It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Don't know. I was not saying they did. I was just saying that in addition to any possible lunar or CME influences on seismicity the almost a planetary alignment.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Japan again:

Magnitude 5.6
Date-Time Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 23:45:09 UTC
Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 08:45:09 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 25.918°N, 128.294°E
Depth 1 km (~0.6 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region RYUKYU ISLANDS, JAPAN

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
www.emsc-csem.org...

Magnitude ML 3.0
Region GERMANY
Date time 2011-02-16 22:09:45.0 UTC
Location 50.31 N ; 7.69 E
Depth 10 km
Distances 8 km SE Koblenz (pop 107,319 ; local time 23:09:45.6 2011-02-16)
5 km E Lahnstein (pop 18,749 ; local time 23:09:45.6 2011-02-16)
2 km SE Fachbach (pop 1,332 ; local time 23:09:45.6 2011-02-16)

Source parameters not yet reviewed by a seismologist

Edit: Same Location. Another Aftershock....
edit on 16-2-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Bio Bio posibbly next

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Great post in a good thread. Conservative folk, geologists- promoting the right idea at the wrong time can get one sacked from their job. I've contributed to other threads like this one & would like to add to this one as well.

Good luck & prayers from me & my scientist friends. I hope all will go well for everyone in the New Madrid area. I have to say that 90% of geology is theory, because we can't get at the evidence! Theories are upgraded & changed constantly as new evidence is discovered. No one as yet can predict quakes.

Because of the fault connectivity you've described, I'm wondering at some incidents that occurred yesterday that may have a connexion to your area. Friends in Cincinnati, Ohio told of a building that suddenly lost all of its front brickwork for no reason; then said that their news station told of an odd collapse of a new parking garage in San Antonio, Texas. Before anyone decides to say that none of these places are near enough to New Madrid, the fact is that geologically these two cities aren't far away at all- connectivity again- & that quakes can cause chain reactions.

The quakes told of by the author of this thread & other posters are nothing to sneeze at- they are for the most part pretty strong ones. Anything over a 5, depending upon its depth & the area it occurs in, can be dangerous- especially if it is part of a rapid series of other quakes. The Richter scale is a logorhythmic scale- the numbers might seem small to some, but each tenth of a degree makes that quake many times stronger that the degree preceding it. I would caution everyone in the area to be ready for whatever might happen, & to have enough non-perishable food & bottled water on hand. Another thing is to keep an eye on bodies of water in your vicinity- small lakes & ponds especially; sometimes one or more will disappear into the ground as if it had never been there before a big quake hits. All of the water gets swallowed into the Earth by way of fissures.

Last but not least- a big problem that can aggravate quakes & even set them off is drilling & mining. There has always been plenty of oil & gas drilling in Arkansas as well as in the surrounding states, but some of the New Madrid fault goes south & out to sea in the Gulf of Mexico. There are close to 4000 offshore oil rigs drilling all along the north coast of the Gulf.

Geologic time isn't predictable, either- there is no telling when something might happen. All of you are doing a great job keeping each other informed! This is one of the things that I like most about ATS- it can be a great early warning system for some of us.

edit on 17-2-2011 by RomaMayLi because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Hay guy's I was looking on RSOE and noticed that there MIGHT have been a quake in Ghana.

Residents of some communities in Accra at dawn on Wednesday experienced what eyewitnesses described as an earth tremor. The incident, which occurred around 0400 hours affected communities like Taifa, Dome, Tantra Hills, Achimota, Kwabenya, Ashongman and East Legon, from where residents called a local radio station for confirmation. Official sources, however, could not confirm the incident to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) as the nation did not have the equipment to measure incidence of earthquakes or tremors. It said the Geological Survey Department charged with detecting and measuring the level of earthquakes and tremors nationwide on a Richter scale was currently ineffective because it lacked the equipment to perform its mandate. The source said the Department was yet to install a new equipment to replace an obsolete one and until the installation at a new location at Achimota was completed, little could be done about the situation. It said there was the need to install the equipment at Achimota because the Ridge Office was too close to residential and commercial activities and ideally the equipment should be located far away from residential areas. However, the source said there were smaller versions of the equipment installed in some of the Regions to measure the incidence of such occurrences.

Is it normal to get quakes in the above areas? I'm going to do some research myself, but wanted to get the info from you guy's also.

EDIT: Just found a PDF file on earthquake info in Ghana. Ghana quake info

Just going to read through it now.
edit on 17/2/11 by boo1981 because: Add link

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Can't see it anywhere. It does not even seem to be on RSOE now.

I don't have a deleted record for it either so as far as EMSC and USGS are concerned it never got noted and deleted.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by boo1981

Can't see it anywhere. It does not even seem to be on RSOE now.

I don't have a deleted record for it either so as far as EMSC and USGS are concerned it never got noted and deleted.

Its still on RSOE but under short time events not Earthquakes. Like it said in the above text, there not sure if it was a quake as there is no new equipment for monitoring it.

It said the Geological Survey Department charged with detecting and measuring the level of earthquakes and tremors nationwide on a Richter scale was currently ineffective because it lacked the equipment to perform its mandate. The source said the Department was yet to install a new equipment to replace an obsolete one and until the installation at a new location at Achimota was completed, little could be done about the situation.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
ARKANSAS 17TH Feb'11 - 4.7 MAG

TONGA ISLANDS 17TH FEB'11 - 6.1 MAG

www.iris.edu...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Vanuatu here. That's one place I would never ever want to live, between the EQ's and volcanic activity.

Magnitude 5.8
Date-Time Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 20:51:06 UTC
Friday, February 18, 2011 at 07:51:06 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 14.228°S, 166.366°E
Depth 34.4 km (21.4 miles) set by location program
Region VANUATU

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

You & many others on this thread- especially its author- are very astute. Let me share this with everyone: since mid-December, quakes have been more frequent & stronger than usual in a wide area of the Pacific, especially along the Eurasian & Pacific plates that are part of the Ring of Fire. Previously, this area got 1 or 2 quakes a week; now this area gets anywhere from 5 to 21 a day that are 5 or larger on the Richter scale. These quakes are doing things such as waking up Mt. Merapi. I'll really be waking up if they start Krakatau exploding any time soon- that would be perfectly awful! The busiest areas are the Bonin Isles near Japan, Indonesia, New Guinea, New Zealand & Vanuatu.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
New Zealand records 7 quakes just today - most of them around 2Mag but one at 4.4 Mag. It seems we are continually shaking to some degree and Christchurch is still experiencing quakes/aftershocks. We have two volcanoes on alert level one at the moment. The ring of fire is certainly living up to its name.

Take a look at the NZ quakes HERE: www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
ARKANSAS 17TH Feb'11 - 4.7 MAG

TONGA ISLANDS 17TH FEB'11 - 6.1 MAG

www.iris.edu...

Hmm 4.7 in Arkansas? Is this confirmed anywhere else? I don't see it on USGS, highest one listed today was a 3.8

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Is it correct we have had only 2 quakes in Arkansas today - were there any smaller ones?

Also wondering why those in the know are referring to a larger quake in Arkansas for the coming weekend, is it due to the quakes getting stronger?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Magnitude 4.7 - LUZON, PHILIPPINES
2011 February 17 22:20:53 UTC

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time

* Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 22:20:53 UTC
* Friday, February 18, 2011 at 06:20:53 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 16.520°N, 120.410°E
Depth 52.8 km (32.8 miles)
Region LUZON, PHILIPPINES
Distances 25 km (15 miles) WNW of Baguio, Luzon, Philippines
55 km (35 miles) N of Dagupan, Luzon, Philippines
130 km (80 miles) NNW of Cabanatuan, Luzon, Philippines
220 km (135 miles) NNW of MANILA, Philippines
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 17.2 km (10.7 miles); depth +/- 2.1 km (1.3 miles)
Parameters NST= 55, Nph= 56, Dmin=701.3 km, Rmss=0.71 sec, Gp= 54°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=5
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0001gd1

Just had to post this one because I could feel the shaking.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RomaMayLi

Well thanks for that, but I feel that the other regulars on here are the experts. I have been watching USGS for years, and I just positively enjoy learning from the members here. My wife loves that I am on ATS now, so that instead of yelling up from my office that a new EQ is going on, I can come here and post it. The Quake Watch thread, and others, helps my marriage!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Sorry to but into the thread, but can anyone summarise today's events, and have any of these been unusual, or are they typical?

Cheers

U2U me if it's easier.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I have this add on on google earth and it shows geothermo resource map of the US.That area looks like it has been heating up lately.
Any connection?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

depends on the temp. of lava and the thickness of the above material. the material would have a bearing, a comparison might be yellowstone for example

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

According to the map it's about 200 to 250 degrees c at 7.5 km,100 to 150 c at 3.5 km

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join