It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APNewsBreak: Nearly 1 in 4 Fails Military Exam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The Marines are not hurting for recruits.

There is a 6 month waiting period to go to boot camp.

That is with two boot camps running too.

Just because we are fighting a war,the percentage of those who actually see combat is actually very small.

This study is actually about the Army.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Our system is broken when we can't even produce enough people to preform basic math, reading and science.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Its not broke, its working exactly how it was made to work.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Maybe I should join the US Army, then. Work is rare enough as it is over here.

On the serious side; it doesn't take a math genius to fire a gun. The military can teach you what you need to know, anyway. But people's reasons for joining should be the right ones, or they're just another punk with a bigger weapon. That's my opinion.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Good God. In the 80's I recall taking applications from high school graduates, and I was stunned.

They can't spell, they can't write, they can't sting together phrases or thoughts, and they can't fill out a simple job application....

Tell me about it.

I ran a lab and eventually would not look at an applicant under the age of thirty five.

Not only can't they read, write or think, they can't tell time! Late to work, long breaks, longer lunch and leave early. Then when you give them a verbal warning they go through the roof, and get back at the company by breaking lab equipment - INFANTILE!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Hence the reason why even the simplest of military gear is packed with illustrated instruction manuals or has a section included into the military user publications. You wouldn't believe how many people think they can put a pin back in a grenade after they've pulled it or can't figure out how a folding field shovel is operated.lol:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
HAHAHAHA. Wow. My mom was a recruiter for the Army in my high school years. I passed the ASVAB with flying colors as a freshman in high school, and I didn't know any of the technical lingo. What an amazing country I live in.

edit - My mom told me she knew the Army was going to hell in a handbasket the day they switched to velcro patches. I remember as a kid my mom would take her BDU's to get upholstered with her patches and then dry cleaned, etc. Now, its like "stick patch A on velcro spot A accordingly".
edit on 22-12-2010 by newBodyoldSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

hey buddy....i have a very similar story.

back a decade or more ago, the 'tests' were to screen the RA & US recruits and 99% were capable to be placed in most any job description the military needed...
what we have here is outdated protocols...recruits don't need math or science any more to push a button or pull a trigger ...so expect the dumbed down tests to be modified even more...

i have a relative who needed a HS equivelency to enter into the military...
but now the recruiters now have a modestly priced ($85) kind of loop-hole to get a Equivelent
of a high-school equivelency rating...
and when you pass the 'highly coached' test, then it satisifies the military requirement for induction

the only thing the military system of recruiting their needed warm bodies has no control of is the
persons inclination to toke herb...a dirty drug test immediately short circuts the process for a mandantory 8 week 'getting clean' period. My relative never 'got clean'

top topics

<< 1   >>

join