

first yes, you can have both..by dual booting.. its not hard to do..unless you have never done it...I will explain here.

first.. download linux mint 10 ..pay attention to wether you need the 32 or 64 bit version..
32 will work on a 64 bit pc... But 64bit will not work on a 32.

once you have downloaded it.. stick a blank disk in your drive and then go to the
linux file, right click on it..and choose burn to disk.. let it make a disk...

there..you now have a linux installation disk... Leave it in the drive

now..comes the important part...

there are 2 ways to do this... The easy way, and the knowlegeable way...

if you know how to go into windows and shrink your windows partition and make an
empty space of about..say... 2 to 5 gigs.. fine... If not..then dont worry...There is a wizard in linux to do it for you...

ok..so we shall assume you dont know...Reboot your pc and watch for the first screen that says.. boot menu ..and hit that key...

you should get a menu that lists your cd dvd drive..choose that one..

you will now boot up to linux menu...Choose install linux or run linux.. either way ends up at the same place ....

if you run ...Then you will get to a linux desktop... Yes there is an install button...
but not so fast here !!!

the trick to any linux is to make sure that a few important things are working...

go ahead and check... Sound.... and internet...Find the icon and click on your network..it will then connect... If you can not get that to happen wirelessly....
then you may not want to use this version of linux mint... May need...Version 8...

so lets say... Wireless..sound and video work ok...Cool.. now go click the install button...

just click ok or forward untill you get to the disk partition section and choose...
install side by side... And run with it from there....answer questions or make choices
as needed..when its done... It will say reboot

pull out your disk.. reboot...

when the menu comes up... Chooose linux at the top ...And enjoy..

remember..linux isnt window... Its like..horses and zebras... They look like they do the same thing...And they do....but they do it differently....

take time to learn linux and you wil be very happy...�

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 3/29/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join