It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 349
<< 346  347  348    350  351  352 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by radpetey

I agree, the research done by those
on this thread is bind boggling at times.
Look back thru the thread with a question
in mind regarding earthquakes - you will
find the answer or discussion here. I
seldom post here, however I probably
come to this thread 5 - 15 times a day
to search for the truth and to learn
more about our fragile earth. Thanks
guys for all you do - you know who you
are!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

What puzzles me is why isn't someone with knowledge putting all the pieces together. An earthquake does not stand alone, something is causing it, some force be it the sun, be it tectonics, be it volcanoes, be it fracking, where are the answers? No one is willing to state for the record that:

1. Earthquakes are increasing
2. Earthquakes are gaining in strength
3. Earthquakes cause the magnetic poles to weaken and shift
4. CME's increase the possibility of large quakes
5. Any other theory that explains why these quakes are happening in locations that we have not really seen previously.

Answers please...

...on a single sheet of paper accompanied by a stamped addressed envelope

1. Earthquakes are increasing

It may be difficult to persuade you that this is not the case but if you put Japan on one side for reasons I have explained before, the overall number of earthquakes is not increasing - however numbers of quakes as such on a global scale are not important so....

2. Earthquakes are gaining in strength

Not so. Whilst Japan was an exception as Mag 9 earthquakes are rare thank goodness, the remaining quakes are not increasing in strength at all. In all ranges you can look at the magnitudes and discern that actually they are pretty much as normal. Fewer mag 7 so far this year than last. No mag 8. The range of mag 6 is as usual heavier in the lower end. There is absolutely no evidence that they are growing in strength.

3. Earthquakes cause the magnetic poles to weaken and shift

As far as I am aware earthquakes have no influence on the earth's magnetic poles which are controlled by the outer core - and you do not get earthquakes that deep.

4. CME's increase the possibility of large quakes

There is no evidence of this. In fact there is a certain amount of evidence to suggest that during increased solar activity earthquake activity may in fact be reduced but I have no definitive argument to offer on that yet.

5. Any other theory that explains why these quakes are happening in locations that we have not really seen previously.

I am not aware of any quakes that are happening in locations where they have not been seen previously. Perhaps if you could give some examples I might be able to answer better. It is certainly that case that there are from time earthquakes in areas that see them very infrequently, and by that I mean often out of the time span of people who are not as old as Methusala or myself, and sometime out of my sort of timespan as well.

I would hazard a guess that many here do not remember the 1985 Mexico City earthquake yet that is only 25 years ago. I recall it being in the papers and on TV quite clearly. I also remember the birth of Surtsey Island from the volcano and that was back in 1965 or so.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Olivine

Interesting and thanks for that. (I take it all back Mike/TA I was given incorrect information - calibration pulses it is then from now on.)

Well to be honest, I did not check the quake time against the display of that pulse, or whatever it was. I assumed whoever asked the question in this thread, would have checked that to make sure instead of sending us on a wild goose chase. I merely postulated that the quake could have happened right on the calibration pulse, to produce what we saw. But it could have also been the quake displayed on a station in an error state of some kind. And I have seen that before plenty- totally bizarre looking waveforms from a quake on a station with errors.

But chances are, it is one of the two things- calibration pulse or error display of quake- and MAYBE both at same time. Ok, so three things...
But that about covers it I think.

And thanks JustMike for digging up all that.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
When the 10km asteroid hit Sudbury, Canada. What would be the magnitude of the quakes that would be felt around the world?

You guys were talking about ice dogs and earthquakes lights. I just saw an ice dog around the International Space Station. It was neat.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Appears you haven't been following along for the last few pages

Originally posted by whatnext21

Answers please...

Let us re-intruduce - FRACKING

Westcoast - Awesome job!!!
I would imagine now we will see more instrument there as They have now been put on written notice. Thank you for getting the ball rolling. They will now have to send that mail up the chain (as They sort of said to you) - Liability you know.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

Have you got any more info to work on?

If you have feed it into this programme and get the answer
Earth Impact Effects Program

I got a mag 9.8 quake and a Final Crater Diameter of 110 km ( = 68.3 miles ) and Final Crater Depth of 1.22 km ( = 0.756 miles ) , does that match up with what is at Sudbury?

Major Global Changes Effects:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 hundreths of a degree).
Depending on the direction and location of impact, the collision may cause a change in the length of the day of up to 1.47 milliseconds.
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

My input was
Distance from Impact: 500.00 km ( = 311.00 miles )
Projectile diameter: 10.00 km ( = 6.21 miles )
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 17.00 km per second ( = 10.60 miles per second )
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

I've been through there, lots of mineral extraction going on

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

There is no evidence of this. In fact there is a certain amount of evidence to suggest that during increased solar activity earthquake activity may in fact be reduced but I have no definitive argument to offer on that yet.

Actually,i might have an Answer for this one. One of the Reasons why i asked for Details about big Quakes during Nights/Days.

My Theory suggests that our Core (or our Planet for that Matter) shows the same or a very similar Magnetic Field as our Sun,albeit on a much smaller Scale.

Our Magnetic Field (or/and whatever comes out of our Core,which could be compared to what the Sun does) pushes the Plates upwards. The Suns Magnetic Field pushes against it (we can´t see it because of the Solar Wind)

If there are less Earthquakes during increased Solar Activity,than it is just Logical that something during that Period is pushing the Tectonic Plates down and locking them,so to speak.

But since the Plates are beeing pushed down,a higher Volcano Activity might be possible and logical for obious Reasons. Another way to prove this is by comparing the Speed that the Tectonic Plates move during minimum and maximum Solar Activity.

Of couse we have to factor in how strong our own Magnetic Field is currently (which is decreasing,by the way)

edit on 3-11-2011 by Shenon because: spelling

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Whilst I hear what you are saying Shenon I offer once again the description I have of the Sun's magnetic field as something to ponder.

The Sun is a big magnet.

During solar minimum the Sun's magnetic field, like Earth's, resembles that of an iron bar magnet, with great closed loops near the equator and open field lines near the poles. Scientists call such a field a "dipole." The Sun's dipolar field is about as strong as a refrigerator magnet, or 50 gauss. Earth's magnetic field is 100 times weaker.

Source: Spaceweather.com

I query basically whether the strength of a fridge magnet could move or suppress tectonic plates? Maybe it can, I just don't know.

Overall I would make the observation that this is more likely to be electrical and fired by the earth's plasma core.

Plasma or Iron. Iron or Plasma. All guesswork. Reminds me of this.....from the best movie in the world eva!

(Russian components. American components. All made in Taiwan)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I do not think Solar Magnetic field has much affect on Earthquakes. BUT IMHO; Solar energy-radiation do have an effect on the magnetosphere of the Earth - and most likely on the polarity of our geographic poles.

@Putterman;

Just in case you did not see this: Moscow Neutron Monitor has an updated (separate) website now where one can plot data about Cosmic Radiation from 1958 to present day - by day, week, month . . . MNR Plotting

I already compared - there is a remarkable agreement between Solar Activity and the Cosmic radiation - to the opposite. More solar activity = reduced cosmic radiation. (Note: Active solar flares rather than the usual Sunspot count.)

If we take this Cosmic radiation plot set on MONTHLY since 1958; how would it compare to # of EQ's in one table and Quake Energy in another table for the same period? Line Graph visual?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Seems we are the only ones here right now....have you seen this?

earthquake-report.com...

Canary Islands El Hierro
Important update 03/11 – 10:34 UTC :
A new event is in the making or did happen a while ago. Both harmonic tremor and frequency have changed. We reckon that scientists will explain their opinion later on. The current harmonic tremor graph is at max. (flat horizontal lines).

edit on 11/3/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Latest
Very important Update 03/11 – 12:13 UTC :
Jill, one of our many readers just attracted our attention to an article in the Canarias7.es. Canaria7. es wrote shortly ago that the burbuja or jacuzzi, as the islanders call the eruption spot, has been active for a while. A scientist has been flying to the spot by helicopter and the burbaja was well seen from Arena Blanca, a viewing point in between El Pinar and La Restinga. Canaries7 says also reports that Juan Manuel Santana denied an evacuation order at this moment.

Very important Update 03/11 – 12:02 UTC :
Joke has just called her friend at La Restinga. A lot of movements are going on + the burbuja (Jacuzzi) seems to be back again (not confirmed message in DiarioElHierro). Jokes friend is packing her luggage, she said. But at the moment we do not know whether it is her own decision or a mandatory evacuation.
The information we are getting is conflictual (facts combined with apparently rumors). The question mark in the title is very important.
We expect a message from Pevolca with their current estimate of what exactly is going on soon. Joke is questioning a lot of people in El Pinar and has called some people

earthquake-report.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Thanks for the update. It does appear to be an imminent eruption from everything they are saying and what the instruments are reading. I guess time will tell. All the fish are gone, harmonic tremors, and I can't find the 4.3 they are suggesting was an earthquake in the area. I have only had a couple of cups of coffee so far so I may indeed be over looking it.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I was wondering if one of you seasoned seismo decipherers
would mind looking at a few charts?
First link is from Quail, VA this morning.
It looks like a 2.5ish quake to me @ 12:50:30 UTC. Here is another nearby station (Yanceyville--these are both within a few miles of Mineral, VA).

So, my question is, "Am I interpreting these correctly?" USGS doesn't show any quakes yet, but when I compare these to say the Mag 2.4 Quitman, AR 1 Nov 2011 @ 02:53:05 UTC earthquake, the signatures look similar.
Seismograph from Greenbrier, AR near Quitman showing the 1 Nov eq

I realize these quakes are small, but I keep feeling a few of them. Plus, I just want to make sure I am correctly interpretting the data. Thanks in advance.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Yes, it appears to be an earthquake unless there was a random blasting. Don't have time right now to pull up additional instruments in the area but as seeing you have located 2 different instruments that show the same signature that is close enough. Always good to check various instruments in the area to see if they register and also seeing that there are no other larger quakes around to trigger this reading, it appears it was in your area.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Cool! I'm slowly getting the hang of this. Thanks so much for you quick response Anmarie96, much appreciated.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I am so glad you posted that 'cause I swear I felt something this am at 8:45-8:46 edt - yeah I made a point to note the time. It was one of those rare mornings when I was the only one in the house, so no one else was moving around; the heater was off, so no noise from that; dead still outside absolutely no wind; I was quietly reading and I heard the house rattle then felt it.

Booted up cpu to check the SC helicorders here SC Helicorder page ,which I check regularly, this showed up at Kings Mt, which is about 50 miles from me. Kings Mt helicorder

The one closest to me is Birdtown Bird Helicorder, but, as usual,it's basically flatline, which it has been since they've ramped up the gold mine in Kershaw. (Didn't used to be that flatline). Pauline had a little blip, Hawthorne's been usesless ever sine that one we had that one a little while ago, the rest were more or less as usual. So I thought it could be another big one VA, but all I found was this in Goochland Goochland Helicorder, which spiked about 8:51 am if I'm reading it correctly?

The really weird thing about all of this is that I've been having heart flutters and trouble breathing (tight chest) and the timing seems to be right before the spikes at Kings Mt. The only other time I've felt this was while visiting Asheville; I got teased about being a flatlander not used to heights, but found out later there had been smalll quakes in the area at the same time. Can people feel the S or P waves? And no I don't have a pacemaker. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Anyway I'll be curious if USGS will post something right away, or it they will wait a day or two.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

If we take this Cosmic radiation plot set on MONTHLY since 1958; how would it compare to # of EQ's in one table and Quake Energy in another table for the same period? Line Graph visual?

Nice find that. I will have to see if I can get at this over the coming weekend.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

My file storage (Dropbox) is broken and won't upload, Snagit (image capture programme) needs reloading so I can't update my Volcanic Tremors (Hierro) pages, (or NZEQ's)
, but with dogged determination managed to get this through, using Fireshot, ArcSoft Photostudio and ATS image storage

the two mag 4's on 02/11/2011
Mag, Date, Hour, lat, long, Depth, Location, Ref
4.3, 2/11/2011, 7:54:56, 27.7808, -18.05, 20, NW FRONTERA.IHI, 1109562
4.4, 2/11/2011, 18:10:40, 27.7891, -18.0602, 22.9, NW FRONTERA.IHI, 1109738

they are the two yellow markers

edit on 3-11-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Just wondering whose data this is?

EMSC have those as 3.8 ML and 3.9 ML. I had to look them up in my database because I did not recognise the values.

Obviously I am not paying attention. I see things have moved to the North of where they were when the volcano erupted. When did that happen?
edit on 3/11/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

ETA: Last 7 days according to the EMSC (Small 233Kb) WMV file
edit on 3/11/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Something to ponder: The Suns Magnetic Field flips during Solar Maximum,compared to Earths,where it flips when the Magnetic Field is weakened,or is at its weakest.

Odd no?

*Sneaks out again to let others discuss this*

top topics

<< 346  347  348    350  351  352 >>

join