It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI data shows violent crime continues to decline

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

FBI data shows violent crime continues to decline

www.rawstory.com

The FBI's semiannual uniform crime report shows that reports of violent crime dropped 6.2 percent from January to June and property crime reports were down 2.8 percent.

The dip in reported crimes follows a three-year trend of decreasing crime rates despite a sagging economy.

According to the FBI, murders dropped 7.1 percent in the first six months of 2010 while robberies decreased by 10.7 percent. Reports of vehicle thefts also dropped by 9.7 percent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
This is interesting as we usually hear about crime being on the rise. The article says that crime rates have been down despite a lagging economy. So when one hears about this, is would seem the question to ask is why? The article also says that the effects of economy are negligible compared to other factors in regards to crime. So any one any better ideas?

www.rawstory.com

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I think it's because of extending unemployment insurance. These people are just scraping by so they are not resorting to illegal means of bringing in money to feed their families.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

dragonfire
ok that is one possibility, however it would not explain why there is higher crime rates before the fall in the economy. Theoretically when everyone is working and not just scraping by.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

This is interesting as we usually hear about crime being on the rise. The article says that crime rates have been down despite a lagging economy. So when one hears about this, is would seem the question to ask is why? The article also says that the effects of economy are negligible compared to other factors in regards to crime. So any one any better ideas?

www.rawstory.com

One possibility:

Hard times bring people closer.

It is good that the American people are getting closer, in that sense they will focus their anger on the American government rather than each other.

In U.S., Satisfaction Dips to 17% at Year's End

The results of a new Gallup poll indicate that 81 percent of American citizens are dissatisfied with the current situation in the United States.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
That is very odd. Maybe it's because we are evolving and simply choose to find other, more creative ways to solve our problems and people are starting to choose to act out of love instead of fear.That would be awesome! Is that too much to hope for?

On the other hand, it could be due to some outside influence like more fluoride in the water or maybe it's HAARP blasting us with mind-numbing frequencies.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments

I have one more to add, and it will not necessarily be pretty or good way to look at it, I will state now that I am not trying to start an argument, just throwing an idea out.

In the population study of a sample of 55,322 illegal aliens, researchers found that they were arrested at least a total of 459,614 times, averaging about 8 arrests per illegal alien. Nearly all had more than 1 arrest. Thirty-eight percent (about 21,000) had between 2 and 5 arrests, 32 percent (about 18,000) had between 6 and 10 arrests, and 26 percent (about 15,000) had 11 or more arrests. Most of the arrests occurred after 1990.
source

Ilegal immigration has seen a "sharp decline" over the last two years, the Pew Hispanic Center said in a new report Wednesday — the first significant drop in the last 20 years.
watimes

Again I am not trying to put blame on any one group of people. These are just two facts that I managed to make a connection between.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
It seems to be a long-term trend, violent crime rates have been decreasing since 1990s:

www.dba-oracle.com...

www.monthlyreview.org...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Maybe its happening everywhere and the human race are just instinctively preparing themselves for something? Hope so. I know that my outlook on life and the way I conduct myself has definitely been changing for the better as of late. My capacity to love and my thirst for truth grows with each passing day
it'd be amazing if it happened to everyone at the same time, TPTB would have a fit when we removed them from power, then removed power altogether. For some reason the songs 'Imagine' and 'All you need is love' spring to mind.....

Oops sorry it took me a while to write and now i've checked back I see someone already mentioned evolving...anyway, least some of us seem to be thinking as one
edit on 21-12-2010 by iamahumandoing because: err

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Another scenario, the FBI is lying, to not cause nation wide panic

If it makes sense.

I mean they have increase their domestic spy programs, now they have the ability to spy on any one they wish, that means anyone, without any legitimate reason, any court ruling etc.

People should get out of their home and check for themselves.

Where are the real journalists these days?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

we're sat at our computers now

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamahumandoing

Maybe its happening everywhere and the human race are just instinctively preparing themselves for something? Hope so.

That is a very nice thought Iamhuman. Thanks for sharing it.

It will defently be a great day should it come true.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
Another scenario, the FBI is lying, to not cause nation wide panic

OK, that idea can be as good as any.
post any links and info that might support it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I read some where [sorry no link] that overall our crime rate in the US has been low compared to 30 or 40 years ago. Doesn't really explain the boom in prison construction other than to house non violent offenders.

Perhaps having the worlds largest prison population and the militarization of our civilian police forces has something to do with this.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

about the same time that the new wave of technological innovation was rolling out of DC. After the Cold War ended, less was spent on nukes, and more on things that could be used on the next enemy: The People.

When did HAARP first go operational? And what about all those cell towers?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

DragonFire
that is a good point that I thought some one might bring up. Putting more people in jail causes more fear of the powers that be in the people who are not in jail. Be it right or wrong it is an incentive not to commit a crime.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Why would they steal something they can't sell? Not many buyers nowadays.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I've worked it all out: www.youtube.com...

People need to know before i'm silenced

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Of course violent crime is on the decline; the US government seems to be picking up the violent slack quite nicely.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It is highly unlikely that in this FBI report that they are including in their statistics all the violent criminal acts caused by government officials. It is doubtful that police officer who gunned down the "wood carver" was included in those statistics. It is doubtful any of the unlawful police shootings were included. It is doubtful the FDA raid, armed with guns, on an Amish Farmers land in Pennsylvania for selling raw milk was included in these crime statistics. The United States has more acts of legislation on the books than any other nation, they imprison more people per capita than any other industrialized nation in the world, and imprison more people than China today, and more people than did the Soviet Union in the height of their tyranny. In order to enforce the more than 600,000 acts of legislation and to have created this prison nation, the local, state, and federal government has relied heavily on the use of force...that would be violence.

It is doubtful that violent crime is on the decline, and more than likely on the upswing, just licensed by government to create an appearance of legality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join