It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 229
<< 226  227  228    230  231  232 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

i dont doubt that at all,,
its the height differentialls,,,
different heights,,same release of energy,,
in 10 sec period?
is the tube,, burping,,or cracking?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

New York-Alabama lineament: A buried right-slip fault bordering the
Appalachians and mid-continent North America

Mark G. Steltenpohl, Isidore Zietz, J. Wright Horton, Jr. and David L. Daniels

Geology 2010 v. 38 no. 6 p. 571-574
doi: 10.1130/G30978.1

geology.gsapubs.org/content/38/6/571.abstract

Free Fulltext uploaded

jjjtir.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/geology-2010-steltenpohl-571-4.pdf

Thesis on subject etd.auburn.edu...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Thank you for that. I shall have a read in the morning when I am 'fresh'. It's late here...time for bobo's
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Wow. Fascinating. At least what I could understand of that pdf.

Modern eastern North American
intraplate stresses today appear to be concen-
trating seismicity even nearer to the NY-AL lin-
eament with time, implying the potential emer-
gence of a throughgoing fault with future large
earthquakes that exceed the historical record
(Powell et al., 1994).

While everyone had their eyes on the New Madrid, this sukka may kill us all.

edit on Thu Aug 25th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Back to tunnel theory (I know it was a questionable source..), I just noticed a few interesting things, the quakes in Colorado and Virginia are in the same depth range (about 2-7 ft) and seem to be happening close to the same times....Also if you go close (zoom) in on the Colorado side on the USGS terrain map you discover a blocked out section of the nearby lake and terrain, the terrain is slightly different colored in an exact square. Just some interesting things I'd love to hear feedback about.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Stuff is getting real...week by week, day by day...

2012?? We gotta make it through 2011.......

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I see there are 2x 6.2's a 7.0 and a 7.1 in that list, are you saying those and all the others still don't add up to a 7.3

At least your data is more reliable than USGS.
I thought about making an interactive map for Vanuatu and the quickest way is to go to the area through USGS Real Time - Worldwide map, and zoom down to the region, then open the "List of Earthquakes on this map"
in this case "10 degree Map Centred at 20S, 170E"

Doesn't match the data on USGS 7 days does it?

one missing.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Arkansas does not have an earthquake anywhere in the state. It's gone completely dark.
What?

The swarm in Arkansas started over a year ago and had more than 1000 quakes. Even after the major swarm events had passed, there were random quakes all over the state. Then nothing. It went quiet. And low and behold, the northeast goes off.

I like to simplify things. To not wonder if there is a connection would be foolish.

Puterman, I know you have the lists handy. Could you drop a dump of data on us?

All the Arkansas quakes since the begining of the Guy swarm.

Only if you're keen. An animation of the quakes. For some reason is see them eminating outward then back in toward the new fault and the all stop.

I should have calculated the time between the last Arkansas quake and the Colorado quake.

An area wrought with quakes suddenly shuts down and another area awakens an ancient fault.

No mere coincidence.

I'll give you the storm surge is a real stretch of the imagination and is impossible to prove. But the sequence of events with these "mid-continental" quakes are constient with simple physics. Just like the injection wells causing earthquakes was obvious using simple physics.

Often the simplest answer is the right one.
This connection is simple to make.

Here's a good explaination of eastern US earthquakes.

www.pbs.org...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Compared to other,bigger,more interesting Quake-News,this sounds pretty insignificant,but there is a Swarm starting in Vogtland ( between Germany and the Czech Republic).

Just look at EMSC and search for Germany and Czech Republic to look it up.

If there is any Interest in reading alot of Seismos, here are the closest ones. All the Red Triangels (excluding FBE and SCHF) and the NKC in Novy Kostel seem to be directly on top of the Action

PS: Would do it myself,but the Heatsink for my Processor is broken,so i can´t do much with my PC currently. And the Crash of the Worlds Economy is more interesting atm anyway

Edit: And the Heatwave we have here isn´t helping either

edit on 25-8-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Wow..looking at the quake list for the world and things are awfully.......quiet.

Nothing above 3.5 in the world or 2.5 in the states for over 4 hrs??? (Or maybe USGS is just behind again)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

eerie idnit?

I looked at it after my nap and thought, what's with all the 2.5's and it seems there's mostly activity in the US

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Something is gnawing at my brain, but I'm tired & it's after 1 AM here. On TV they were talking about a hurricane hitting New Jersey in 1944 & destroying the boardwalk. I remembered someone today on one of the threads talking about a quake in NY state in 1944, & the people's first thoughts were that a bomb was dropped because of the war. I don't remember if they gave more info than the year on either one. But a tired, almost aha moment...need more info.. I'll try to look for more tomorrow!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
My internet went out earlier today (10 plus hours ago)...I was freakin! Went through ATS DT'S....

Not being able to follow ATS, view quakes, the up coming storm Eileen, etc...I was going nuts. I felt so "disconnected" from the world. It SUCKED!

Apparently 27 towns in SW VA lost internet. When I contacted my DSL company, they informed me it could be up to 24 hours because they were "trying to locate the area where the problem was located"...OMG!

I realized how dependent I am on my computer...internet...ATS...USGS...etc...if we ever got taken off the grid, I think I would go insane

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Oh man! I hear ya.

Woke up one morning a few weeks ago and had no power, no TV no Web... for about 3 hours, and yeah, it's rough! I felt, like you, so disconnected. Luckily I have an emergency radio, but still... it's not a good feeling. I think we all should mentally prepare ourselves for this happening to all of us, soon.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
OK....now I am getting worried about all these EQ's down there
*edited
Region VANUATU
*edited
That's 7 all above 5 today.
Rainbows
Jane
OK...as quick as I posted they have either removed the above or just changed the depth massively

You are right

Thats why I took an interest and marked the LISS CTAO graph.
7 in 24 IS high, but not the highest
I did a search on PDE back to 2000 and high numbers in a 24hr day have only really been since 2007

Date / number of quakes above 5 in 24hrs
2011 05 10 / 16
2007 09 27/11 -
2007 09 28 /14
2011 01 13/ 12
2008 04 09/ 10
2011 08 20/ 10
2010 12 26/ 7
2011 08 25/ 7

This year is mentioned 4 times as you can see, so something is definitely unsettled this year in the New Hebrides Islands.

I read somewhere on the web that Vanuatu is the newest land on the Planet

Also interesting out of that data is that the highest mag 2000-now is 7.3
didn't expect that figure to be so low

The parameters I used were

Circle Search Earthquakes= 327
Circle Center Point Latitude: 20.000S Longitude: 170.000E
Radius: 200.000 km
Catalog Used: PDE
Date Range: 2000/01/01 to 2011/08/26
Magnitude Range: 5.0 - 10.0
Data Selection: Historical & Preliminary Data

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I'll do a map in the morning

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by wasobservingquietly

Something is gnawing at my brain, but I'm tired & it's after 1 AM here. On TV they were talking about a hurricane hitting New Jersey in 1944 & destroying the boardwalk. I remembered someone today on one of the threads talking about a quake in NY state in 1944, & the people's first thoughts were that a bomb was dropped because of the war. I don't remember if they gave more info than the year on either one. But a tired, almost aha moment...need more info.. I'll try to look for more tomorrow!

Okay....I bit.

They were whithin a few days of each other.

1944 September 5th quake

The 1944 Cornwall-Massena earthquake occurred on Tuesday, September 5, 1944, at roughly 12:40am EST in Massena, New York. It was registered as a magnitude 5.8 on the Richter scale and was felt for a great distance. This area is part of the Saint Lawrence River Valley and the seismically active zone known as the Saint Lawrence rift system. The earthquake is the second largest known in New York's recorded history.

source

1944 september 9th hurricane....made landfall on east coast sept 15th

A hurricane was first detected on September 9, northeast of the Lesser Antilles. It likely developed from a tropical wave several days before. It moved west-northwestward, and steadily intensified to a 140 mph (230 km/h) major hurricane on the 12th, northeast of the Bahamas. Around this time, the Miami Hurricane Warning Office designated this storm "The Great Atlantic Hurricane" to emphasize its intensity and size, which appears to be the first time a name was designated by the office which evolved into the National Hurricane Center.[1] The hurricane turned northward and hit the Outer Banks later that day.

Moving rapidly to the northeast, the hurricane maintained its strength first giving a strong and destructive glancing blow to the Jersey Shore before making landfall on Long Island on September 15, hitting as a Category 3 hurricane[2]. Shortly thereafter it crossed the Rhode Island coastline, and after emerging into the Massachusetts Bay it hit Maine, just before becoming extratropical. The non-tropical system continued northeastward, and merged with a larger extratropical low on the 16th south of Greenland.

source

Okay....that's a bit freaky.
edit on 26-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

I wouldn't discount the storm/hurricane/Va earthquake connection so quickly, this from my own 7+Project

Date/Time: 2011/1/13 16:16:41
Lat: -20.662 Long: 168.459
Region: New Hebrides Trench
Magnitude:
Mw 7.0 [usgs] Ms 7.1 [usgs], [ras]
mb 6.6 [usgs] Mb 7.0 [ras]
Depth: 9 km
Deaths: n/a Injuries: n/a
Tsunami: n/a
Catalog Source: neic
Reported to usgs as Felt as;
MM1 Noumea [5], Bouloupari, New Caledonia
Category 3 Tropical Cyclone Vania was passing over New Caledonia at the same time.

Vanuatu again

edit on 26-8-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
USGS dont seem to be showing alot of the current earthquakes as usual. Above was mentioned about Vogtland (Chez rep) and i think it's very wrong that they dont list this activity. Considering how many quakes there were in that area today....not a regular place for them either.

Acording to this site GFZ there was also a 7.0 in Brazil yesterday also not on USGS. Is this site reliable? I just stumbled apon it.

RSOE EDIS are listing most things although the Brazil one was not on there.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by iWokeUp
USGS dont seem to be showing alot of the current earthquakes as usual. Above was mentioned about Vogtland (Chez rep) and i think it's very wrong that they dont list this activity. Considering how many quakes there were in that area today....not a regular place for them either.

Acording to this site GFZ there was also a 7.0 in Brazil yesterday also not on USGS. Is this site reliable? I just stumbled apon it.

From what i could find (which isn´t much),those Swarms in Vogtland (Czech/Germany) happen now and then. There was a pretty strong one in 2000 (Aug. and Nov.) with around 5000 Quakes.

Nothing unusual,but just wanted to let People here know so they don´t freak out if this Swarm continues to bother EMSC

Edit: Here is a nice little Seismo from Novy Kostel

edit on 26-8-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

Edit 2: Just found something that makes me a lil nervous. In an Article,there was a mention that those Swarms seem to travel North-East (where i live btw...). This behavior was observed during the 2008 Swarm...doesn´t this mean that there could be a Magma-Chamber there?

If PuterMan or any other well versed Expert has some Time on their Hands,could they take a look please? Its nothing serious,but would be nice to know if those things are travelling my Way

Have to shut down my PC again or my CPU is gonna melt

edit on 26-8-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by iWokeUp

Mag 7.0 not listed on USGS!

Actually look a little closer

earthquake.usgs.gov...

GFZ says Peru / Brazil border not Brazil. Yes GFZ is reliable - way more so than RSOE which is not at times.

ETA: and by the way it says 24th on GFZ not yesterday which where I live was the 25th - or have you been sitting on the post a while? Now of course I don't know your time zone so possibly the 24th was yesterday for you (?!?!) but always remember that most but not all earthquake listings are in UTC or Coordinated Universal Time (it is not CUT - don't ask Wikipedia it!)

Perhaps because it was on the 24th and their list stops at the 26th? Maybe, perhaps!

Oh and on the subject of what the USGS do and don't list you should take a read of this

Note that they do not list earthquakes OUTSIDE THE US that are less than 4.5 - unless they are significant of course. Last I heard that area restriction applied to Vogtland (Czech/Germany). I guess they just have not got round to applying freedom and democracy there yet.
No oil perhaps?

edit on 26/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 226  227  228    230  231  232 >>

join