It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einstein and his Faith

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Where does he say he dislikes atheists?

Einstein also said:

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views."

English is a tricky language I know...

Atheist should stop quoting him then for such support, as he has requested.

edit on 12/22/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

You are one of those people who wouldn't see the truth if it smacked you on the head.

There are TWO types of atheists, those who do not believe and those who DENY. The latter being the minority.

Einstein was talking about atheists who deny god, when he spoke of atheists, he didn't agree with denying god, but he also DID NOT BELIEVE IN A GOD. He used the word God, yes, BUT SO DO I, and do I mean your definition of God, Cosmic? No, I do not.

When he uses the word "God" he is talking about a metaphysical idea of god as nature, science, physics, etc. Einstein's definition of God was a natural god. NOT A SUPERNATURAL GOD. The god of Christianity is a SUPERNATURAL god.

Go read anything, anywhere, aside from your brainwashing websites, and you will see this clear as day.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
We don't really need Einstein's support

thank you cause I kind of got tired of hearing illogic in my Atheism threads...

now that is settled, wait till you see my next topic

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

reply to post by SpaceJ

Higher Being = Theist

very easy math...

No, not higher necessarily. And definitely NOT a being.

Again, Einstein's "God" was natural.

A higher being, or a personal god, or your Christian belief are all supernatural.

The only thing he ever said he could agree with was Spinoza's belief, which was not pantheism, and was not theism. Spinoza held that god was nature and natural, not supernatural. God just was, according to Spinoza god was not a someone or a being, it just was all that exists.
edit on 12/22/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd6d81464139.gif[/atsimg]

yep, I am out to remove a few more of the coveted lies from of this picture...

How old are you J ? not belittling, just asking, because it is not i your profile and I like to know how I should respond to you...
edit on 12/22/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
LOL, you have to be an atheist's gimmick account. Keep on going, it's entertaining

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd6d81464139.gif[/atsimg]

yep, I am out to remove a few more of the coveted lies out of this picture...

How old are you J ? not belittling, just asking, because it is not i your profile and I like to know how I should respond to you...

My age isn't relevant. Don't ask me questions like that when you've failed to even address any of my points. Stay on topic right, practice what you preach. Tell me how you can call Einstein a theist when he called himself a nonbeliever?

Address my relevant points, please.

Otherwise what's the point of this thread? You don't debate anyone, you just say a bunch of BS, and then make assumptions about people. You've accused people who don't believe in god of many, many things which are untrue. Why people like you are even on this site is unexplainable.

What don't you get about the fact that Einstein's definition of his usage of the word God was not the same as yours. Instead of making random claims based on twisting his quotes around, why don't you go actually read the work of Spinoza? So you can understand the one thing Einstein claimed to view as a belief he could agree with.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

LOL, you have to be an atheist's gimmick account. Keep on going, it's entertaining

It started off as entertaining, but now I just feel like my brains going to explode.

Cosmic, why must you make threads, and then not reply to people when they actually make a point against your argument? It's like talking to a brick wall.

That must be the goal. He is trying to explode our brains with nonsense.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

huh? please clarify

I do not speak in tongues...

@J, yes it is important, I have to respect our youth and of course women with a different level in my responses.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

huh? please clarify

@J, yes it is important, I have to respect our youth and of course women with a different level in my responses.

I'm female, and that's about all you need to know I think. Age doesn't have any bearing on this conversation, you are great proof of that. And I'd love to rival you back, but you don't challenge my thoughts in any substantial way.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
I'm female,

yes I could tell,or atleast I perceived you that way.

age is important too, I am 37, and I will figure out how to put that in my profile but when I click 'edit' there I can not see yet (or have not looked hard enough) where to enter that info.

I suspect no older than early 20's

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

huh? please clarify

edit on 12-23-2010 by Springer because: removed vular video embed

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

there be a bad word in that there video title... you know I do not mind but I am sure the Mods will...

funny as heck movie though

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
I'm female,

yes I could tell,or atleast I perceived you that way.

age is important too, I am 37, and I will figure out how to put that in my profile but when I click 'edit' there I can not see yet (or have not looked hard enough) where to enter that info.

I suspect no older than early 20's

You are 37 years old and don't have an understanding that the word GOD can mean many different things, to various people, in contrast to your own perception of god? You cannot grasp the fact that when I say "god" I do not mean the god of the bible? You can't understand that Einstein used the word god in the same sense? I'm not kidding and I'm not trying to be mean but I seriously would have guessed that you were maybe 16 years old. At the very least I would hope a 37 year old would know the value of tolerance, and tolerance extends to ATHEISTS too.

I don't even think I believe you. What is your goal in posting all of these threads? You think you can change an atheist's view? You'd have better chance converting people to Santa.

Can't you just reply to my posts. Address where he calls himself a nonbeliever, or says he agrees with Spinoza that god would not be supernatural. Those are important points to understanding Einstein's use of the word god.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Ben Heretic surely does not... I am beginning to doubt J's ability to also.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

I understand enough to know Einstein is a Theist

yes, that is in my camp along with a few other lies the thieves use...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

Ben Heretic surely does not... I am beginning to doubt J's ability to also.

And why is that? I've answered all your threads, but you fail to respond to any of the points I make against your claims. It would seem to be you that has the problem here. I'd just like to see you actually respond with rationality and logic, to anyone, in any of your threads. I haven't seen it yet.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

reply to post by SpaceJ

I understand enough to know Einstein is a Theist

yes, that is in my camp along with a few other lies the thieves use...

Really, a "non-believing" theist? Explain how that works.

And explain to me why you even care, when regardless, he did not believe in what you believe. He did not believe in the bible or Christianity, so what point are you making about Einstein anyway?

Well when ya get your head out of the hole you have it stuck in, please feel free to explain your claims to me. And provide more evidence than 1) quotes taken out of context, 2) twisted or added words, or 3) him saying he believed in something historically, not in a theistic way.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
This text comes directly from this book:

Calaprice, Alice. The Expanded Quotable Einstein. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press and The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2000. 201. Print.

"Einstein's "religion," as he often explained it, was an attitude of cosmic awe and wonder and a devout humility before the harmony of nature, rather than a belief in a personal God who is able to control the lives of individuals. He referred to this "belief" as "cosmic religion." It is incompatible with the doctrines of all theist religions in its denial of a personal God who punishes the wicked and rewards the righteous. See Jammer, Einstein and Religion, 149"(Calaprice 201).

So, unless you want to argue with Princeton University Press, Princeton and Oxford, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Alice Calaprice, and Jammer...
edit on 12/23/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
From that same book, The Expanded Quotable Einstein by Alice Calaprice:

Einstein writing a letter to Edgar Meyer, a Swiss colleague, January 2nd, 1915. CPAE, Vol. 8, Doc. 44:

"Why do you write to me, "God should punish the English"? I have no close connection to either one or the other. I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of his children for their numerous stupidities, for which he himself can be held responsible; in my opinion, only his nonexistence could excuse him" (Calaprice 201).

In answer to the question, What is your opinion regarding a "savior"? :

"I can look at doctrinaire traditions only with a historical and psychological perspective; I have no other connection with them" (Calaprice 203).

On "cosmic religion," a worship of the harmony and beauties of nature that became the common faith of physicists. :

"It is very difficult to elucidate this [cosmic religious] feeling to anyone who is entirely without it . . . . The religious geniuses of all ages have been distinguished by this kind of religious feeling, which knows no dogma and no God conceived in man's image; so that there can be no church whose central teachings are based on it. . . . In my view, it is the most important function of art and science to awaken this feeling and keep it alive in those who are receptive to it" (Calaprice 207).
"I will call it the cosmic religious sense. This is hard to make clear to those who do not experience it, since it does not involve an anthropomorphic idea of God; the individual feels the vanity of human desires and aims, and the nobility and marvelous order which are revealed in nature and in the world of thought" (Calaprice 208).
"I assert that the cosmic religious experience is the strongest and noblest driving force behind scientific research" (Calaprice 208).

Nature 146 (1940), 605:

"A religious person is devout in the sense that he has no doubt about the significance of those super-personal objects and goals that neither require nor are capable of rational foundation" (Calaprice 212).

See Ideas and Opinions:

"The main source of the present-day conflicts between the spheres of religion and science lies in the concept of a personal God" (Calaprice 213).
"In their struggle for the ethical good, teachers of religion must have the stature to give up the doctrine of a personal God, that is, give up that source of fear and hope which in the past placed such vast power in the hands of priests" (Calaprice 213).

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It seems that Einstein in the latter years of his life considered Buddhism one of the few religions that was compatible
with the new scientific world view of physics.

Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and the spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity.

The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism.

tricycleblog.wordpress.com...

cheers

edit on 24-12-2010 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join