It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 408
<< 405  406  407    409  410  411 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Too bad the RAS couldn't take a minute to publish what they have on their own web site.
as of right now there is nothing there
www.ceme.gsras.ru...
(you have to change the date to the correct one, its a spam filter so bots don't get in)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
You know the Kermedec 6.3 that EMSC had at 6.0 - detail here

I even put on my listing:

In the light of the EMSC evaluation of 6.0 Mw and the USGS Global centroid tensor moment solution of 5.9, and their wphase tensor solution of 6.0 I believe this to be incorrectly displayed as 6.3 and should have already been reduced in the USGS listings.

Well they waited until the 8 days were well past and it is now 6.0 in the 8-30 day listing.

Personally I think that is very bad show if anyone from USGS happens to be looking at this thread. If we as members of the public can determine the position it should have been amended straight away.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Yeah they can be pretty slack at times.
I still don't understand why quakes close to the US, such as Mexico and in the Caribbean don't have phase data on USGS, I've come across a few in my research travels, but not sure if its an area thing or just random.
Still none for the Baja 7.1 either.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Russians are in with 6.7Ms for that Siberian quake

date= 27-Dec-2011 15:21:55.4
lat= 51.83 lon= 95.85
depth= 10km
ms: 6.7/31 mb: 6.5/31

www.ceme.gsras.ru...

showed up pretty good on LISS SNZO
Mid 6's are pretty rare so nothing to compare with (or maybe thats just the perception)
edit on 27-12-2011 by muzzy because: replaced html in LISS link to permanent image

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
What the deuce!?

rt.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Immediately under your post here is my post on that thread which was my response to the member who came up with the answer here

As the member Bennogob stated the RT statement did not make if clear that what was being reported was an intensity scale and not a magnitude, which i consider to be extremely remiss of them. I guess the reporter probably had little understanding of the matter and assumed that 6.7 Richter was on the same scale as 9.5 MSK. As I pointed out this was flagged as MMI VII by USGS.

Basically a news sources boo-boo. Now there's a surprise!!

edit on 27/12/2011 by PuterMan because: Spelling and grammar :bnghd:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Aha. That explains it. I was wondering why we're all not dead.
edit on 12/27/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: wording

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I know Canterbury has been done to death already, but as time goes on a better understanding can be had of whats actually happening.
I haven't seen any graphs like this on Geonet or Canterbury Quakes Live.
Aftershocks
This time looking at 72 hours or 4 days. I've chosen that timeline because they seem to taper off after that and also 4 days graphs fits width wise in my screen

As was recently advised the June 13th quake has been upgraded to 6.441, making it bigger than the February quake which caused all the damage and loss of life.

However that alone does not make it the highest release of energy over the 72 hour timespan.
The Feb quake and 72 hrs of aftershocks still released the most energy, even more than the 7.1 and 72 hours of aftershocks

It looks like the two 5.8 and 5.9 aftershocks right after the 6.3 in Feb really made a big difference to the energy totals.
Also the graph shows the 7.1 as a slow lumbering giant of an aftershock series, whereas the Port Hils Feb and Taylors Mistake June aftershocks came in rapidly within hours.
The Pegusus Bay 23rd Dec 6.0 is preliminary at this stage, it could be a month, if not 6-12 months before all the aftershocks are determined, but there is no doubt whatsoever the numbers shown for that can be doubled .
Good for an overview anyway.

full size image here

Data is from Geonet
Co-ordinates of the search area
West 171.81584 South -43.93907
East 173.17656 North-42.96192
edit on 27-12-2011 by muzzy because: brain is faster than my fingers, spelling mistakes and punctuation fixed

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
whats up with station YPC ???

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Gee I thought I was the old man with a memory problem

You visited this thread since you commented. Could it it be shock horror that you did not read the thread!!!

I explained this on the page prior to the one you posted on. (And there are only 3 pages anyway!)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
USGS have made the trace lines darker on the LISS graphs

eg
LISS SNZO

Much better, it happened within the last 2 hours, I just clicked refresh and it was changed.

I believe Puterman may have had something to do with it

edit on 28-12-2011 by muzzy because:to add what I am about to say

now the question is, what is that trace at 7:00:00 to 7:20:00?, I can't match it with anything.
Too late for the Fiji 5.2, based on the phase data arrival times, SNZO not listed but there are other NZ stations there
URZ 06:42:19.21
BKZ 06:42:28.56
LTZ 06:43:09.56
WHZ 06:43:46.00
and even SNAA (Antarctica) is 06:50:37.9 according to EMSC
Nothing on Geonet either
Another Southern Ocean mystery quake?

edit on 28-12-2011 by muzzy because: to add what I just said

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Big improvement, but despite the fact that I moaned about it I somehow doubt I can claim a victory! (But you never know)

I am thinking that is close to you and too small for USGS. Looks like around 07:05 is the earliest at SNZO. Only very faint in Antarctica and Western Australia.

What is up with Kermedec. Is that weather? Seems too long period.

Kermandec Islands, Raoul [IU]

Looks OK on the normal seismo. They may have 'oevrdone it' a bit?

RAO.IU.10.LHZ.2011.362

edit on 28/12/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
I know Canterbury has been done to death already

No mate, we're still alive, despite best efforts!

www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz...
edit on 28-12-2011 by aorAki because: linky

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
hello !

Have a nice question :

if u look closely the earthquake yesterday in russia near the epicenter we have this : 50°59'28.16"N 97°24'39.42"E
(google earth please)

Now thats my question :

Are the siberian traps open ? and what i see in this pictures please ? lava flow ?
because the pictures on 2011 we see "lava flow" and not in 2007 so ?

because year 2011 record of temperature...
please i search an answer and i cant post.. and sorry for my poor english...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
you guys might like this site....I dont but.....here it is all the same.....

www.iceagenow.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Your missing quake just turned up.

Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
2011-12-28 07:04:32, -40.281, 174.346, 2.1, 71.9, Graham Bank

Source: GeoNet Magma.XML

ETA: You might have felt that one muzzy! Location in Google Maps

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by newyorkee

Actually it is very good or used to be but it could do with getting a little less involved with earthquakes perhaps. It was great when it was all about ice and the next ice-age.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by maritimo69

Hi, no the Siberian traps are not 'open'. Read about them in Wikiperdia

The Siberian Traps (Russian: Сибирские траппы Sibirskie trappi) form a large region of volcanic rock, known as a large igneous province, in the Russian region of Siberia. The massive eruptive event which formed the traps, one of the largest known volcanic events of the last 500 million years of Earth's geological history, continued for a million years and spanned the Permian–Triassic boundary, about 251 to 250 million years ago.

The word 'traps' is derived from the word for stairs, so this is the Siberian stairs and in India there are the Deccan 'stairs' and another in China (the name escapes me for the moment). There are in fact many LIPs around the world. I have gathered a little information on LIPs and Plumes here

The Siberian Traps are considered to have erupted via numerous vents over a period of roughly a million years or more, probably east and south of Norilsk in Siberia. Individual eruptions of basalt lavas could have exceeded 2000 km3

This compares to Yellowstone (smallest 1000km3) but they were not quite the same. These are mainly lava flows - very big massive ones - and covered areas of up to 2 million km2.

because year 2011 record of temperature

The temperatures have nothing to do with the Siberian Traps. These weather conditions are affected by the El Nino / La Nina cycles in addition to the fact that continental areas always have much greater extremes of temperature than coastal areas. The cycles affect the jet streams and this is what causes the hot and cold by blocking colder / warmer air. Sorry that is a very skimpy description but it is way too big a subject for here.

Edit To Add:

and what i see in this pictures please ?

This looks like some sort of photographic colouration as it does not appear on all plates and has straight edges. Certainly not lava anyway.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

ty for answer !

io9.com...

but its possible maybe its not photographic colouration if u look the article, maybe the lava comes out because its space is reduced because of japan earthquake.. its possible ?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by maritimo69

No, I can assure you it is not lava. It is just a colouration on the photo - the reason for which I am not sure but bear in mind that Google Earth is not even remotely real time.

Go to 55.665596°, 95.217950°

Is that lava? It is the same colour. No it is fields. This is an imagery colouration. Nothing more.

Here, I will save you the trouble of finding it in Google Earth.

Maps location

top topics

<< 405  406  407    409  410  411 >>

join