It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Declaration of Independence for the Soul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I’d like to continue the discussion I started here with regards to the nature of reality. That elicited quite a few replies and, as I’d feared, a lot of people took it upon themselves to instruct us on what life is all about. Indeed, I received one message inviting me to become an apprentice to a guru-type fellow who has it all down.

With all due respect to those who think they know with certainty how it all works, I don’t think you do though, of course, I’ll never insist on it because I simply don’t know. I do think there is something amiss with what I will call “The System.” Something is wrong here. Something is not quite right.

To review: The basic idea is that we live our lives through a series of reincarnations. The line we are given is that our souls inhabit a human body so that we can “learn things” to help us advance to a higher plain. This “Earth School” is some sort of accelerator and is highly sought after. In other words, souls want bodies—badly. Many religions teach this sort of thing and it is very common in New Age thinking.

Now, I’m not immune from the draw toward earthly pleasures. If I were a disincarnated entity who could only think, even though much knowledge would be available to me, I can see where wanting to actually get laid—instead of just think about it—might prompt me to find a body. The same is true of listening to Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, tasting an orange, or watching a beautiful sunset. And, of course, there’s all this stuff about relationships and how we trade the various roles around. Once a Private, then a General; once a lover, then a parent, it all seems pretty giddy to me.

Now there are over 6 billion of us presently. My original issue was that for the majority of humans who have ever lived (over 100 billion) life hurts. It’s fraught with disease, warfare, early death, starvation—you name it. So I’m wondering, what’s the point again? And that’s where I left it last time.

The possibilities are that some entity or entities (God or gods, if you want) started this whole thing up, some entity or entities started this thing in motion, or it evolved on its own to what we have today. Earlier in my life when I was more certain of myself I would have gone with the latter easily. The old atheist in me still admits this as a possibility. But I’m thinking that idea less and less probable and also, it probably does not matter. And probably (just probably) someone is in charge today, even if it’s a committee.

I do not think this reincarnation cycle is a good thing, despite the minor pleasures that may be involved. The pain is too great for whatever little gain can be expected. If this is true look at the scenarios that have to go down here.

“OK,” says your Oversoul, “let’s plan your next life. This time we’ll put your hormones on overdrive. We’ll make you very smart, but very gay. We’ll make you so horny that you’ll seek out partners in every restroom and every park in the country. You’ll say it’s a celebration, but that will be an excuse for promiscuity. Then you’ll get AIDS and die a protracted and very horrible agonizing death, having spread your disease to many other people. Your boyfriends will all leave you and your estate will be depleted. You’ll die childless and alone.”

Or how about this? “This time we’ll make you a child of the heartland. You’ll grow up on a farm where life is hard. You’ll escape to the Army where they will train you to be a tail gunner in a B-29. Then you’ll fly over Germany where your plane will be responsible for the fiery deaths of many civilians on the ground before being shot down by a German fighter. You’ll be wounded with multiple fractures as your airplane plummets 30,000 feet to the ground with you inside. You know what’s happening as you take several minutes falling to the ground. Death is welcome.”

What did the first guy learn? That promiscuity can lead to bad things? And the second? Flying through the air is cool unless you get killed? We can come up with 6 billion examples. Most of them are more mundane. People starving to death, dying of the Black Plague, working as slaves, most with no hope of a better life.

We appear to be programmed to come down to this plain and live pre-conceived lives. I don’t know how much free will is involved, but couldn’t we, metaphorically speaking, have just read it in a book? Why is the pain necessary? And that’s what is wrong. It is morally wrong. This should not be happening to us. Our Oversouls may be just as trapped as we are, but the fact is, someone or something set this whole system up. It isn’t an accident. And there’s no reason it can’t be changed, although I doubt it can effectively be changed at this level.

I also categorically reject the idea that Mankind is bad and sinful and must atone for what he has done. That’s a pervasive thought in our religions, but I wonder. Was Jesus actually saying, “If you follow me, you can get out of this mess.”? Was that message suppressed? I don’t know, and I’m not suggesting we follow that train of thought any further here. It’s just a possibility to take up later on.

What I think needs to happen at some level (and I’m not sure at what level it is) is another Declaration of Independence. That document started out this way:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

And I want this declaration applied at the level of the soul so that we, as soulful entities can be freed from the shackles of this unnecessary, harmful, and completely immoral reincarnation roller coaster and left to pursue our own happiness without the dreadful burden it imposes upon us. I want to declare a revolution of the souls to rise up and refuse to be a part of this tyranny any longer.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There is something absurdly comical about all this that I can't quite nail down at the moment, will have to reflect on it a while and get back to you, at a later date..

edit on 21-12-2010 by NewAgeMan because: word repeat fixed.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

One of the things that I enjoy about being an atheist is the freedom from dogmatic beliefs. After two decades and then some in the christian churches, various denominations, seeking god as hard as I could - I came to the conclusion that if he does exist - he doesn't want to be found, or realized any more than already exists. I found those beliefs of souls, afterlife, heaven, hell, gehenna/sheol, paradise earth to be taxing on the life that I currently am living. Not that the moral principles (in general) were cumbersone, I DO consider myself to have an above average system of morals - but that the promise of something far better than this life, did in fact DULL this life.
It never promised me anything TANGIBLE, or anything for the here & now - it was all in the future. I worried about it. I worried if I would make it or not, worried about my loved ones who weren't "religious" - I worried about everyone. I felt burdened by it that they wouldn't accept the message as fervently as I did, and that maybe they were not fully understanding the implications that would result from NOT accepting and NOT believing. I worried that I never "got the holy ghost" like the other people around me did - I thought something was wrong with ME....and then the thought hit me...."what if they are ALL just full of crap?"
The thought of an afterlife is not something I worry about right now. I have a life right now that I aim to do my best in. If reincarnation IS true, then it will happen anyway. I don't recall any instructions before taking on this life, actually I don't even remember ANYTHING prior to being around 4 years old (36 years ago), so I don't expect any amount of speculation in this life on that subject will divulge any information on the subject further than what can be speculated upon.
So much time can be spent on this subject with nothing really gained, there will be no final truth added to it to seal the deal or absolutely guarantee it. The only thing that we are guaranteed is the immediate moment we are experiencing as time marches along. Anything before that is already gone, and anything after that moment is nothing but a probability....with NO guarantee.

There's more to be said on this - and perhaps I will continue tomorrow.

Peace

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

That was excellent, thanks for sharing! And congratulations, which may sound rather unusual coming from a budding Christian mystic like myself, but check this out, and you'll see where I'm coming from and why my spirit rejoices over your own declaration of freedom, and your willingness, and bravery, to question, and to chart your own path.

The Stages of Spiritual Growth
by M. Scott Peck, MD
author of "The Road Less Travelled"

www.escapefromwatchtower.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Interesting thread schuyler. You raise a lot of important questions.

Why would any soul choose to incarnate into someone who has to endure a lot of abuse and torture, or a soldier who's forced to kill a lot of people? Or a paraplegic or quadroplegic, or someone with down syndrome, or, or.....?

Why wouldn't every soul just choose the tropical paradise with naked babes everywhere?

Why does pain and suffering exist at all?

(And no, NOT gay. Just ask my ex-gfs!
)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

If your aim is to do good, you're on the right track... 'Nough said.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Assuming reincarnation is a real concept... it would actually make life easier.
You know there is some "between lives" time, which would mean there is a reason to it all and everything will be ok between lives or after the cycle. You may be screaming you want out of the cycle now, but maybe you see things differently or have a deeper understanding between lives.

I gave up dreaming of my afterlife, and started taking advantage of my present life. The world is a much more beautiful place when you just focus on the present.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Ah, the present... I understand it to be a much faster refresh rate than what you get with your flat screen tv!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I just don't see a point to learning things if we could have just started with the knowledge in the first place. The Creator could have simply given us what we had to learn in the first place!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
I just don't see a point to learning things if we could have just started with the knowledge in the first place. The Creator could have simply given us what we had to learn in the first place!

I think he wants to find us and us him in eternity, so that at some point down the line, both can be surprised and rejoice together!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
And in the interim, perhaps there aint nothing we can do, but

Ramble on!

We'll all find what we're looking for, what we need, what we pray for, it's all there, maybe we're just getting all bent out of shape over nothing..?

I think there's a blind spot in the realm of the uknown unknown, and why even try to rush such a thing.. there's no worries, no panic I don't think.

Maybe it IS "all good" as they say.. anything's possible.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Very nice Opening Post. It's amazing how much I feel like I can identify with your overall viewpoint; your outlook at life and the possibilities this existence might entail. But I feel you are over-analysing, over-thinking things to a point where you are starting to see unhappiness in topics that are more neutral. I am also happy to admit I do not know the answers to the Big Questions - I eagerly await an "awakening" to take place that will improve things for those of us caught up in this existence. It does feel like The Truth has been suppressed and those in power want to keep it that way.

But it just reminds me of listening to your favourite song and getting caught in the semantics while missing out on the beauty. There are times you want to separate the instruments, break up the song into its parts, and analyse the words alone for a deeper understanding. Unfortunately, this often results in wasting time that could be better spent enjoying what you set out to do in the first place - experience the music and feel embraced by the energy it emits into your soul.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Think of it like this. Imagine you instantly receive everything you have ever wanted. Every desire, fantasy, relationship, experience and excess you might wish comes to you instantly. No effort is needed, you are granted these desires and there is truly no limit to what you can acquire by doing so. (REALLY think about this scenario as deeply as you can.)

One day passes.
One week passes.
One year passes.
One century passes.
One millennium passes...and so on.

Wouldn't you then see the opportunity to live in a world where you can forget certain things to be enticing? Returning to a time when you had not discovered the taste of chocolate for instance; or witnessed the sight of an enormous elephant wondering in the fields of nature; or kissing your wife for the very first time? Imagine being able to relive the excitement and wonder you once possessed. This might be the answer as to why we have all chosen to live an existence where we forgot all which we already know.
edit on 22/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: grammar

new topics

top topics

join