It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many Gods are there anyhow?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just wondering...I would like to hear about the other Gods that the bible speaks about.

Genesis 1:26

And God said, let us make man in our image.

-here and in the quotes to come God is talking about US and OUR, and he is speaking to the other gods around at the time. He could have said ME in MY image.. but he didn't. Also, he would have been talking to himself : /

Genesis 3:22
And the Lord God said, Behold, then man is become as one of us, to know good and evil.

Genesis 11:7
Let us go down, and there confound their language.

Exodus 12:12
And against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment.

Exodus 15:11
Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods?

Exodus 18:11
Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods.

Exodus 20:3, 5
Thou shalt have no other gods before me. ... Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them.

Exodus 22:20
He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Exodus 22:28
Thou shalt not revile the gods.

Exodus 23:13
Make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.

Exodus 23:24
Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images.

Exodus 23:32
Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods.

Exodus 34:14
For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

Numbers 33:4
Upon their gods also theLORD executed judgments.

Deuteronomy 3:24
What God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to thy works?

Deuteronomy 5:7
Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

Deuteronomy 6:14-15
Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;(For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you)

Deuteronomy 10:17
For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords.

Deuteronomy 28:14
Thou shalt not ... go after other gods to serve them.

Joshua 24:2
They served other gods.

Joshua 24:14
Fear the Lord ... and put away the gods which your fathers served.

Judges 11:24
Wilt not thou possess that which Chemosh thy god giveth thee to possess?

1 Samuel 6:5
Ye shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure he will lighten his hand from off you, and from off your gods.

1 Samuel 28:13
And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

1 Chronicles 16:25
The Lord ... is to be feared above all gods.

Psalm 82:1
God standeth in the congregation of the mighty, he judgeth among the gods.

Psalm 82:6
I have said, Ye are gods.

Psalm 86:8
Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord.

Is there a 3rd chapter or something that describes the other gods and their powers and domains?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
In for answers.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is a good question, and one I've asked different leaders from different religious backgrounds. Of course, they all say the same thing ' there's only One! ' But I have to wonder as well. In genesis, you have a god talking to someone else. Soooo... is he really talking to someone else, or mad with boredom and talking to himself? Or does he have multiple personality syndrome?Others say ' he was talking to the holy spirit and jesus ' M'kay, if you say so. But does god have to hold a stockholder's meeting every time he wants to do something?
In all seriousness.... the first fellow in genesis is actually the demiurge, a reflection of the Source, the True God. He is only an architect of matter, not a creator. In fact, somewhere close by you will see the quote " You are mistaken, Samael." That is the given name of the jealous, petty, spiteful god that had a problem with foresight. After all, he had to make man three times to get him right, and even then the True God came and breathed the Fire of Life into Adam's body.
This is for the 'christian' religion. As for the Hindu, there are over 2 million gods, goddesses, avatars, servants, yada, yada. Then one gets into the Kame of Japan, and Animists of China... wow. They all come from one Unknowable, Unnameable Source. The True Light Behind All.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
that's why the "god" or Yahweh of the old testament is a mean old bastard. It's also why I worship Lucifer

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There are as many gods as you need for there to be.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Some are mentioned in the bible.

Here are some:

Dagon god of the Philistines
Baal god of the Canaanites
Merodach & Bel gods of the Babylonians

As to your question there is only 1 GOD, but there are many gods, perhaps the number is unknown because as some cultures went extent, so did there gods.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Well, the mention in Genesis 1...might be a use of the royal plural. Though it does seem to appear that way in every single translation I can find. I am having trouble parsing together the Hebrew conjugation though. I wish I had kept those notes I had taken...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

SaturnFX,

The answer is found in Isa. 44:6 and you see who He is conferring with. I can quote it from memory. "Thus saith the LORD King of Israel and His Redeemer LORD of Hosts, I am the first and I am the last and beside me there is no God". The plural form of God in the original language is used here as it refers to the "Godhead".

What most don't understand is "King" of Israel, of heavenly Jerusaleum, gave of Himself that Redeemer before anything, all things were then created by the Redeemer. He too is the eternal preexistent one with the King. He was made equal that He could be the Redeemer as He had to be equal to or above the law. It just so happens though He was the one giving the law. This can be seen as Yahshua, Jesus proclaimed "I am the first and the last" and this not being blastphemy. I explain this in my thread "These Stand on The Rock"

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Seems pretty obvious to me that most of these quotes are about false gods. For example, when God says not to have any other gods before him, he doesn't mean that other gods actually exist... Just that you shouldn't worship any god but him because there IS no other god than him.

Of course... The first two verses you quote where God says "Let us..." don't make sense the way the others do, and you raise a good point about that.

The one in genesis is one that many ancient alien theorists point to as evidence of God being extraterrestrial. Personally though... I don't worry about it too much. The Bible is a collection of books written a very long time ago by imperfect men. There's bound to be some things that don't make sense.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The ancient Hebrews believed in plenty of other Gods besides Yahweh.

That is the exact reason why the First Commandment is what it is. Yahweh, originally a tribal war-god, is reminding his chosen people of the bargain they made with him: that if they worshipped only him, he would make them victorious in battle.

The ancient world was lousy with gods and godlets. There was one behind every cloud, inside every tree, under every stone. The Mesopotamian and Levantine deities mentioned in the Bible, such as Baal and Ashtaroth, are only the more important ones.

ATS member undo is a mine of information on the subject, though she has some pretty weird theories mixed in with all her facts.

Off ATS, I've found an interesting treatment of the subject in Karen Armstrong's book A History of God. I'm sure there are resources on the net, too.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
If you believe in god"s",then you believe power is seperated amongst everything in existence. A im having a bad day god. A toaster god. A toaster strudel didnt come with enough icing god. A god that makes it snow.

Obviously their is one god.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whipsandchainsamerica
If you believe in god"s",then you believe power is seperated amongst everything in existence. A im having a bad day god. A toaster god. A toaster strudel didnt come with enough icing god. A god that makes it snow.

Obviously their is one god.

Obviously...because a bunch of magical invisible friends makes no sense...but one all powerful magical invisible friend does...just obvious

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Just wondering...I would like to hear about the other Gods that the bible speaks about.

Here is a link for you, that i just have found International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

I. IN THE OLD TESTAMENT
1. Superhuman Beings (God and Angels)
2. Judges, Rulers
3. Gods of the Nations
4. Superiority of Yahweh to Other Gods
5. Regulations Regarding the Gods of the Nations
6. Israel's Tendency to Idolatry

Hope that helps your research.

Peace

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Here is a list of the Gods and Goddesses in the Bible, there are many more in Mythology and Legends.

Adrammelech II Kings 17:31 Sepharvite God.

Anammelech II Kings 17:31 Sepharvite God.

Ashima II Kings 17:30 Samaritan Moon Goddess.

Ashtoreth I Kings 11:05 Canaanite Goddess.

Baal I Kings 18:19 Canaanite God ("Lord") of
fertility, vegitation, and storms.

Baal-berith Judges 8:33 A regional variation/aspect of Baal.

Baal-peor Numbers 25:03 Moabite regional variation/aspect of
Baal.

Baal-zebub Luke 11:19 Philistine/Ekronian regional
variation/aspect of Baal.

Baalim I Kings 18:18 Canaanite Gods ("Lords"), a
collective of the different
aspects of Baa.

Bel Isiah 46:01 Assyrian/Babylonian/Sumerian God
("Lord").

Chemosh I Kings 11:07 Moabite war God.

Dagon I Samuel 05:02 Philistine/Ekronian/Babylonian God
of agriculture.

Diana of the
Ephesians Acts 19:35 Ephesian moon and nature Goddess,

("Divine/Brilliant").

Jehovah Exodus 6:03 Hebrew God
(Also sometimes known as El Shaddi)
Jupiter Acts 14:12 Roman God (possibly derived from
'Zeus-pater', Father Zeus).

Lucifer Isiah 14:12 ("Light-Bearer")

Mercurius Acts 14:12 Otherwise known as the Roman God

Mercury, God of communication and
travel, and messenger of the

Gods...which is probably why Paul
was called this at Lystra.

Milcom I Kings 11:05 Ammonite God

Molech I Kings 11:07 Ammonite God, also called Moloch,
most probably Baal-Hammon of
Carthage.

Nebo Isiah 46:01 Assyrian/Babylonian/Chaldean God of
wisdom and writing, also called
Nabu.

Nergal II Kings 17:30 Cuth/Assyrian/Babylonian war and
underworld God, also called
Meshlamthea.

Nibhaz II Kings 17:31 Avites God

Nisroch II Kings 19:37 Assyrian God

Rimmon II Kings 05:18 Babylonian/Syrian storm God
involved (as Ramman) with the

Deluge, according to Hebrew texts;
also known as Ramman/Rammon.

Succoth-benoth II Kings 17:30 Babylonian fertility Goddess ("She
Who Produces Seed"), also known as
Zarpanitu/Zerpanitum.

Tammuz Ezekial 8:14 Assyrian/Babylonian God

Tartak II Kings 17:31 Avites God

Notice how many of them are called "Lord." Where did that word come from?

Lord derives from Old English hláford , itself reduced from an earlier form hláfweard = hláf ‘bread or loaf’ + *weard ’ keeper, guard, warder.’ The lord guarded the larder and decided who ate bread at his table. The word lord’s popularity and persistence in English was guaranteed once early Bible translators decided to use it as the translation of the Vulgate’s Latin term for God and Jesus, dominus (Latin, head of the domus Latin ‘house’). To dominate meant originally is to lord it over other members of the household.

Source

For myself, I have no "Lord," no "Warder," and no "Master," and I do not prostate myself before anyone whatsoever. As you can see, the word itself was taken by the Latin Priests and made into their version of God/Jesus in their quest for control of the world.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'll be the troll here and say:
Maybe he is like the Gollum,with a split personality and he refers to himself as US.

Well from the quotes you have here,i can understand that he is someone that he wants to take control over the other gods.It would make a great a gangsta rap song

He somehow admits the existence of other gods(therefore he is not the ONE god/just better marketing),who were here before him.
As to how many,propably hundreds.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Electric Crown

Electric Crown,

The way I see it all who do not worship Yahweh worship Lucifer. Many believe Lucifer is the good god and I guess I wonder why.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthiron
reply to post by Electric Crown

Electric Crown,

The way I see it all who do not worship Yahweh worship Lucifer. Many believe Lucifer is the good god and I guess I wonder why.

Truthiron.

I find it interesting you label Lucifer as a god, I thought Yahweh was the one and only.... On a side note there are a lot of people who do not worship anyone, your views on things seem skewed..

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

jheated5,

Lucifer is "god of this world" the scripture states, but notice the little "g". He is not God.

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them

There is "g"ods many but only one Real God, Yahweh, and for me Allah is not Yahweh. Neither is their Jesus my Jesus as my Jesus is God as only the blood of God could suffice. He tells us, "if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins" Joh. 8:24

We must know who he is for sure.

Thanks for the reply.

Truthiron..

new topics

top topics

join