It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's a Mini Ice-Age Coming, Meteorologist Piers Corbyn Predicts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Just so you know ...

There's a mini ice age coming, says man who beats weather experts

Piers Corbyn not only predicted the current weather, but he believes things are going to get much worse, says Boris Johnson, London's mayor

[...]

He seems to get it right about 85 per cent of the time and serious business people - notably in farming - are starting to invest in his forecasts. In the eyes of many punters, he puts the taxpayer-funded Met Office to shame. How on earth does he do it? He studies the Sun.

[...]

Piers Corbyn believes that the last three winters could be the harbinger of a mini ice age that could be upon us by 2035, and that it could start to be colder than at any time in the last 200 years. He goes on to speculate that a genuine ice age might then settle in, since an ice age is now cyclically overdue.

[...]

The question is whether anthropogenic global warming is the exclusive or dominant fact that determines our climate, or whether Corbyn is also right to insist on the role of the Sun.

[...]

edit on 21-12-2010 by GirlGenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by igigi

Love the pics! After last winter, I did consider getting some cross-country skis. We have a very hilly property

I don't think a mini ice-age is the end of the world, but people should be aware that this is a distinct possibility. I started to consider that this was happening several years ago. Not because of any scientific data, but because everything the government tells you typically turns out to be not only wrong, but just the opposite! In these last few years, more and more researchers and climatologists are exploring this possibility and a few have staked their reputations on it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
He's got to be better than the Met Office, I mean, it would be hard not to be what with barbecue summers that last, ooh, all of two weeks max followed by a two month washout Lol..

I was reading about this in the news earlier and his methods do seem to make more sense than those computer models with an inbuilt bias towards warming that the Met Office uses.

peace
J

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, I'll be 53 by 2035. So by the time I get close to retirement I'll have to put up with a Mini Ice-Age? I guess this gives me time to plan ahead? Better safe than sorry (and cold!)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Thought you all might get a chuckle from this article.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

Far more likely than the whole Gulf Stream junk thats floating around. The Sun is the only thing that can cause extreme weather worldwide.

Lets hope all those who are hell-bent on the GS plunging us into an Ice Age read your thread and stop spreading dis-information!

S&F

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Its actually plausible. It has happened before. The UK and Europe generally has been much much colder in the relatively recent past.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just need to invest in more snowploughs and winter tyres.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nocents
Thought you all might get a chuckle from this article.

www.independent.co.uk...
Good one!

A star for you!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Last week in the news they said something like "strange thing, this cold weather in Europe, because believe it or not but other parts of the world are really warming up"
lol

seriously, the snowfall and cold temps we have in Europe now are exactly how I remember winters to be like when I was a kid. Playing in the snow knee high...every year!
I'm actually sorry that my kid didn't have these winters more often when she was younger. It's been 25 years or so, but I for one am glad the real winters are back...there is, imo, nothing unusual about it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
If Piers Corbyn says there's an ice age coming, I'd invest in sunblock!

btw why were there even colder winters in Britina during the Medieval Warm Period? Worth thinking about ......

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

I am of the opinion that TPTB are not unaware of this. However THEY control the Media and the last thing they want is the "Great Unwashed" (their term for us) to head south.

TPTB are well aware that "the present insolation minimum holds the potential to terminate the Holocene interglacial." They have been aware of it since George Kukla, together with Robert Matthews of Brown University, convened a conference in 1972 entitled “The Present Interglacial: How and When will it End? and spoke directly to President Nixon.

Note that date 1972 is the same as the date of the UN first Earth Summit

As Elaine Dewar wrote in Toronto's Saturday Night magazine:

It is instructive to read Strong's 1972 Stockholm speech and compare it with the issues of Earth Summit 1992. Strong warned urgently about global warming, the devastation of forests, the loss of biodiversity, polluted oceans, the population time bomb. Then as now, he invited to the conference the brand-new environmental NGOs [non-governmental organizations]: he gave them money to come; they were invited to raise hell at home. After Stockholm, environment issues became part of the administrative framework in Canada, the U.S., Britain, and Europe.
www.afn.org...

What is REALLY interesting is that the start of the present warming cycle was a few years later!

....Kukla and Matthews alerted President Richard Nixon, and as a result the US Administration set up a Panel on the Present Interglacial involving the State Department and other agencies. None of us knew then that the mid-century cooling was about to be punctuated by a warming spell from the late 1970s to the mid 1990s.... calderup.wordpress.com...

temp graph 1979 to nov 2010

US temp graph starting in 1880

(Places Tinfoil hat on head)
Here is my Ultimate Conspiracy Theory that explores this possibility in more depth.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
but but isnt global warming going to burn us all to death

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

but but isnt global warming going to burn us all to death

NAHHhh Haven't you heard the latest? Global Warming causes Ice Ages.

Peace is War
Truth is Lies
Love is Torture
Plenty is Starvation

1984, Orwell

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Australia Wintry weather brings snow to Australia in midsummer Australia normally experiences temperatures of 86F (30C) at this time of year, but the chances of a rare white Christmas have increased after plunging temperatures and snow swept across the east of the country.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

are you paying attention yet?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Yes, I think Corbyn is spot on with his primary attribution to the Sun. Not to minimize the GOM disaster. It is by far the worst manmade disaster ever, but I don't believe it is more than minimally contributing to the weather extremes we are seeing. That is just more propaganda to make us feel guilty and willing to pay compensation, similar to the AGW scam.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Im pretty sure that is still up for debate. While I do believe the sun is very responsible for our weather, I also believe we COULD have an impact on the weather system as well.
But it is still up for debate.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
Now that I think about it, I'll be 53 by 2035. So by the time I get close to retirement I'll have to put up with a Mini Ice-Age? I guess this gives me time to plan ahead? Better safe than sorry (and cold!)

I think I've come up with a solution - we need to get snow toys and look forward to the snow. I am trying to talk my hubby into a snowmobile

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Now that I think about it, I'll be 53 by 2035. So by the time I get close to retirement I'll have to put up with a Mini Ice-Age? I guess this gives me time to plan ahead?

Just stay in Texas

Map of North American Glaciation: www.esd.ornl.gov...

North America Ice Age - description:

“At the most extreme stage of the last glaciation, most of Canada and much of the northern USA were covered by an ice sheet thousands of metres in thickness. Colder and often drier than present conditions predominated across most of the USA. The eastern deciduous and conifer forests were replaced by more open conifer woodlands with cooler-climate species of pines and a large component of spruce. The open spruce woodland and parkland extended somewhat further west than present, into what is now the prairie zone. As a result of aridity and lowering of sea level (which lowered inland water tables), much of Florida was covered by drifting sand dunes. Notably moister than present conditions occurred across much of the south-west, with open conifer woodlands and scrub common in areas that are now semi-desert.
Reconstruction of North America during last Ice Age
www.esd.ornl.gov...

Like I said stay in Texas

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Here is some more info on the Atlantic Current......get you coats out!!! www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join