It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 280
<< 277  278  279    281  282  283 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Hi everyone!!!! I've missed you all!!!!

I am currently in the process of playing catch-up in this thread and several others. 11 days ago I was in a horrific car accident with 2 of my dearest friends. We were at a complete stop at a red light and had been for a minute or so, when some crazy lady in a Land Rover slammed into us from behind, at 40 MPH. She never even attempted to brake or stop. (She told the police she was looking for her debit card in her purse and never even saw any of us. Ya think? Perhaps keeping your eyes on the road when you are driving would be a good thing.) Then that sent our car into the car in front of us, and then again into the car in front of that one.

I was sitting in the backseat and well, lets just say that the fact that I did NOT have to have a Land Rover surgically removed from my rear, is miraculous! LOL We all were wearing our seatbelts, and I can honestly say we would all be dead if we did not have them on.

After several days of pure hell and agony, I was forced to put on my "big girl panties", and suck it up, as I started a new job this week. Now that the weekend is here, I am finally back online and getting caught up. I'm looking forward to remaining beached on the couch and doing just that.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

Glad you are OK and back with us. You have a lot of catching up to do I know.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

It's great that you are alive.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

PM...... Check your message box ok?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Wondered where you 've been. Sure hope you are doing better.

What kind of car were you in? Too bad it wasn't a semi-truck! Or a tank!!!
I sure hope they threw the book at her! I suppose she wasn't hurt as bad as everybody else? That's usually the way it seems to go! She apparently isn't the brightest bulb in the pack! Especially if she thought nothing of admitting she was looking for her debit card! Duh! I've said it before, there's an epidemic of lack of common sense! ("Here's your sign!")

The physical pain would be bad enough. I can't imagine not getting at least a daily peek at ATS, to check if everything is right with the world!!!

Hang in there!
WOQ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I guess it has all been said then. Nice to see you back and tackling the earthquakes thread again.

Been in one or two (or more) myself so I know how you feel.

Eek: I came on here half an hour or more ago to say that they are doin' it again the little divils.

Here we are one3 day PAST the 7 days list and downs she goes: neic.usgs.gov...

That was a 6.0. Originally it was a 6.2 and then it came down but they never changed the 7 day list as far as I know since I still have it recorded as a 6.2 from the 7 day text lists.

TIP: This is often how you can tell - but not always. The PAGER page very often does not change - still at 6.2

earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit on 24/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
There's more:

2011-09-15 08:00:07, 36.289, 141.308, 6.2, 10.0, Nr. E. Coast Of Honshu. Japan
2011-09-15 07:53:12, -35.430, -177.877, 6.0, 13.4, East Of The N. Isl Of Nz

The 6.2 is now 6.1 and the NZ quake has been lifted to 6.1

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Glad to hear you are OK. Hope you weren't in too much pain.
I'm just out of hospital myself, 3 days was enough, on the last day I was sitting by the window wanting out

Had my laptop on the 2nd day, but without an internet connection there isn't much you can do but play Soliataire

edit on 24-9-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I don't pay much mind to USGS when it comes to NZ anyways, I had it down as a 6.336ML from Geonet

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I may abandon the Black Dot Project, its too much work finding the exact "address" of some 12,000 earthquakes that are offshore NZ (and thats just 2010
).
I have got 2 web site based batch address finding programmes, but neither do offshore well at all, results come back as "New Zealand" for close by and "Australia" for out past White Island.

Instead heres another GIF Quake Trail thingy I just finished, 2011 Global Mag 7s in sequence.

Not to show anything specific, just for entertainment value

2 versions

fast speed

slow speed

heres one of the GIF images from the sequence so you know what to expect

some other quake trails
edit on 24-9-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

I guess they have finished playing with the numbers this month. We had 16 Mag 6 at one point. Now we only have 13.

Just look at all the changes: quakewatch.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

Thank you WOQ and everyone else... all your well wishes mean a lot to me!!!

We were in a Toyota Rav4 and it has been "totaled" by the insurance company. I've seen it since the accident and honestly, I don't know how we are alive. The impact moved the backseat I was sitting on, up towards the front, by just over 12 inches.

As for the crazy lady who hit us... she got out of her car, came up to ours, actually smiled and asked if we were ok. We all moaned "no, we need help", and her smile went away and she said "oh". Then wandered away. Witnesses and the police stated that when the tow trucks arrived, she was standing there laughing about it all. Umm, you just sent 4 people from 3 cars to the hospital in ambulances, and you're laughing??? Really???

Anyway... each day it gets better and that's what matters.

@Muzzy... I read about your hospital stay in another thread. I am glad you are out now and on the road to recovery! Get well soon, and stay strong, my friend!

Thank you again everyone. I really do love our little "ATS family" here. You all make me smile each day.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Sunday, Sep. 25, 2011

March quake linked to active seabed fault
400-km rift off Pacific coast also puts Hokkaido at risk, study says
Kyodo

search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110925a1.html

A new study indicates the Great East Japan Earthquake may have been caused by an active fault in the seabed — a finding that contradicts the prevailing view that such faults aren't directly involved in ocean trench temblors.

A group of researchers from Japanese universities including Toyo University and Hiroshima University has concluded that a 400-km fault line off the northeast coastline may have been responsible for the magnitude 9.0 earthquake that devastated the region March 11.

"To make quake predictions more realistic, information regarding active faults in the seabed should be taken into account," said Takashi Tanaka, a professor emeritus at Hiroshima University, who participated in the study.

The catastrophic quake — which with the tsunami it spawned left around 15,800 people dead and more than 4,000 missing — has been categorized as an ocean trench earthquake. These types of temblors are believed to be caused by the shifting of crustal plates deep below the seabed.

According to the study, the epicenters of quakes recorded in the area since the latter half of the 19th century closely match the locations of the fault line that stretches offshore from Iwate to Ibaraki prefectures, the researchers said.

The researchers also believe another active fault off Hokkaido could cause a massive temblor in the future.

The study says no major temblors have been recorded in the area along the newly discovered 120-km fault line off the east coast of Hokkaido, suggesting that a powerful quake with a magnitude of around 8 could occur there.

The findings were reported to the Association of Japanese Geographers on Saturday.

The Japan Times
(C) All rights reserved

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Hmm, cause a 5.0 literally just hit there not an hour ago:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

So if a 9.1 can happen on a 400 km active fault as opposed to a subduction zone, then what can happen on a 600 km real subduction zone in Cascadia?

A hundred years of seismometers is nothing on the geologic timescale. NOTHING. There COULD be such a thing as 12.0 quakes- we've just never witnessed one yet. Will be a sad day when they realize those the instruments they have now were never enough to measure what the earth is really capable of. It's coming. Next 500 to 1000 years for humanity will hold surprises only the controversial dare mention. Let's hope someone lives to tell about it.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

12.0? No way Jose

For a mag 12 to be possible it would have to have a fault rupture area of in excess of 1/5 of the total surface area of the earth.

This page gives you an idea of what the fault area would have to be to accommodate just a mag 12. The total surface area of the Earth is 5.1×10 pwr 8 km2. 510,000,000 km sq. A mag 12 would be about 1/5th of the total surface area of the Earth.
edit on 25/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

... talking about the Cascadia area

... there's been a rapid 1.5 m drop in Buoy 46407 west of Oregon today
NatDatBuoyCent

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

PM....Look at this...WTH???? Here's the thread I got ot from....is it for real? Here's a link to the thread I got it from www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9/25/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

My eldest daugher (who never has premonitions or weird dreams) had a dream a few weeks ago that there would be a large earthquake on the 25Sept, i posted it somewhere on an ats thread weeks ago just for posterity. She pretty pleased with herself at the moment, I dont have the heart to tell her its only a 5 mag. Lets hope shes not right and this is not a foreshock to something else, she was pretty freaked out for days after the dream.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LexiconV

What does that indicate? (water line falling)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Click on the yellow diamond. It will show typical previous tidal flow data at 15 minute intervals in blue then the sudden drop in 1 min intervals in green and 15 second intervals in red.

I've seen this type of activity occur often just before a series of moderate quakes. There was some serious movement with the two buoys near QLD Australia just before the week when there was high 6 and low 7 mag quakes in that region recently. Often an indication of a localised sea bed drop or buckling.

top topics

<< 277  278  279    281  282  283 >>

join