It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NET NEUTRALITY: A look at your ISP in months to come...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Won't this just create a huge gap in the marketplace for new service to finally compete with the likes of Yahoo, Google and Youtube that don't charge?

I'd definitely get the cheapest/free package and go elsewhere for email, vids & social networking.

The big corps may unintentionally initiate a fresh growth of new, original (free) sites in a marketplace that was all but owned by the biggies they'll be charging for.

So, bring it on - i'm bored of youtube, google etc.

Yaahoo (i mean Woohoo

edit on 22-12-2010 by McGinty because: Clarity

edit on 22-12-2010 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

FCC is going to get their homepage replaced with this methinks

I've been waiting for this for years, it won't be pretty. I mean, the internet will just go underground. 3g exists.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

great! that will be the day those companies will fall.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by McGinty

sure, thats what will happen. internet is not like tv, they forgot to realize.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthc
I haven't had a cell phone for years, I just borrow my roommates.
No home phone, no cable, no internet -- I just borrow internet from my neighbors routers.
I use skype if I need to make a long-distance call.
I download what I want to watch off of pirate bay.

I save $50 a month on internet, $50 a month on cell phone, $50-$100 a month on cable, $20 a month + long distance on home phone. By not playing ball with them I've freed myself from an over a $200 a month ass rape.

oh and I also use a nintendo ds with a flash cart, I save $40 a game because they are not worth $40. The best game I ever bought was quake 2 and counter strike, both cost me $10. The ds with cart and memory card cost me just over $70, all brand new, with a 16gb sdhc class 6 card. Futureshop charges $70 just for the sdhc card I bought for $25, $120 for the ds I bought for $35, the ace card 2 is about $12. The files are free, just download and copy. I would have paid $200 retail had I not done my job as a consumer; problem is most consumers don't and screw us all over.

What idiot consumer decided paying near price at an online store was appropriate? What about all that storefront and theft they save on? Things should be dramatically cheaper but they are not, because these raping corporations collude together to charge the most for everything.

$200 a month is unreasonable for these stupid services they offer but they've largely removed the choice of owning a cell phone; if you do not you are seriously handicapped in todays society. They've got you all by the nuts and you should be getting angry. It's not good enough that they have to make you work but now they require you to have a communications device with which they can badger you when you are spending time with your family. It's a slave pager and tracker. People don't know how to use the off button enough.

So, your stealing (in essence) from others who pay for the service.
How nice of you. Letting others foot the bill. I guess you shoplift from Wal-mart as well.
You may have saved yourself money, but you cost someone else. Are you on welfare living in a section 8 building as well?
edit on 22-12-2010 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

ddosing the fcc will do NOTHING! their web site is an info site only! Blaaa! WTH will it prove to have them without an info site for a few days or weeks or even months! NOTHING!

Anonymous needs a new trick! and it looks like they are doing it with WikiLeaks right now. It's all over You Tube as people are comprising Videos of unheard of Wiki Leaks to the people so instead of reading them people can just watch a short video of them. That's smart but it's only a start! and it only helps WikiLeaks!

Any ideas on what else can be done?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by metodex

LOL no, you are a fool. Just because you have it worse is no justification for us to stop complaining about heading down the exact same road.

This is rolling out everywhere to varying degrees, whatever your society is willing to swallow and can be speedily executed. It's lock-down time and that means every nation will be doing this to prepare for their tyrannical global coup detat.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Now i keep really smell and taste the New World Order.
Only the rich will be educated as for the poor no money no candy....

This is disgusting...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

If you did some research, you would have noticed the following.
Passage of Net Neutrality Laws

The second is that nobody can block “lawful content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices,” on broadband Internet. The standards are somewhat lower for mobile broadband Internet, however, and only lay down that nobody can “block consumers from accessing lawful websites,” and nobody can “block applications that compete with the provider’s voice or video telephony services.”

The third rule states that nobody “engaged in the provision of fixed broadband Internet access service,” can “unreasonably discriminate in transmitting lawful network traffic over a consumer’s broadband Internet access service.”

It adds, however, that this openness also “promotes competition,” and “broadband providers have taken actions that endanger the Internet’s openness by blocking or degrading disfavored content and applications without disclosing their practices to consumers.”

The internet is still a free and open market. Competition will drive down the prices.

This is the one that ticks me off...

People who use the Internet for things such as gaming, entertainment, and artistic and social expression “will be denied the full benefits of the Internet,” Schwartzman said.

edit on 22-12-2010 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Freedom? We pretend to fight for it but we are frightened by it. We talk about being free but when we see a free man, we have him arrested on the spot. It was too free to be true.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It's obvious to anyone who is even slightly awake that the government feels threatened by people having freedom to do anything, especially communicate freely.

This is a foot in the door for the FCC. Next comes the leg, then the rest of the body. Pretty soon the FCC has its fat ass sitting all over the internet and censoring it at will, and allowing its corporate overseers to make a fortune off our backs - yet again. Same deal as the FDA and its Big Pharma masters, but that's another thread.

Boiling frogs.

And as usual, we're doing nothing except bitching about it.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

This is ALWAYS how it starts! They try to pass BIG LAWS(or bills) to have them defeated, then a smaller, and then a smaller, and then a smaller bill until they get one passed! Now they are in the door with their foot! Once that foot is in, they just continually pass smaller bills until they have the BIG one they wanted in the first place!

Welcome to Democracy! That's how it works in a nutshell!

If you want any thing passed, just start out small and then work it into something big! No one will notice and no one will care because it's happened so gradually that you didn't even notice!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

HAHAHA! We wrote this idea at the same time, you where just faster to the reply!

I stared you for it!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Don't co-operate.

I ain't signin' up for nothin'.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

Great minds think alike*

*Unfortunately, so do minds that are asleep.
edit on 22-12-2010 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It' definitely a good time to invest in a VPN with lots of overseas servers and IPs. PM me if you need suggestions.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It cant be regulated like the op states... every mid-small business will drop theyre sites... the economy will be effected (even if thats what they want im sure a decline that rapid is not in their agenda) I personally own a business ... there would be no new traffic.. no new websites.. google would die (youd pay to have google...but when you do a search what then call your isp in order to add each site you find in the search?) no it wont happen like that.. Im thinking like others said..the only way they could ALMOST get away with raping us is the cellphone method.. data limits.. very scary stuff though

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Wow my comment gets a crazy amount of stars and is removed by ats mods. I don't see how it was off topic and I wasn't previously warned. Ats is getting just as bad as some sites now for censorship such as you tube. Funny stuff.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

It isn't stealing if the person leaves their router wide open. I didn't hack to gain access, my access was authorized so therefore using that router is apparently fine by the owner. In fact it's a coffee shop down the street. I use a high gain directional antenna and a special card to receive open wifi up to 2 miles away.

As for movies and music and stuff; I've given them enough of my money. It is not worth the price they charge and I'm tired of getting scammed whenever the disk gets scratched I get to pay royalties all over again. Not only that, but on top of the royalties I've paid I've been subjected to useless advertising that I shouldn't have to be subjected to when I pay for something.

Why pay for something I can watch at my neighbors house whom has cable for free? if it were stealing I wouldn't be-able to watch it for free ever. They can make a model that competes with amateur films, I've seen stuff coming from amateurs that is way better than the regurgitated reruns and remakes that limited holywood types produce. They've got the same story with a hundred different twists and yet they think that we want to continue to buy this same rubbish over and over again.

It ain't stealing it's the market responding to the price gouging that is entertainment.

Skype is a pay service, it is worth the $2 a month versus $20-$30 for a home phone.

That ain't stealing that choosing not to get raped for overpriced bandwidth.

In fact, we don't even need isp's anymore, we can mesh together dual-band wifi routers, and possibly coax manufacturers to lean more towards supporting a networking system that cuts many of the ties to the isp as possible. This is do-able with even current wifi equipment (with just a modified bios).

Can't you see, this isn't stealing it's just cracking the current scam corporate model that has us over-paying for stuff. I don't care if some rap star doesn't get a private jet because I stole his song rather than pay for it, a home recording studio doesn't cost that much if you have 10,000 fans who would pay a dollar to get you one. In fact artists can make a great living without a recording studio, without a record label, and without an agent. It's time for the dinosaur business world to step aside and make way for the new world.

This is about the battle between the old ways and the new ways. The greedy wish to hold on to the old ways because if not, they will cease to exist. Say whatever you want but most of the world doesn't feel bad downloading a song when they can listen to it on the radio for free, nor do we feel bad that we aren't being subjected to paid for corporate brain washing because we get enough of that already which we do pay for and often don't ask for. Business has gotten enough, it's now time for the individual to start getting what is due; even if that means changing society so that it is taken. We won't be slaves to this dinosaur corporate model any longer.

Stealing implies that you are depriving someone of something. I don't have money to give, and whenever I do I give it to artists that deserve it, but not just because I like 1 song on a cd and so I get to pay for the whole thing or I get to go through the hassle of using a credit card online, or buying a gift card....

No thanks. I can download music off of youtube for free and capture the audio to get a copy, and that is perfectly legal; that isn't stealing. And I should be-able to give a copy to my buddies if they like, or record one. This goes back to the is it legal to record tv question, which it is. This isn't theft by any measurement of the law, the moment they called it theft the law-makers started to break their own laws and defy the people, the same way they have done with wipo.

edit on 22-12-2010 by stealthc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by eatfleshzombie

That implies an instant choke-hold on things, nobody said that these businesses couldn't collude together and gradually turn things into a rape.

It's been done before... I can think of a few examples involving cell phone providers here in canada charging for things that they once offered for free (or in a bundle and dropped it from the bundle because most people would just pay the extra on top of the bundle price).

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join