It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher reported to police for teaching about pig to a muslim student.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Yeah, she may well have been looking for a little pay-off.

I assume that Spain has the same ''compensation culture'' that most other Western countries have.

All that being said, I don't think that the religious aspect of this is really that relevant, as the mother would have probably done something similar, no matter what her faith is.

There must be thousands of Muslim schoolchildren in Spain who don't complain when they are being taught about ham.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
There are many stupid factors to this topic:

1. Stupid totalitarians that want big brother to protect their feelings (In this case, the student).

2. Stupid people that blame Islam for the behavior of a few Muslim people.

3. Stupid education that teaches primary school children how and when to cure ham as if it is crucial to their primary education simply because they live in Spain. (Seriously, what a waste of tax money educating children on something that maybe 0.5% of them will ever use in their lifetime)

4. Stupid emotional childish rage.

This one goes out to all of you... and you know who you are...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood
3. Stupid education that teaches primary school children how and when to cure ham as if it is crucial to their primary education simply because they live in Spain. (Seriously, what a waste of tax money educating children on something that maybe 0.5% of them will ever use in their lifetime)

No more stupid than teaching about beef in Texas, apple pie in America, etc...

It is a cultural tradition for that part of Spain. Spanish teachers have every right to teach their students about Spanish culture alongisde the academics at school.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

I found this link:

______beforeitsnews/story/324/387/Saying_Ham_Is_Racist_Against_Muslim_Children.html

I don't think you will see much MSM reporting on this.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well apparently this is not being dropped. The poor kid hasnt slept good now since the teacher said "ham".
www.theblaze.com...

Heres the vid

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

No more stupid than teaching about beef in Texas, apple pie in America, etc...

It is a cultural tradition for that part of Spain. Spanish teachers have every right to teach their students about Spanish culture alongside the academics at school.

Of course they have that right. I'm just saying that it is stupid to waste tax money on educating every last one of our children about something specific to butchering in a primary school environment. Primary schools teach children essentials skills needed to succeed in secondary education. Learning about meat and foods should really be reserved for secondary education as part of an elective culinary or butchery class. (Wait, you learned how to make apple pie in primary school?)

Anyways, ignorance of the cirriculum is on the student in most developed countries (not sure about Spain).It is not the teacher's job to protect students from things that they might be offended by if they are outlined in the curriculum. His mother should have picked him up and watched him for the duration of this period that was apparently so offensive to this child, then returned him to class when it was over.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SKinLaB

"Charge of mistreatment motivated by xenophobia"

....And here I thought running with bulls was patently insane....

What is a charge of "mistreatment motivated by xenophobia"? What are the penalties? What are the benefits for the accusers?
edit on 23-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I believe the teacher threw the 'ham' word at the child, who was utterly offended due to her religion.

Kind of reminds me of this song which is loosely related but ever so funny in this case.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Wow, just wow... I don't even know what I can say to this... That kid and mom need to get some thicker skin. If talking about pigs in a geography lesson offends them.... Just wow...

Yep, you know what? Jewish people don't eat pork... But I bet I could talk about pigs in front of some of my Jewish friends and they could care less.... My god...

I don't know about this mom, but quite frankly, I want my child to receive a good education. I don't want to sheild my child from FACTS. Simple facts....

It's not like she was trying to shove a pork chop down his throat or something.

Do you get offended by learning about things? Things that you may not agree with but are still simple facts? I don't. If you do, get some thicker skin.

I don't agree with cannibalism, but I learned about it in school. I don't agree with slavery, but I learned about it in school. Here is the deal. Things happen. You learn lessons about them. Just because you don't like it, does not mean you should close your mind to the truth about how things are.... Just wow...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kakadudless

Sorry - the someone provided you earlier does work. It is in Spanish..

ELPAIS.COM - Spanish article

Hopefully this next one will as well - its a babelfish translation of the above.

Babel Fish Translation into English

In case it does not - here is a quote from the translation

The family of the student assured that the minor was insulted by the professor when questioning his religious beliefs, but the public prosecutor does not consider it thus. In the writing that the court will send, he shows that “the attitude of the professor is not constituent of crime”.

So, the professor is not being charged with a crime. Therefore, it would seem the case has been dropped. The date of the article is December 22, 2010 (yesterday).

However, the article also states the professor may sue for slander.

In a related article the President of the one of Spain's Islamic communities said it was "trivial" and that the professor didn't do anything wrong.

BabelFish Translation from Spanish - Islamic Community Speaks

In this sense, Hamed has affirmed that “it does not have any sense” that denounces a teacher to mention an example on ham when explaining a lesson on types of climates, since it has happened in an institute of Cadiz.

Hamed has aimed that, although ham is not “a halal” product - allowed for the consumption of the Muslims, that does not mean that it is prohibited to know it and to mention it, like other products as the wine. In fact, it has assured that in the Corán ham is mentioned as much “by its name” as the pig and the wine.

In addition, the president of the FEERI is underlining that the Muslim children who live in a country that is not Muslim, where pig eats, like Spain, “must know ham, how it becomes and why”. “It is a culture question and our children must know it”, has added.

Found an English article on it as well

Muslim pupil calls police after teacher talks in the region ham in class

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf

Have you actually READ the thread...There are plenty of sources in Spansih and English. This was and still is a NATIONAL news item here in Spain.

If you cant be bothered to read the post's from a to z (they're only two pages) don't comment.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

There are many stupid factors to this topic:

1. Stupid totalitarians that want big brother to protect their feelings (In this case, the student).

2. Stupid people that blame Islam for the behavior of a few Muslim people.

4. Stupid emotional childish rage.

This one goes out to all of you... and you know who you are...

I take issue with your 2nd point. If it was not for Islam this would not even be a issue right? If you are going to hide behind something others should be able to point it out. Just take the political correctness out of the equation.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by andy1972

Yeah, she may well have been looking for a little pay-off.

I assume that Spain has the same ''compensation culture'' that most other Western countries have.

Compensation is the name of he game...Ambulance chasers galore here. !!

All that being said, I don't think that the religious aspect of this is really that relevant, as the mother would have probably done something similar, no matter what her faith is.

No, i dont agree with you there. Spain is super muticultural, i mean REALLY multicultural.At the end of the day, every immigrant has some problem's in the country that has opened its door's to them, life's not easy,and anyone who has lived in a foreign country as an immigrant, illegal or not, can tell you. But you accept it and struggle on as you can.

In Spain only the muslims have problems with everyday occurances. The morrocans come over here in thousands, dont speak and dont want to speak Spanish. The kids dont either because the parents dont. They dont want to intergrate themselves, but want everone else to bend over backwards to accomodate THEIR lifestyle's.
But they intergrate themselves in the benefits office, and accept freely anything the government will give them.
Here they ARE discriminated against upto a point, but they ask for it.
If they dont wish to intergrate themselves fully in a society that has welcomed them and given them benefits, fine. But dont expect said society to beg forgivness for not wanting to accept their way of life.

Spain is a TREMENDOUS country, that really does try and help in every way, the millions of immigrants that live here.
They accept there is a problem with immigration and instead of brushing it under the carpet, they've dealt with it admirably.They've dropped the " all illegal immigrants home" policies and have made it easier for millions to now work legally and live with dignity, punishing boses who abuse immigrant workers with huge fines.

But the Morrocans want more, they want to stick Allah in your face, stop work 5 times a day to pray and scream xenophobia everytime the local council wont give them something for nothing.
If they arnt happy, why not go home.

edit on 24-12-2010 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join