It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding the facts behind a UFO/alien photo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Hi,

When relatively new members of ATS post a photo of a UFO or alien that many of us have seen on ATS (or elsewhere) before, it is fairly common to see a few frustrated members respond by posting something like "please use the search function before posting".

Often, that is not very constructive advice since if someone has merely seen a photo online then it may be very difficult to search for relevant existing threads. What keywords are to be used? What names or places would narrow the search?

Unless there was some text accompanying the photo, it can be rather difficult to search for relevant information.

However, recently several new search tools have been introduced which can help in this sort of situation.

These tools are called "reverse image search engines" and include:

(1) Tineye (www.tineye.com...) - This tool is great is you have an image and want to locate websites displaying it. I've only started using it very recently, but my initial impression is that it has a lot of potential if you merely have an image and want to find websites displaying that image (so that you can see if that website has any names, dates, places etc to accompany the image - which is a great help in finding additional information).

(2) Gazopa (www.gazopa.com...) - This is supposed to be able to find similar images to one that you already have. I've tried to use it to find the original versions of images that I suspect have been altered. However, my initial impression is that it needs a LOT more work - the search results have very few similarities to most of the images I've tried so far.

I wish that these tools (particularly Tineye) had been available a few years ago. A few bits of UFO research that I've done would have been far, far quicker...

A few questions:

(1) Has anyone else tried using these tools for UFO research? Was it a productive experience? Does anyone have any practical tips as a result?

(2) Could a few other people give these tools a try in relation to images in current threads on ATS and post back here whether they found these tools useful?

(3) More generally, are there any other internet tools (or practical tips) that you would add for someone that has an image and is thinking of starting a thread on it - other than the basic "use the search function before posting" tip that can be frustrating for less experienced members that can't think how to start such a search?

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Issac. Great to see you posting here again!

Those look like good tools for a new search.

That has always been a difficult problem. How to define a search like this.

I will give them a go and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Now all we need are some better photos!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Thanks Issac. I have used GazPa numerous time without much luck. Some similar photos but never an exact match. Maybe some of the more experienced members can come on and show us newbies how to properly use the search on ATS. Some tips and tricks for using it effectively. I am discovering that it can be difficult. I have even see some experienced Members who have failed to use the search properly.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
I have used GazPa numerous time without much luck. Some similar photos but never an exact match.

I don't think Gazopa (www.gazopa.com) is intended to find an exact match. It is supposed to find similar images - but I haven't found it very productive.

However, Tineye (www.tineye.com) IS supposed to find exact matches and actually seems to be able to find quite a few (but not all) relevant webpages. So far, I've found it pretty useful in tracking down relevant webpages in a few seconds after uploading an image or entering the URL for an image.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

If you have firefox you can get an add on for tiny eye that means you can search any picture on a page with just a right click.

I find it works really well for most of the images that go round and round the net over and over again

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Hey, Isaac. Here's one for you.
Got some photos, yes i'm new, but these are mine.
Can you give me your opinion?
Posted a description in a forum this morning "Orion Anomalies"
The photos can be found in my profile under an album called "unknown"
Unsure if you can zoom in on the pictures in the site, so let me know and i can e-mail them.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
If you have firefox you can get an add on for tiny eye that means you can search any picture on a page with just a right click.

Mmm. Sounds good to me. I'll install the add-on to my Firefox later. Thanks for mentioning this.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by irolands
Hey, Isaac. Here's one for you.
Got some photos, yes i'm new, but these are mine.
Can you give me your opinion?

Hi irolands,

Feel free to email the photos to me (username at gmail.com) and/or let me have a link to the thread you have posted them in.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi
Hi,

When relatively new members of ATS post a photo of a UFO or alien that many of us have seen on ATS (or elsewhere) before, it is fairly common to see a few frustrated members respond by posting something like "please use the search function before posting".

been a member for almost 3 years now, (lurking) though only a few months back i changed my username and just recently started a thread..

of course i got loads of images, compliments of google mars apps.
and i want to bring up the level of aliens/ufo reseach to a level where what we would be looking at are images we can relate to and not just focus on non-entities such as rocks and flying discs.

images on rocky or flat terrains are presumably a product on light and shadow cofiguration, and ufo's or disc shape crafts could be real, but the question is who's "flying" them?

and "them" is what perks my interest...
so im gonna share with you the image of my favorite martian and just maybe you got some real gadgets to get on to this image more closely, will be mighty glad to hear from you...

and a bit of close up...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Hey Isaac,

I've used TinEye a bunch. I've had the best results with that one and I think all the rest are playing catch up.

Here's a little comparison I found - (this probably won't display properly)

Reverse image search tool | The algorithm (seems to be) based on
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TinEye - Exact match
Byo - Color similarity
Gazopa - Color and shape similarity

new topics

top topics

join