It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorting posts in a thread by number of stars???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Is it possible to sort the posts within a thread by the number of stars?

I know it is possible to sort all the threads within a forum by the number of flags, e.g. the link below shows the threads in the HOAX forum in descending number of flags.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Assuming that the most informative posts within an individual thread are likely to be among the most starred posts in that thread, I'd like to sort some of the longer threads by stars in the hope of finding the most informative posts more quickly.

Some of the threads within the HOAX forum are quite long...

All the best,

Isaac
edit on 21-12-2010 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I don't think there is.

But I've been thinking about a feature like this for some time now.

I can NOT sift through threads with umpteen pages. I would love the ability to sort by stars, and then also, have a "drop down box" on each starred comment, where you can view replies to that comment, and even reply yourself.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It seems to me that would keep the discussions from flowing smoothly. Just because someone didn't get a lot of stars doesn't mean their post is not of interest to me.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
It seems to me that would keep the discussions from flowing smoothly. Just because someone didn't get a lot of stars doesn't mean their post is not of interest to me.

Absolutely true...

But what about the people that want it the other way..? Give the option, let them choose...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
None that I have ever seen. No there is not...

Besides, organizing a thread by stars would interupt the flow of the thread anyway. It would not make any sense... the posts would be all jumbled and out of order of time of posting... and it just would not work.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Dupe.

gimme_some_truth posted the same thought.
edit on 21-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Besides, organizing a thread by stars would interupt the flow of the thread anyway. It would not make any sense... the posts would be all jumbled and out of order of time of posting... and it just would not work.

If I wanted to read the entire thread, your point would be correct.

However, let's say I want to find the most informative post (or the most informative 3 or 5 posts) that really help you quickly get to grips with the information that emerged in a long, long thread - how you you find them?

Simply read all the posts in order?

Is that really the most efficient way of proceeding?

It may be that finding the post with the most stars do not highlight the best posts, but it would give a starting point that I'd like to try in some of the longer threads.

The information on the number of stars for each post is presumably stored in the ATS databases, I simply wonder if it is possible to make use of that resource.

edit on 21-12-2010 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
To the posters above me:

It would be an individual choice - so if they like their threads jumbled, let them have it, what do either of you care how someone else reads a thread..?

And anyways, after 20 pages, it would be nice to see how the 'community' feels about the individual responses without having to go back through the whole thing...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Sorting by the number of stars, you're relying on others to tell you what is and isn't "good" content. Usually I have faith in the judgement of members here on ATS, but I don't always find the posts with the most stars more informative than some that have fewer stars,... or maybe none at all. I understand if you'd like to get through a thread more quickly, but by sorting it the way you want, you might actually be missing some good information. The majority of any population isn't always right about everything. Just saying.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Sorting by the number of stars, you're relying on others to tell you what is and isn't "good" content.

What a rookie assumption...you now know what other members want out of a thread..? The mentality on this thread is amazing - once again those who are not thinking outside of their own world need to reevaluate what this site is...

It's a place for an individual to go to look at content in any way they choose...if I choose this option, am I preventing you from reading the thread the way you want to..? No...

Some weak responses on this one...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
I understand if you'd like to get through a thread more quickly, but by sorting it the way you want, you might actually be missing some good information.

Again, I'm interested in trying out such a function (if it exists) to see how good it is at finding the most informative posts quickly and efficiently.

I'm not suggesting it is the one true way to enlightenment.

I have in mind simply using such a search as a starting point to try and get a grip on the available information quickly when looking at a long thread.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

IsaacKoi,

You got to know that the truthful Replies are the ones most unpopular today as has always been the case. I scan them to catch the best ones and then read them. The same goes for the Threads.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hey, I've got it....how about a spider of some sort that goes into each thread, evaluates all the word usage, then compiles its own statement that stays sticky at the top which is ALSO constantly changing with additional posts that are made, and then people can read that and get a snapshot of a collective idea or opinion! Could be fun!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Good idea OP
Flagged

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthiron
IsaacKoi,

You got to know that the truthful Replies are the ones most unpopular today as has always been the case.

While the flagging and starring systems are far from perfect (in particular, all too often sensational threads get lots of flags even if there is no evidence given to support the claim), but in general my experience is that the more insightful and informative posts in a thread get more stars than other posts.

So, I'm still keen to see any method of quickly finding the most starred posts in a long thread.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm with craisydaisy, gimmesometruth, and LadySkadi on this one.

It's like reading only the chapters of a book that you like, or are rated highly by others. There are many gems that are often overlooked by the star system.

with respect........

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Are you aware that there is a Dark or Light button you can hit that will change the screen appearance..?

Do you think when you make a choice in that regard that everyone else's screen goes Dark or Light as well..?

No, because your choice does NOT affect other members' ability to read threads and posts the way they want to...you choosing to go Dark does not mean every other members' screen will appear Dark as well. Just yours...it would be the same with choosing to put posts in a particular order - only you would see it that way.

So, knowing this - why would you care if another member chooses to read a thread in a particular way..? Unless you do not want them to read the thread that way, which would mean you want everyone else on the boards to read the thread the way you want them to...

Hopefully you completely mis-understood the OP...

edit on 22-12-2010 by facelift because: content edit

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Nope, sorry there isn't any way to do that. I have a workaround I use, though. Maybe it'll work for you. In the big threads, I'll sometimes run across one member who seems to really have a grasp of the subject matter and some excellent insight. I'll use the "posts in thread" option which sorts out just that member's posts. Frequently, there'll be enough quoting going on that you can get a real good feel for what's gone on in the thread.

This is especially useful to me when I choose a member with whom I've become familiar enough that I have some confidence in their contributions.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Then why not also have a list that shows posters in alphabetical order?

Or by start date?

How about if they are an active poster, or someone that doesn't post that often?

Sometimes you have to draw the line somewhere and if you need to read just by the amount of stars that a poster has gotten in a thread, I think that you are missing the point of following a discussion.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

I think that you are missing the point of following a discussion.

I'm out...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join