It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time related to Motion and other ideas...!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Time is related to motion - the closer you get to the speed of light the slower time goes for you in comparison to outside objects.
Something I have thought about, and has been re-kindled by Xeven's thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...
is:

(In theory and to our perception) The universe is constantly expanding out from a central point when time and space as we know it started.
If we take our planet, it is effectivly moving out from this central point as is everything else. 10 years ago it was in one particular position, in 10 years time it will be in another particular position. Is this a sort of 'time-line'?
If it did just Stop completely, like Xeven was saying, does that mean time would then stop too?

Isn't time a measurement of the motion of objects/particles/etc, in essence comparing 'old' information to 'new' information? If everything was perfectly still then there would be no perception of time whatsoever, as you would have nothing to compare.

Another thing, if the universe is kind of perceived as a sphere expanding out, how come no matter what direction you look in, if you can look far enough, you always end up looking back at the middle?

EDIT spelling

[edit on 6-7-2004 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Isn't time a measurement of the motion of objects/particles/etc, in essence comparing 'old' information to 'new' information?

No. If Earth stopped moving, time would not stop. The time frame changes when speed changes. For example, I am on a different time frame when I walk than on when I stand still.

Time is not a measurement of motion of objects, because it would be expressed in meters, not in seconds. Furthermore, if time was a measurement of motion of objects, that would imply a global time frame of reference (absolute time) that it has been proven that it does not exist.

nother thing, if the universe is kind of perceived as a sphere expanding out, how come no matter what direction you look in, if you can look far enough, you always end up looking back at the middle?

I've never heard this before (that in any way one looks, he always looks in the middle). It is correct though that when you look, you look back, because light (information) from the far points of the universe is only reaching us now.

The concept of spacetime dilation leads me to the following thought: matter is something like a string with knobs; each knob represents different states of matter. The distance between two successive knobs represents the timeflow change rythm. The more matter moves faster, the longer the distance between knobs becomes, thus allowing for matter to 'age' slower, i.e. pass from one state to another with a slower rythm.

The above thought of course implies a fixed time frame, which is proven to not exist. But it may exist in the other dimensions of the universe, which are folded.

By the way, I would like to say here that the universe only has two known dimensions: space and time. Our (visible) universe is two-dimensional; the spatial dimension has 3 components: X, Y and Z. The time dimension only has one.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
I've never heard this before (that in any way one looks, he always looks in the middle). It is correct though that when you look, you look back, because light (information) from the far points of the universe is only reaching us now.

My thoughts where that if you can look far enough, in any direction, you are looking back in time to just after the Big Bang - so is that not looking back to one central point?

What is the measurement 'time' though? if nothing, nothing, moves or changes, how would you measure 'time'? What would your point of reference be and what would you compare it to?

Time seems like a manmade illusion used to define marking points during the motion of the universe around us.
If nothing happened the illusion that is time would cease to exist.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Perception of time and all things are based on Brain chemistry and activity. If that stands still we would not experience anything. Interestingly enough there is a general perceptual change in our perception of time as we age. Could the cause be a change in brain activity? Perhaps the young brain is very active and therefore there are many neural events for each moment of time, as we age there is less activity in the brain so comparatively it seems like the moments of time are closer together. Like if you take an inch ruler and put only half inch marks on it compared to putting all the 16th inch markings on it.

That whole time dilation thing is hard to understand. Movement is relative, so two clocks flashing past one another should make them the same. To have the dilation thing work makes it sound like the Universe is like a time muck pit that you have to expend this huge amount of energy to begin to pull out of it for time to slow down. An odd thought, perhaps energy aligns you with the time axis of the universe.

Our 3D space (+time) is on the surface of an expanding 4D sphere. That is why it expands in all directions at once. That expanding radius in the center of the 4D sphere COULD be the measure of time, or time could be some other 5thD aspect of our existence. Einstein's theory implies that time and 3D space are intimately interrelated, Im not sure that means that our particular time doesn't relate to any number of other 3D spaces. When we look back we 'see' earlier smaller 4D sphere positions. I wonder if they take that into account when creating those 3D Universe maps? Vector projections, calculating the current position based on how long ago we are seeing it and its speed and direction. As far away as other galaxies are seen they are actually much further apart than that. ie. Do they chart the Virgo cluster where we perceive it from the past, or where it should be projected to be now.

Another strange thought, I wonder if time passes slightly slower in a particular direction in 3D space?

Is the mass-matter/energy ratio different in a young person/animal? Could that account for the different perception of time-speed?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I though that maybe it's like the universe is some kind of balloon. We live in a 3D world on the surface and the expanding out marks the passage of time.
Still doesn't explain quite why you are always looking back to the beginning nomatter where you look. I would have thought you'd end up looking back on yourself, unless that is what happens, you look back on yourself, back to the beginning....

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
im curious aabout the conception of 'time' we all have.
For me time is only a construction of the human brain as a tool.
a reference tool to say for example that we age of 1 year when our planet made a complete revolution around the sun.

A measure tool as too say it took me 10 minutes to get from point A to point B (still a reference tho)

Minutes and hours that we have created. so what is time ? a concept ?
i don't think time exist at all, without a human to think of it. I think EVERYTHING happens at the SAME time. The very everlasting present moment.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I read an interesting idea too about how all past, present and future history happens simultaneously, like a one second symphony, but time is the mechanism that allows our minds to perceive the moments individually and linearally. This makes sense to me. It would explain alot.

Time is the force that keeps everything from happening at once.

top topics

join