It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 86
<< 83  84  85    87  88  89 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Hey PuterMan thank you for your reply

I'm glad you think the idea would be an interesting exercise, albeit a very long winded one.

If I knew what to do and how to use the software involved, I would try giving it a go myself. But to be honest I wouldn't know where to start.

With my App, I do have the actual alert/notification filters set to 4+. But the daily list filters (which I have to manually check) is set to 1+. Which i'm happy to skim through at the moment and check out the maps, as it familiarises me with the areas and how often they occur. Modern Technology, who'd of thunk it?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

English is my third language.
i was refering to 'building of sentences, phrases and the correct use of words, or what you call it

for the spelling i can always google

right now i dont have to much time to do much analyse, cause i am repairing some parts of the house, but while doing, my head is always wondering and thinking, thinking,...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

English is my third language.

Well all I can say to that is that you are better at it than many who supposedly have English as their first language (after txtspk of course
)

I am also a little busy at present, but I will help if I can.

edit on 2/4/2011 by PuterMan because: To correct spelling errors even though English IS my first and only language

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Actually if you only want 6+ then it is not too big. I may have a go at it tomorrow.

which is code for line 2

Edit: Just looked at it and there is no clockwise movement. They are all over the place round Japan then one in Myanmar down to Fiji and back up to Japan. That is for 6+

I guess 5s are going to be about the same.
edit on 2/4/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Not sure if you thought about this,but how about "creating" another way of measuring the Strenght of Earthquakes?

The last NZ Quake showed that smaller,shallower (sp?) Quakes can do more Damage than Bigger,deeper ones.

Something like Magnitude : Depth = Actual Damage/Energy Release

You know what i mean?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Muzzy might be yer man for this one.

I guess what you might be talking about would be the peak ground acceleration since that is affected by depth and magnitude.

It is something I need to get into a bit more than just the pure energy of the quake.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I did collect the Peak Ground Velocity for a few weeks last month for quakes in the Chrstchucrh area,but it all depends on which stations get the data, as not all stations record the PGV for every quake even within the Christchurch area.
Therefore the closest station always show the highest PGV ready.
Nothing there I'm afraid
It all comes down to depth and magnitude, and proxiity to built up areas.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

So I thought, wouldn't it be cool if someone could make a Gif that would show Quakes starting from the Big One in Japan, or the day before, up until now, happening specifically around the Ring of Fire. To see if there is a clockwise pattern or domino effect happening.

This is way beyond my capabilities and is probably a huge amount of work. So just throwing the idea out there.
edit on 2-4-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

I did something like that a few years ago, like you say its a lot of work. The way I did it was each quake icon on the map was an image, and fed into a gif programe to build a progressive a sequence.
When I did that I was doing it in reverse, going from a big quake, backwards to the last big quake, to see if there was any pattern
There was no pattern, everything is random.

Anything with over 10 images is getting to be a slow process.
I have since deleted the gifs from my computer.

There are other ways to do it using KML in Google earth, but of course it only works if you have Google Earth.

Ideally as each icon (quake) shows it should fade away to 50% opacity and stay there when the next icon quake comes on, so that you can still see the build up.

I'd have another go at it , but its only a hobby and I can't even keep up with NZ quakes right now, averaging 40 per day.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Shenon

Muzzy might be yer man for this one.

I guess what you might be talking about would be the peak ground acceleration since that is affected by depth and magnitude.

It is something I need to get into a bit more than just the pure energy of the quake.

Like "The Deeper the Quake,the less Energy is released at the Surface" this.

But you gave me another Idea for something which should be monitored more closely. The "Experts" tell us that Mountains took Millions or Billions of Years to form,or that the Plates only move a few MM/CM per Year.

I call BS on that,because Japan moved a few fricking Meters in just this one Quake (might be because of the Location,but...) What about the Big Quake in Chile? Or the Sumatra one?

This should be monitored,because our Planet could change quicker then we think/know.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

reply to post by muzzy

Thank you both

I did actually just find the EMSC interactive earthquake map, which is satisfying my curiosity a great deal.

EMSC Interactive Earthquake Map

What I did notice when playing around with the map, was that before and after the Big Japan Quake, most of the activity seems to be concentrated to the Western side of the Ring of Fire, whilst the Eastern side seems to be relatively quiet (more so than usual?). But the Eastern side seems to have picked up again over the past few days. Nothing huge Mag wise I know, but it has seemed quiet, atleast in my eyes, but I am quite a novice.

So, is that usually what happens, to see a kind of ping pong effect across the Pacific? Say for example the 8.8 in Chile. Did the activity on the Western side of the Ring of Fire calm down just before, during and after Chiles big shaker and then pick up again?

edit on 2-4-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Look at this reading from Waverly, TN

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...
edit on 2-4-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Hi Susan. That is quite sensitive - 200 mV

Take a look at it on this one - WVT.IU.10.BHZ.2011.092

Not nearly so 'scary'. Nothing to worry about there, it is magnifying the microseisms greatly.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I like yours better.
Thank you, that was a little spooky looking.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Yep, just pulled up IU.WVT BHZ in GEE, and it is showing normal background levels, nothing strange. IU.WVT? Yes, IU.WVT. That is supposed to be NM.WVT, as part of the New Madrid network, but sometimes it doesn't work that way, when parent networks take over subnetworks, or particular stations on subnetworks. In fact, another station comes up in GEE called US.WVT, which never has any data.

And to be honest, I am glad, because the NM network has been having terrible problems for a very long time. I have expressed this concern before, especially at such a critical place on the New Madrid.
edit on Sat Apr 2nd 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Good Map, I've seen it before but didn't bother to play around with the settings.
You can change the colours of the squares
I have my own preferences for magnitude colours

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

4.8 2011/04/03 04:38:00 -3.661 29.643 11.0 BURUNDI

earthquake.usgs.gov...

www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Deep one in Fiji.

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 6.4
Date-Time Sunday, April 03, 2011 at 14:07:10 UTC
Monday, April 04, 2011 at 02:07:10 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 17.604°S, 178.583°W
Depth 555.5 km (345.2 miles)
Region FIJI REGION
Distances 252 km (156 miles) W of Lambasa, Vanua Levu, Fiji
321 km (199 miles) W of SUVA, Viti Levu, Fiji
335 km (208 miles) N of Ndoi Island, Fiji
2230 km (1385 miles) W of Auckland, New Zealand

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Thought this was worth posting (Canterbury Feb quake)

Newly recovered CCTV video shows 24 seconds of horror

tvnz.co.nz...

link to video is next to the picture of the photograper.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Magnitude 6.7 - SOUTH OF JAVA, INDONESIA

Magnitude 6.7 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)
Date-Time

* Sunday, April 03, 2011 at 20:06:39 UTC
* Monday, April 04, 2011 at 03:06:39 AM at epicenter

Location 9.865°S, 107.612°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region SOUTH OF JAVA, INDONESIA
Distances

* 224 km (139 miles) ENE (72°) from Christmas Island
* 291 km (181 miles) SSW (194°) from Tasikmalaya, Java, Indonesia
* 324 km (201 miles) S (179°) from Bandung, Java, Indonesia
* 426 km (264 miles) SSE (167°) from JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST= 16, Nph=0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp= 86°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=B
Source

* NOAA Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

Event ID pt11093001

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 3/4/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

It is in 6,500m of water so probably not going to have too much effect.

edit on 3/4/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Big enough to trigger a tsunami i wonder? That area sure doesnt need another one.

top topics

<< 83  84  85    87  88  89 >>

join