It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 371
<< 368  369  370    372  373  374 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
To many 4+,and this is not japan!!Is worst!

Magnitude
Date-Time
Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 18:20:03 UTC
Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 08:20:03 PM at epicenter
Depth
12.4 km (7.7 miles)
Region
EASTERN TURKEY
Distances
12 km (7 miles) SSW (210°) from Van, Turkey
98 km (61 miles) NNW (337°) from Hakkari, Turkey
123 km (76 miles) NE (37°) from Sirnak, Turkey
222 km (138 miles) SSW (208°) from YEREVAN, Armenia
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 16.6 km (10.3 miles); depth +/- 6.5 km (4.0 miles)
Parameters
NST= 63, Nph= 65, Dmin=24.5 km, Rmss=1.37 sec, Gp= 68°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=5
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0006qxw

earthquake.usgs.gov...(source)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Start to heat up,slow but good!!

Magnitude
Date-Time
Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 18:28:15 UTC
Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 08:28:15 PM at epicenter
Depth
59.8 km (37.2 miles)
Region
SOUTHERN GREECE
Distances
34 km (21 miles) N (351°) from Kalamata, Greece
104 km (65 miles) SSE (164°) from Patras, Greece
165 km (102 miles) WSW (244°) from ATHENS, Greece
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 15.4 km (9.6 miles); depth +/- 10.6 km (6.6 miles)
Parameters
NST= 67, Nph= 68, Dmin=189.2 km, Rmss=1.38 sec, Gp= 97°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0006qye

earthquake.usgs.gov...(source)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Because I have nothing better to do I have started to put together this page.

The position of the Moon at the time of larger earthquakes

Actually since I have now started to put these on each Mag 6+, and I hope to go backwards in time (don't we all), it made sense to gather them all on the one page as it is no more storage to do that and makes comparisons easier.

Please do not read anything into this. This is purely a facility to mark the position at the time of the quake and not an observation at this stage at least on the effects or not of the Moon.

Here is a sample to whet your appetite:

Magnitude 6.0 Fiji Region 27-Oct-11 (b0006edd)

edit on 12/11/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Nice post,I like it!We all from a certain age drink our coffee a little late in the morning!

Just a joke!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

to cool puterman thanks for all the work and time you put in... your knowledge is most appreciated.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I noticed a quake 3.2 in Utah today. There seems to be no fault lines indicated on the USGS map. That quake was near Green River and I have been in that area and there is basically nothing in that area, though when you get near Price there are mines. Could this be the reason?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the link, Puterman. Seems pretty informative and this is a cool idea. Do you run the site?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

You know,I have been thinking about this whole moon thing and I was thinking about that maybe earthquakes COULD be triggered be the tidal force of the ocean then the moon in certain locations.
So,I did a little search and came up with this.

Earthquakes can be triggered by the Earth's tides, UCLA scientists confirmed Oct. 21 in Science Express, the online journal of Science. Earth tides are produced by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun on the Earth, causing the ocean's waters to slosh, which in turn raise and lower stress on faults roughly twice a day. Scientists have wondered about the effects of Earth tides for more than 100 years. (The research will be published in the print version of Science in November.)

"Large tides have a significant effect in triggering earthquakes," said Elizabeth Cochran, a UCLA graduate student in Earth and space sciences and lead author of the Science paper. "The earthquakes would have happened anyway, but they can be pushed sooner or later by the stress fluctuations of the tides."

www.sciencedaily.com...

So something else to check along with earthquakes is the tides.
When the moon is full,the tides are "running" which means they are more extreme then usual.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Something else I came across on the same site has something to do with the San Andreas Fault.

The faint tug of the sun and moon on the San Andreas Fault stimulates tremors deep underground, suggesting that the rock 15 miles below is lubricated with highly pressurized water that allows the rock to slip with little effort, according to a new study by University of California, Berkeley, seismologists.

Tremors seem to be extremely sensitive to minute stress changes," said Roland Bürgmann, UC Berkeley professor of earth and planetary science. "Seismic waves from the other side of the planet triggered tremors on the Cascadia subduction zone off the coast of Washington state after the Sumatra earthquake last year, while the Denali earthquake in 2002 triggered tremors on a number of faults in California. Now we also see that tides -- the daily lunar and solar tides -- very strongly modulate tremors."

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by muzzy

Curious. The value on the centroid tensor solution for that one is 6.1 Mw, yet looking at the phase data on the surface wave calcs (LR) I would have said those averaged around 5.7 or lower
The body wave tensor solution puts it a 5.9 Mw
The eP values are for the most part mid 4 or less so I don't think this one is 5.9. I am going to wait 7 days and see if it gets dropped to about 5.7 Mw, or possibly less.
Of course I could be wrong

Given the distance from SNZO and the size of that trace I'd tend to agree with the beachball (CTS) analysis of 6.1Mw.
The Southern Pacific Rise was kind enough this afternoon to provide us with a comparetive quake almost at the same spot.

so heres the graphs
first the "5.9" (the high short one)

then the "5.1" today (right of center-bottom)

I think the 5.9 might go up after the 7 days stand down "review" period to 6.0Mw

edit on 13-11-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

Do you run the site?

Yup, I do my best
One of my selection of QVS blogs but I have to admit that the links (see signature) and the quakes get the most attention.

Yesterday's link has changed in case you bookmarked it as I realised that to just keep adding and adding would make a massive page so, for the time being, this is the new link: quakewatch.wordpress.com...

I may make a post per month later - see how it goes. I am adding a few more right now but it takes time.

reply to post by kdog1982

You know,I have been thinking about this whole moon thing and I was thinking about that maybe earthquakes COULD be triggered be the tidal force of the ocean then the moon in certain locations.

Almost certainly and I have never doubted that as - and I am going from memory here - the earth goes up and down by as much as 55mm 30mm (bad memory)

That is why there are two tidal bulges on the Earth, one on the near side, and one on the far side. Since water is more flexible than rock, we see the tidal effect strongly in the oceans of the Earth, but barely at all in the ground. However, the rock does bend, by as much as 30 centimeters (about a foot) up and down twice a day!

Source: Tides, the Earth, the Moon, and why our days are getting longer

ETA: If you want to scramble the brain a bit I can recommend the PDF file linked to at the bottom of the above article. The Sun needs to be factored in as well!! I am applying to return to the fold of the sheeple.

The main point is of course that it is a trigger and not the cause of the earthquake. I am still investigating and it will probably take a very long time to reach a conclusion. Not only do you have to take into account the effect of the earth tide but also the current amount of stress on an area, hence my slowly building stress analysis. Before you can do any of that you have to define the areas. The FE subdivisions (757 of them) are probably OK for this but them I have to extract the lat/lon bands that comprise each one and input them to the program to get the stress - and of course write the program. It will not be done tomorrow that is for sure!!

You see even though some here think we need young blood for new ideas sometimes the old steady brains are just as good. One thing I am not going to do is jump to conclusions. I will leave that to the youngsters - and the scientists.

The main problem is correlation. As muzzy has demonstrated it is tenuous. This is because just looking at the day and the quakes takes no account of the position of the Moon and where it is passing at the time of the quake. The Moon goes up and down (N and S) in relation to the equator so that has to be taken into account as well.

Have I got enough time left, that is my main question.

reply to post by kdog1982

the rock 15 miles below is lubricated with highly pressurized water

Source in your link.

2 things here

(1)They have been fracking the San Andreas?
(pressurised water)

(2)The scientists have not come up with a suggestion as to how this pressurised water got there. They will tell you it percolated down from above. They are stupid. Free draining water will not 'percolate' into a high pressure area.

I believe that this water is from the source of ALL the water on the planet and is the product of abiotic hydrocarbon production. The name alone says it - HYDROcarbon.

We are not about to run out of oil or gas. Peak oil is a myth. 'Fossil water' - that which is clear and uncontaminated and deep within the earth moves UP not down, which is another reason why fracking WILL contaminate the aquifers even if they drill down below what they 'think' is the source of water. The trouble with scientists and oil men is that they don't actually think.

edit on 13/11/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Iran it's a country,right? and we should have respect no matter what the policy !

Date & Time
UTC
Latitude
degrees
Longitude
degrees
Depth
km

Mag. A/M Region name Network
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 Back in time
2011-11-13 14:17 M LVV
2011-11-13 14:11:16.7 29.29 N 55.81 E 33 mb 4.9 A SOUTHERN IRAN LDG
2011-11-13 14:11:13.8 27.97 N 57.19 E 110 mb 4.7 A SOUTHERN IRAN SC3
2011-11-13 14:11:09.5 28.14 N 57.01 E 60 mb 4.8 A SOUTHERN IRAN MIX
2011-11-13 14:11:08.5 28.14 N 57.05 E 22 ML 4.5 M SOUTHERN IRAN IGUT
2011-11-13 14:11:05.6 28.18 N 57.07 E 10 M 4.6 A SOUTHERN IRAN GFZ
2011-11-13 14:10:40.5 26.29 N 59.46 E 10 mb 5.0 A SOUTHEASTERN IRAN MSO
2011-11-13 14:10:38.7 24.76 N 57.61 E 25 A NEAR THE COAST OF OMAN NEWS
2011-11-13 14:10:30.5 26.22 N 61.51 E 15 mb 4.8 A IRAN-PAKISTAN BORDER REGION ZAMG

www.emsc-csem.org... ) source
edit on Sun Nov 13 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Yes Iran is a country, but more to the point it is a sovereign country perfectly entitled to pursue nuclear energy and if it so desires nuclear weapons. Until the other nuclear powers agree to destroy ALL nuclear weapons we have no right to dictate terms to anyone else.

To view Iranian quakes you would be better off looking at the page of the Iranian Seismic Service rather than the page you linked which I will remind once again as both muzzy and I have before:

This page provides information for use by seismologists. The information contained is of uncertain quality and should not be reported or linked to from other websites.

The hypocentral coordinates and magnitude estimates are obtained using the data available at the time of the estimate. New data or analyses may change the actual estimates of the earthquake location and magnitude. Earthquake parameters may be derived through automatic analysis, and no further quality check is done by EMSC.

EMSC does not provide any implicit or explicit guarantee. Any risk derived from the improper use of the data is assumed by the user.

Emphasis by me. In effect I believe you are violating the T & C of ATS as this statement explicitly removes permission to display it in a public place.

I would seriously recommend that you remove that page from your links as it is meaningless data as far as we are concerned which is not, as it says, updated and may be inaccurate or out of date - and frequently is.

I have gone back to the beginning of October which has taken all day so far so enough is enough. You will find a new link to the mooning page on the Reports menu. quakewatch.wordpress.com...

edit on 13/11/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

WOW thanks for that link!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

No problem. There are many like that but you really should drop that other!

Line 2

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Now to business!

y Lost Child

My child's lost amongst the rubble.
My voice calls, out but to no avail, no reply reaches my ears.
My hands are searching, forever searching,
but i feel nothing but the roughness of broken bricks, no soft skin, no smooth hair, just rough bricks.

Thought's are running through my mind.
Thought's of sorrow, of times gone by and most of all thought's of despair.
Where's my daughter, will i see her again? will i hear her voice calling my name? Will i hear her laugh again, will i feel the warmth of her skin against mine as i hug her,
The softness of her face as i kiss her goodnight or will i ever get to see her cry when she's fallen over?

I need to find my daughter so i can hold her, comfort her make her laugh.
I need her to be here so she will know how much she's loved, how much she's missed when she is gone.
I need her to look after me as i grow old and to brighten my day when she visit's me after she's moved out of my house to build a new home for herself and her family.

I see a shinning in the darkness under the rubble.
Is it my daughter's eyes or just My tears? i can't tell.
I search deeper, hope rising inside me, then i see my daughters face. ~
My heart grows lighter with the joy and with renewed energy i dig my daughter free. I wipe the dust from her face as she lies so still. I hold her close to me, one thought going through my mind. Is she dead or is she alive?
Then i see her eyelids flutter and her chest slowly rise she's alive!
Katie, Saint Bendicts Catholic School, Derby.

www.sln.org.uk...)source

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Actually since I have now started to put these on each Mag 6+, and I hope to go backwards in time (don't we all), it made sense to gather them all on the one page as it is no more storage to do that and makes comparisons easier.

Do YOU see anything going on with your listing?

Seems to me that there is.

One ought to be able to figure out a way to do some stats on that listing.

e.g.

1. The moon's distance from the quake OR the distance from the antipodal point from the quake.

2. The moon's distance from the earth.

3. I don't know that full moon or not would make a difference.

4. Any alignment in terms of the moon, the quake site and the sun.

Would be interesting, to me.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

VERY impressive and moving verse.

WHAM! goes its impact.

Fits many devastating quake situations.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

Do YOU see anything going on with your listing?

Seems to me that there is.

One ought to be able to figure out a way to do some stats on that listing.

e.g.

1. The moon's distance from the quake OR the distance from the antipodal point from the quake.

2. The moon's distance from the earth.

3. I don't know that full moon or not would make a difference.

4. Any alignment in terms of the moon, the quake site and the sun.

Would be interesting, to me.

The thing is that the quakes also occur when the moon is not over the area or indeed anywhere near. This is why you need an idea of what stress may be built up because as i said the earthtide is only a potential trigger and not cause of quakes.

I really recommend the PDF to which i referred and this goes into the effects of the Sun as well, which is apparently very small

While the solar gravitational pull is 178 times stronger than lunar gravitational pull, the tidal
pull is proportional to the inverse cube of the distance, and the ratio of ds/dm is 390, thus
making the solar tidal pull only 178/390 = 0.46 of the lunar tidal pull

Source of the PDF is in my previous post.

Also from that the fact that the film of HG Wells 'The Time Machine' was not wrong! The Moon will break up.

Once the Earth becomes tidally locked with the Moon, the solar tides will tend to slow the Earth’s rotation even more, so the day will be longer than the month and the Moon will rise in the West and set in the East. The water spheroid generated by the Sun will cause the high tide to appear earlier than the time of highest moon, a situation exactly opposite to that of Fig. 2. Then the tidal force of Earth on the Moon will pull the Moon into a lower orbit and eventually inside the Roche limit (18500 km), whereupon the Moon will disintegrate
producing a ring around the Earth.

Re poems, I particularly liked this one but I must say they were all good. @diamondsmith - thanks for finding that.

EARTHQUAKES

Earth shudders,
All around screams fill the air,
Rocks cascading,
To their death,
How long will this last?
Quaking and shaking,
All peacefulness destroyed,
Killing serenity,
Everything in ruins,
Shattered lives.

Frances
Endon High School

Source

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
4.1 eastern Turkey,2 km deep,sorry but I'm banned!

new topics

top topics

<< 368  369  370    372  373  374 >>

join