It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The theory we inhabit a Binary Star system?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
www.binaryresearchinstitute.com...
I'm not going to make this a super post (yet) like I've seen around the forums... but the theories expressed at this institute are quite intriguing. A quick search of ATS yielded no results for this website, so I though I'd share it with ATS.

Thoughts?

Researchers at BRI have noticed a number of problems related to the current theory of precession. While VLBI, laser ranging and other related technologies do a good job at determining the earth’s orientation, the sun’s movement through space has not been coordinated with these findings resulting in unintentional bias of precession inputs. In examining the phenomenon of the precession of the equinox (which was the original impetus for the development of lunisolar precession theory) we have found that a moving solar system model is a simpler way to reproduce the same observable without any of the problems associated with current precession theory. Indeed, elliptical orbit equations have been found to be a better predictor of precession rates than Newcomb's formula, showing far greater accuracy over the last hundred years. Moreover, a moving solar system model appears to solve a number of solar system formation theory problems including the sun's lack of angular momentum. For these reasons, BRI has concluded our sun is most likely part of a long cycle binary system.

A binary system is two stars gravitationally bound orbiting a common center of mass. The stars can be of the same or differing sizes and orbits can be as short as a few days or as long as thousands of years. The short ones are easy to detect, the long ones difficult, some probably impossible to detect because of the very long observation period required.

While there is no obvious visible companion star to our Sun, there could be a dark binary, such as a brown dwarf or possibly a relatively small black hole, either of which might be very difficult to detect, without accurate and lengthy analysis.

There is also the possibility that our sun might be in a binary or complex gravitational relationship with one of several nearby “visible” stars. This scenario may require thinking beyond standard Newtonian dynamics to embrace MOND or MOG or some similar theory (that suggests that the constant of G might be stronger between stellar objects than between planetary objects within the solar system). There could be many types of unknown and unidentified masses that might cause our solar system to curve through space, including the local stellar cluster and even the galactic center to some small degree, each producing some small effect within the total precession observable. Consequently, at this point our work is primarily focused on understanding the precession observable and its nuances as the likely signature of our solar system's angular velocity around some common center of mass. We believe that this approach of analyzing the precession observable (the sun's motion relative to the fixed stars as seen from earth) will provide valuable and helpful data regarding the sun's most likely stellar companion (if one exists).

In summary, beyond direct detection – one way to determine if we are in a binary or multiple star system is to see if the Sun is curving through space. To us on Earth that means we should experience a gradual “changing orientation to inertial space.” Such a phenomenon is observed as the precession of the equinox.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Although I have heard about this theory... Thank you for posting it btw

Have you ever considered weare already part of a binary system ? Earth and the moon I mean.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

By that logic we'd be also a part of a larger 187(+1 for the sun!)-nary system! No
?
edit on 21-12-2010 by igigi because: less... teeth.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Binary systems refer to 2 suns (or more with name change), not planets. I have seen this theory before and like the person a few posts up thank you for posting it. The theory suggest there is a companion to our sun, a brown dwarf, which is not observable by the naked eye or most space / ground based telescopes because of how dim / colder it is compared to surrounding stars.

Its theorized it is about 1 light year away from earth, in the long orbit described in the op article. NASA is slowly looking in this direction because they are still unable to account for gravitational tug on probes. The suggestion by the sonpiracy people is its niburu, so people can make up their own mind there.

We are also finding larger "dwarf" planets in weird locaions within our solar system, which means we still gave no real idea what we are doing when it comes to truely understanding our solar system. The other supporting info for this binary theory is the coments that seem to come out of nowhere into our system from the ort cloud.

The only explanation scientists have come up with is the presence of a body that has a decent gravity well that affects these comets, changing their orbits and slingshooting them into our solar system.

The most recent space observtory launched has the ability to look for dwarf stars with some new type of thermal imaging system (If I remeber right) that is capable of detecting these types of bodies.

One day at a time, we will claw our way off this planet and begin to explore the Universe,only to find wonders beyond belief, and terrors beyong imagination. Either way, its been one hell of a ride.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The sun has no binary companion. The sun ate up its companion a long time ago thats why the sun has more of a certain element in its make up. I cannot name the element or find a link but its out there somewhere.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Great post, I was absolutely fascinated reading the info on the link. I have bookmarked that site and I am excited about this research and will be following its development closely!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

new theory of solar syatem

This is the closest story i could find

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007

new theory of solar syatem

This is the closest story i could find

Seriously, this guy's refenerce is:
1.. Ridpath, I.; Encyl. of Astonomy &
Space(1979), 105

I'll give it a read over, but honestly I don't know how I feel about a single source article.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
The sun has no binary companion.

Acutally, I think the data at the BRI would say otherwise...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I always thought this was an interesting theory. Have you seen this video? It gives compelling evidence for a binary sun.

The Great Year
edit on 22-12-2010 by GirlGenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
What worries me is this. In bible there is a strory about a battle, that during it, the sun did not set down. I have been thinking about it. The problem is this. If sun does not set down during the night, it means the sun go around the earth. Imbossible.The earth stops rotating. Also imbossible. Something did go between earth and sun, something so massive that it bends light. Maybe. This worries me. Is it a black hole or neutron star... Maybe we are a binary system afterall.
. I really hope we do not hit it, whatever it is.
This is just an idea, so do not tell it does not comply with scientific method.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by igigi

Very interesting.

The way I understand it all, after doing several years of my own personal research, is that we are in a cycle of approximately 26,000 years - which is supposably the meaning behind all of the so-called "Bak'tun"

I think it's fairly safe to assume that the majority of people realize the Earth, as well as the other planets in our solar system, are in an orbit around the Sun... it takes the Earth 365.25 days to complete one entire orbit, and all of the other planets have varying amounts of days in their "years" as well.

But here's the thing, recently people are starting to realize that the sun is not stationary - most of the time we think everything is just spinning around the sun, but that the sun is staying in pretty much the same spot... when really the sun is also moving through space.

At the mid latitudes of the U.S. and Europe, we are spinning at 700-900 mph. The earth is traveling around the Sun at 67,000 mph or about 1.6 million miles every day and the Sun is traveling around the galactic center of the Milky Way at 500,000 mph. It takes about 200 million years for the Sun to orbit the center of the Milky Way

The sun is traveling

Who knows what all other orbits might exist as the sun travels around the Milky Way... 200 MILLION years is a pretty long time

Even if their math is wrong somewhere along the lines, we're still talking about a very large period of time.
--------------------------------------------------
I just stumbled upon something as I'm sitting here playing around with a calculator and the numbers listed above off of the Virtualcolony website.

if you multiply the 500,000 mph by 26,000 years, you get the number 13,000,000,000 miles.. strange.

A baktun (properly b'ak'tun) is 20 katun cycles of the ancient Maya Long Count Calendar. It contains 144,000 days, equivalent to 394.25 tropical years. The Classic period of Maya civilization occurred during the 8th and 9th baktuns of the current calendrical cycle. The current (13th) baktun will end, or be completed, on 13.0.0.0.0 (December 21, 2012 using the GMT correlation). This also marks the beginning of the 14th baktun, as such a term is usually used among Mayanists.

en.wikipedia.org...

On December 13, 2010, it was confirmed that Voyager 1 passed the reach of the solar wind emanating from the Sun. It is suspected that solar wind at this distance turns sideways due to interstellar wind pushing against the heliosphere. Since June 2010, detection of solar wind has been consistently at zero. On this date, the spacecraft was approximately 17.3 billion km (10.8 billion miles) from the Sun.

en.wikipedia.org...
from
solarsystem.nasa.gov...
and
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 23-12-2010 by Time2Think because: updated with more current information

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
i once heard something that besides travelling around the center of the milky way once every 200 million years the solar system also crosses the galactic plane once every 28.000 years or so.
This - so it was told - could be initial for slight gravitanional changes causing objects in the so called oort-cloud far behind pluto to change course and head into the systems center.
some scientists already talk about an event in the early history of the solar system, the 'great bombardment' where there were many asteroids hitting our systems planets ..
this is just another theory ... who knows

talking about a 'binary brother' for our sun .. i find that much unlikely.
Since we have telescopes we search the skies for nearby stars, and are even able to tell proper motion about nearby stars by maesuring doppler-shift in their spectra and so on.

No, i'm afraid the nearest star is still Proxima Centauri in a distance of about 4 lightyears, who is already part of the Alpha centauri triple system.

If there would be any other attracting mass we rotate around, we would find clear indications to that in the motion of our planets, which - as far as i know - is not the case.

So i would go for the 'crossing the galactic plane' scenario without expecting too much change in the system from it, since earth seems to have survived that for 4.5 billion years.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Interesting. Giving thought to this, binary which might "burst into light" every 2000 or so years? I could see this if our star had a companion brown dwarf star which orbited behind or in our heliosphere and accumulated enough material to burst into life every 2 thousand years.

Star of Bethlehem? The binary partner pulls on Earth to make it's orbit "wobble" from 21 to 26 degrees due to its orbital peculiarities? I imagine this object tugging on Earth much-like a fishing pole and the bobble, the nibbles and ripples, of course, are slower, but this could account for the some of the lunisolar precessional "tug." It would be a very interesting coincidence if this partner were located in the area of the constellation Orion?

What does everyone think?
edit on 7-1-2011 by trekwebmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

how do you know it could not of been a trinary system before?
also, you posted a theory.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Exactly the line of thought I was heading to. What IF? Would it not support alot of things?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Here is a thread on another theory.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well current scientists have always been puzzled why the Milky Way is on an angle, and we are moving perpendicular to the plane of the galaxy... in fact currently we are 50 light years out and will move out to 250 light years above the galactic plane before we 'bob' back down.

Recent observations by the Spitzer Infrered telescope have shown that the Milky Way is in collision with the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy... in fact it is absorbing this galaxy. It appears that our solar system was indeed originally part of the Sagittarius Galaxy and has now 'crossed over' into the larger galaxy we call the Milky Way.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Yeah, Zorgon's thread is quite epic! Our Milky Way is a cannibal..

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.astro.virginia.edu...
"For only a few percent of its 240 million-year orbit around the Milky Way galaxy does our Solar System pass through the path of Sagittarius debris," Majewski said. "Remarkably, stars from Sagittarius are now raining down onto our present position in the Milky Way. Stars from an alien galaxy are relatively near us. We have to re-think our assumptions about the Milky Way galaxy to account for this contamination."

Perhaps our Binary Sister is Sagatarius?
Two star-crossed lovers?

edit on 10-1-2011 by igigi because: .

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I'm massively glad to have found this thread.
You're onto it alright.

Simply put, the Earth's tilt does not wobble causing the precession of the stars.
That idea, although still widely popular, is about as old fashioned and close to thinking the Earth is in the centre of the universe as you can get and still allow the Earth to orbit the Sun.

So good to see others here at ATS question that old Newtonian thinking, let me share another idea:

Binary star system?
No.

Are we are 'orbiting' something?
Yes.

What are we orbiting?
nothing...

heh?
That's right, nothing!
Our solar system along with every other star and feature of the Orion Spur, the name we give the "little" part of a galactic arm where our solar system resides, is spiralling, rotating, whatever you want to call it as well as orbiting the galactic centre like this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bed2f2401cad.jpg[/atsimg]

Remember Léon Foucault?
He was the one who demonstrated that a swinging pendulum swings from 'star to star' remaining true in relation to the universe. With that, he produced the first practical demonstration that the Earth rotates, even though that was already widely accepted at the time.

Combine those two ideas and it becomes clear the Earth maintains it's tilt and in doing so the wonderful event which is known as the precession of the stars is able to take place. Like this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/281d5aa17604.jpg[/atsimg]

No whiz-bang complex formula needed here.

I've put over 10 years into solving this myself and on the incredible day of last year January 20 2010 it clicked.

Now because I'd read at some time that Sir Isaac Newton had told his buddies, who he used to chat about physics with, to bugger off when they'd asked him for some credit for his publications. I think he is reported to have said something like "I am a great mathematician and you are just lucky buffoons who fell upon a hunch and lacked the fortitude to take it any further"(Note: Not an exact quote). I rushed a 72 page book to publication by April last year. For some reason it goes over the head of most that I know, guess I've overestimated again :p

Let me assure you it is with great pleasure that I present it to Above Top Secret for you all to put it to the "deny Ignorance" test.
I am going to begin a new thread soon that will outline the idea a little better than I've done here, look out for it, I'll call it "Earth Orbits The Hammar Axis" unless you have a better suggestion before I post it.

So? let me have it...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hammaraxx

Very interesting, looking forward to the thread. Hopefully I don't miss it.

It makes sense that the whole universe fluxes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join