It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net neutrality under attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

By a 3-2 vote Tuesday, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) passed so-called “Net Neutrality” rules aimed at prohibiting internet service providers (ISPs) from discriminating between Internet traffic.

Click here for news source......

The first line sounds good but when you dig deeper you'll find that it is actually a bad decision on part of the fcc and does the opposite to it's intention..
edit on 21-12-2010 by stealthc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Maybe the title should be called "Net freedom under attack"

They are enacting what they call net neutrality. This is going to (at some point) end in content control of the internet. To be honest, I don't completely understand what this bill is addressing, the quote below from faux news...

The rules would prohibit phone and cable companies from abusing their control over broadband connections to discriminate against rival content or services, such as Internet phone calls or online video, or play favorites with Web traffic

it seems as the FCC has their regulatory eye on the internet.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
this is the millionth thread on this today.
I have been reasonable in the other threads. I have tried to educate and make people look past corporate spin.

now

I am afraid I must simply set fire to the entire internet...I see it for the evil thing it is now..a source of endless spin and non-reading or searching.

It must be done..die internet, die and go back to the infernal hell you arose from!!

but leave the lolcats...those are funny!

(aka, there are like 20 other threads on this..take your pick)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The FCC issued an edict and decree in Novermber saying that they will order "Net Neutrality" if it is threatened so this is not to be taken seriously.
edit on 21-12-2010 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthc

Wake up people.

You are on ATS!

It does not matter what the current topic of debate is.

The MSM will beat the words into your subconscious via NLP.

Then people will come to accept whatever the money makers want.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
lol the money interests will never beat the hackers and linux developers we are too powerful of a force to reckon with. All that they are dependent on to make their plan work is un-doable by us. It is up to us to switch to linux and undo the trojan windows operating system windows 7 to make your computer into a legislated spy-machine.

TPTB have a silent hand when it comes to rigging computer protocols to work their way and to their advantage, but with open source it would be tough for them to get away with it. The linux community has better support than windows, things actually get fixed quick and end users actually have feedback towards it's improvement. The linux community doesn't use people for their ideas, not the way microsoft does as they use ideas to profiteer from and offer their creators nothing. The panopticon seeks to incorporate corporate data sources on you, create machine profiles, and regulate software developers to incorporate "their" standards, go figure. We must define our own net neutrality by creating the right software that strips the system of their ability to do much of anything on the net; it is not their domain and it is up to us to create something that removes their usurped powers.

I've advocated a torrent underweb, and with this piece of software one could get rid of any off-switch type power the government could ever have. They could shut down the web; but with this combined with the right routers that can run hacked bios, we could create a shadow mesh network that does relies on distribution of wireless devices rather than internet service providers. The whole of vancouver island has wireless routers that rather than connect with isps could connect with each other and provide us with an open, impossible to regulate (through the panopticon) internet.

These court decisions only serve to affirm to the community that we must offer the system no choice on the matter, and just as p2p offered them no choice in terms of file sharing (at least here in canada) even if the laws were to change to make it more illegal, the peer software would adapt to make exchanges less traceable (and has with random ports, ssl and proxy capabilities). All we have to do is take this a few steps further and it won't matter what the system uses wikileaks for, we can trump out their cia asset and war on free speech.

Nobody here discusses the finer points of this debate. No one mentions the sheer waste of resources having hackers waste their time at unproductive cyber warefare type things (speaking of anonymous), or elitist behaving wikileaks leader julian assange, who had a jet setting lifestyle and pissed away millions of dollars to run something that those millions of dollars could have created the software for, easy.

I have no doubt this guy is only a distraction so that we don't take that next step and do a final trump on the system, mr. assange is the guy they put in charge so we would avoid the bother of doing what is rightfully needed.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Net Neutrality. Kinda like being just a little pregnant.

Funny how the ONLY problem I have with my internet is the sites under attack by the government and their FCC bulldog......but then we have idiots actually calling for the government to start and regulate the webs. PURE idiocy.

So, how are you going to foment regulation on the net? Can I ask you geniuses that question? Do you not have to have CONTROL of something before you can regulate?

YEAH, that is what I THOUGHT! Idiots.

new topics

top topics

join