It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC approves plan to regulate Internet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

FCC approves plan to regulate Internet

www.foxnews.com

The Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday approved a plan to regulate the Internet despite warnings that it could strangle industry investment and damage an economy that is still struggling to recover.

The 3-2 vote fell along partisan lines with Democrats capitalizing on their numerical advantage.

The rules would prohibit phone and cable companies from abusing their control over broadband connections to discriminate against rival content or services, such as Internet phone calls or online video, or play favorites with Web traffic.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well say goodbye to free internet once the grubby and coorupt politicos get their hands into it. This is very disturbing and again, as I have stated regarding other posts and news storys, this is the first wave of police state and government control of the information flow to the average citizen. This will hurt the truth in regards to assembling information so that the public can remain on top of things and keep the powers that be in check. At least to a certain degree anyway. Obama applauded this news today on Capitol Hill saying that it will help to eliminate conpsiracy theorys and "absurd rumors".

This is another stirke to frredom for the citizen.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

But the move raises concern that the FCC could soon have its regulatory foot in the door of the wild wild West of the Internet -- with an eye toward eventually exerting tighter control over content at a time when sites like WikiLeaks openly snub the government.

The gov is using events all of the time to cite reasons why laws should go into place like regulating the internet. The average American is just stupidily blind when it comes to believing what their government tells them. Before too long the government will be regulating the daily routines of their citizens' lifes and no one will be able to provide a viable answer as to how it came to be. Its time to wake America from your freedom induced laziness and fight for your freedom before you have none of it left.
edit on 12/21/2010 by mikelee because: Add content

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm still confused on how this got pushed through so fast or why it's even needed? Why exactly does the internet which has operated magnificently and could be considered a wonder of the world for the last 20+ years suddenly need government regulation? None of this is ever explained to us and all we ever get is generalized double speak.
edit on 21-12-2010 by JoeMaine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JoeMaine

The gov can't control information unless it controls the vehicle in which that information is flowing within. By regulating the internet they can control not only the quality of information but from whom or what provides it. Our freedoms are vanishing daily and if the average citizen does not begin to fight for their freedoms, they will soon be wondering where their freedoms went.

All of the 911 related information (theorys etc) have place the fedgov in a position of always being on the defensive and that isn't what the fedgov wants to do. They want the sheeple to believe them at all costs and ask no questions.
edit on 12/21/2010 by mikelee because: add

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
the world wide web
may you rest in pieces

died: 12/21/2010

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm a bit confused, the article seems to just be talking about bandwith & data flow.
How does this relate to policing the internet? Just the beginning maybe?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
start making cd's of the good stuff. FML!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is very disturbing to read and more disturbing knowing most people just won`t understand the ramifications.
Intrusion seems to be growing and that is not freedom people.
I`m not saying you should believe all the crazy crap you read on the net or even on this site, but you should have a right to decide what you want to read and write.

Too many people blindly accept and think that someone else always knows better then they.
It is your natural right to make your own decisions and deal with the consequences.
It is wrong that many people are scared into submission without a chance to think things through for themselves.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Got to wonder when we'll have an internet czar and what nightmare coward of a human being it's going to be. If Obama gets re-elected I'd almost guarantee it's going to be that piece of human garbage Cass Sunstein. This is a really depressing day. I'm sure it'll take a few years before they begin the clamp down because they like to do things incrementally so as to keep people asleep but I think we got about two years before the free internet dies.

By the way, here's the
wiki article on the pig Cass Sunstein who instigated all this.
en.wikipedia.org...

In his book Democracy and the Problem of Free Speech Sunstein says there is a need to reformulate First Amendment law. He thinks that the current formulation, based on Justice Holmes' conception of free speech as a marketplace “disserves the aspirations of those who wrote America’s founding document.”[14] The purpose of this reformulation would be to “reinvigorate processes of democratic deliberation, by ensuring greater attention to public issues and greater diversity of views.”[15] He is concerned by the present “situation in which like-minded people speak or listen mostly to one another,”[16] and thinks that in “light of astonishing economic and technological changes, we must doubt whether, as interpreted, the constitutional guarantee of free speech is adequately serving democratic goals.”[17] He proposes a “New Deal for speech [that] would draw on Justice Brandeis' insistence on the role of free speech in promoting political deliberation and citizenship.”[15]

Tell me that's not #ing scary.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What if the worst happens and the government ruins the net like they have everything else they touch?

I guess we all go back to life before the internet. You know, go outside, read a book, call a friend. That sort of thing.

I won't bother with the net if it becomes over regulated, like tv.

Nothing lasts forever and it was fun while it lasted.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeMaine
I'm still confused on how this got pushed through so fast or why it's even needed? Why exactly does the internet which has operated magnificently and could be considered a wonder of the world for the last 20+ years suddenly need government regulation? None of this is ever explained to us and all we ever get is generalized double speak.

It's a power grab to control yet another segment of our society. Nothing less. It's the internet version of the "Fairness Doctrine".

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

looks like they were off by two years

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
You guys are crazy to worry over this.
The internet has a life of it's own now. They will fail miserably with any attempt to contain it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
You guys are crazy to worry over this.
The internet has a life of it's own now. They will fail miserably with any attempt to contain it.

Not when the ISP's follow marching orders. Or Obama just stages an outright takeover like he did Banks, Automobile Companies, Healthcare. Just follow the pattern. He has 2 years to go nuts with takeovers.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I don't know reading comprehension seems like a plus that is often absent on ATS sometimes.

I am (hopefully not much longer) a Sprint Broadband Customer, and I can't begin to tell you the problems I have been through with them in the past six months. I signed up with Sprint when they first started offering Internet Data Cards to insert into laptops and later usb cards for use on P.C.'s.

At the time I signed up, (dinosaurs were still roaming the earth and the nation's Capitol was in New York City) the service they offered was unlimited downloads, and roaming for one low monthly price.

They changed this a few years back but I was grandfathered in (for another few days until my most recent contract expires).

Starting six months ago they started becoming desperate to get me off this plan, because they have reworked their whole billing system to do away with any references to it.

So in the last six months, I have recieved alert message after alert message that I am over my 3 GB's a month down load, well sorry the contract says it's unlimited. A couple months later they set my modem to constantly roam, and then shut it off making me contact them when my 'roaming limit' was exceeded. Sorry my contract says I have unlimited roaming.

No Mr. Proto they tell me, "we reserve the right to make changes at any time" no Mr. Sprint, you reserve the right to try to make changes with people who don't know a contract is a contract is a contract!

During the last several months I have at times had them limit by 3G downloads to as little as 26 kkbs a second, try downloading an Amazon TV Show where it says your download will be complete in 3 days 6 hours and 12 minutes!

Not much fun I tell you.

They have constantly reprogrammed my stack overflow to make my connection to the Sprint Network Fail so it will have to Roam, and then cut off my Roaming forcing me to call them.

I have gone back and forth so many times with them, their upper management, their legal department, that now if I call Sprint from my number it gets automatically routed to their attorneys office.

I even called the local police department in Virginia where their broad bands headquarters is located and filed a suit against them with the FTC.

I have also written my Senator and two local congress people about it.

Now as I suspected this is all marketing, and they are wanting to do away with the unlimited broad band cards to push unlimited internet service in a new high dollar generation of Smart Phones and Devices.

How right was Proto? (like when is proto ever wrong), now that my contract is ready to expire and I am installing a land line I checked with Sprint to see what my upgrade offers are (I am a premier customer with more phones than an NBA Team) and low and behold, I can upgrade my now no longer unlimited usage broad band card, for an 11 inch Dell Mini Laptop with guess what "Unlimited Downloads and Roaming" for the whopping cost of $0.00 and another 2 year contract paying what I am paying now for the service, the service would just be limited to that 11 inch Dell Mini Lap Top instead of any internet ready device I want to plug the card into.

Do internet Service Providers need regulated, from where Proto sits and I have wasted hundreds of hours argueing with them on the phone regarding contract law and the sanctity of contracts and filing suits against them because they really don't care, they really need regulated very badly.

Why does the FCC care, well in part because one of the suits I filed was with them!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Fox is calling it a coup by the FCC

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

But if they place new rules and regulations on the internet providers. The providers will follow the rules to avoid any penalties the govt would impose on them for breaking said "Internet Laws"

This will happen eventually the only question is when.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This is a gateway move that looks innocent enough on the outside. The floodgates are opening and this will just give more oomph to the UN's efforts to do the same thing with the internet. And on and on it goes by an agency who should not have the authority to do so in the first place. Wow!!

This will not be good!!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Uhm, read this first.
Foxnews.com

Thanks for watching that YouTube video! That will be 50 cents, please.

Sound unrealistic? It's actually fairly likely, thanks to a ruling handed down Tuesday by the FCC that will allow Internet service providers to charge customers based on the amount of bandwidth they use. And some argue that it's the greatest threat to freedom we face today.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
and another connection between the FCC who just passed
net control and Soros is Mark LLoyd.

Mark Lloyd, Obama/Soros hitman at the FCC
Washington, D.C. — Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski recently appointed Mark Lloyd, a former senior fellow at the George Soros-funded Center for American Progress (CAP), to be the FCC’s “Chief Diversity Officer.” Lloyd is a proponent of the Fairness Doctrine and recently wrote that the Doctrine, and other regulatory tools such as localism and diversity mandates, should be employed by the FCC to limit the number of conservative voices on the air and supplant them with liberal voices.

proteinwisdom.com...

related:
www.cnsnews.com...

wow, Soros is funding wikileaks and has his own
stooge at the FCC to pass this net censorship.

Soros supplied the problem (wikileaks)
and the solution (net censorship, FCC)

how convenient

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join