It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Much love and light and healing your way and to all of those affected by this disaster.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It really caught my eye

first because of the size and where it is located. and they even had a tsunami report with the details

keeping an eye on that particular area now

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Good to hear you and family are OK

Thats a lot of water, is that broken pipes or from the ground itself?

What suburb are you in? (I should know this from the last one)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
It's a mix of broken pipes and liquefaction.
We're in Woolston,so reasonably East and closer to the epicentre than the September one (which was closer to Moorf).
One friend found safe in Lytellton,but still awaiting on other CBD ones. One had a close call and had to crawl out from under the roof which had collapsed on him.
The dust on the streets in pretty nasty and gets stirred up easily. Not just geologically-derived dust either

edit on 22-2-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by PuterMan

What is the status of your research into whether the government is deleting/hiding/not reporting some quakes?

I'm hearing more and more about such claims from more and more sources--even re the usgs site.

Have you found out anything convincing yet?

Any patterns?

Is this reported on any particular page of this thread?

Thanks in advance.

link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
It really caught my eye

first because of the size and where it is located. and they even had a tsunami report with the details

keeping an eye on that particular area now

Right. - 4.4 isn't small for that area. It's something to keep an eye on.
Shoes by bed - emergency pack close by -

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
update on post by muzzy

107 aftershocks in the first 24hrs.

It took me 3 attempts to get them all, and there were probably more.
The maps and lists should automatically update themselves, although on the 7 days map some icons may revert to google upside down raindrops due to the large number of plots ........... 311 now

Still haven't loaded the felt reports to the popups, although I have them saved on file.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Have friends in Sumner (on hill) who are in pieces - they queued for 2 hrs for water from tankers and it ran out before they got there. No water, no power, no toilets. They are coming out to us tomorrow to stay - many people have already left.

Another friend in Sumner, also on hill, has a house full of cracks and broken windows - no power, no loos, no water.

The area is heavily damaged with lots of land slips.

Shag Rock is no more. farm6.static.flickr.com...

The Moa Caves have caved in. www.kiwicuisine.com...

And that's not even the start of it.

Devastating is an understatement.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

so the damage is pretty wide spread to the inner suburbs too then, they are not showing much of the suburbs on TV mostly about the CBD.
They (Council) are saying don't flush the toilet plz, so are there hot dogs floating down the street

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Here's the closest helicorder I could find on the PNSN site

look at the two perfect 2.9's and the 4.3 follows.

pele.ess.washington.edu:16017...

2.4 2011/02/23 05:17:08 39.504 -122.953 12.2 11 km ( 7 mi) N of Lake Pillsbury, CA
(first aftershock)

4.3 2011/02/23 04:49:41 39.496 -122.950 14.6 10 km ( 6 mi) N of Lake Pillsbury, CA

2.9 2011/02/23 04:45:51 39.503 -122.949 7.7 11 km ( 7 mi) N of Lake Pillsbury, CA
2.9 2011/02/23 04:44:27 39.497 -122.951 11.4 10 km ( 6 mi) N of Lake Pillsbury, CA
edit on 22-2-2011 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Good to see you're ok. Take care over there. I hope you find your CBD friends safe and well. I'm sure most of us on here cannot fathom what you are experiencing either emotionally or physically. The water is a worry. Look at Haiti and Katrina and remember the water borne disease...the evil that you can't see. Stay safe, trust your intuition and don't take any risks. Prayers are with you all.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I was looking at the new fault line in New Zealand from September quake, and thinking about it, when I remembered that quake a couple of years ago which supposedly moved the southern tip of the continent 30cm west. I can't help wondering whether this new fault and subsequent Chch quakes are related.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
I was looking at the new fault line in New Zealand from September quake, and thinking about it, when I remembered that quake a couple of years ago which supposedly moved the southern tip of the continent 30cm west. I can't help wondering whether this new fault and subsequent Chch quakes are related.

That would be the July 2009 Fiordland 7.8 quake (felt it all the way up here - remember the ceiling lights swaying violently for a long time). Interesting thought, zenius, hadn't thought of the connection in regard to movement. Movement on our 7.1 was east/west...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Moorf, as I've never experienced a quake bigger than a small tremor, would you please explain the east/west movement? What was the movement of the last quake and the 2009 quake? thanks

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

excellent observation

Had forgotten about that.
Some time ago I seen a map/model of NZ showing what it will look like in a million years from now, can't find it right now, but it was all out of shape and twisted. Maybe someone can find it on the Net, I have to go to work right now.
Look for GPS models NZ, GPS rotation models of NZ etc, LINZ may have something too

Here is an article about the Fiordland 2009 movements
www.linz.govt.nz...

What you suggest makes sense, if it went west down Fiordland way then what happened further north where it pulled away from?

heres another page that may be releveant, by Peter Bird, he's the guy who drew up the Tectonic Plates model that the Subduction theory is based on
peterbird.name...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

In a study

we did not attempt estimating non-uniform slip over a rupture of arbitrary shape and, thus, preferred a simple rectangular model with uniform slip. Because of this limitation, a small portion of rupture (the northern updip edge) appears to cut across the fault, which may not be the case in reality.

but

earthquake significantly increased the Coulomb stress (ΔCFS) on the overriding plate, particularly on the offshore portion of the Alpine fault. This is relevant regarding future seismic hazard assessment of the Fiordland region.

Link

Coulomb Stress:

Coulomb stress transfer is an interaction criterion that promises a deeper understanding of earthquake occurrence, and a better description of probabilistic hazard.

Over the past years, it has become generally accepted that small co-seismic stress perturbutions can influence the location and timing of future events. Stress changes in the crust due to an earthquake can hasten the failure of neighboring faults and induce earthquake sequences.
Wiki
edit on 23-2-2011 by zenius because: add

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's all gone eerily quiet now.......
Thought there would be more aftershocks recorded on USGS in the NZ region today.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

qvsdata.wordpress.com...

No, nothing convincing - depending on which way you mean that!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

The electric, water problem - how big an area would you say this covers. Are there more people with electric and water than without. They need to bring in porta potties for sure.

The caves were beautiful - I would have visited there in a heartbeat - sorry that they are no more.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Poor old muzzy. I gave you a start. There there, never mind! * There's another * and another.

Glad everyone is OK.

I am curious. When I saw the news of this 6.3 I have to say that I thought oh well not as big as the 7.1 - should not be a problem as there were no fatalities from that (I believe). Just what is so different about this one - apart from the fact that it was in the city rather than outside?

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join