It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 186
<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Ha.....so the increase in EQ's are down to you looking for them then! Going by your sun tan we can blame you for CME's and solar flares and all that too!
PuterMan......Aromaz......dilema solved! It's MamaJ's fault!
By the way...Extinction Protocol rocks!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

A coronal mass ejection (CME) exploded from the vicinity of sunspot 1164 during the late hours of March 7th. It leapt away from the sun traveling ~2200 km/s, making it the fastest CME since Sept. 2005. A movie of the cloud prepared by Karl Battams of the Naval Research Lab shows a possibly substantial Earth-directed component. This CME and at least one other could brush against Earth's magnetic field on March 9th or 10th.

Spaceweather .com time machine

If you go to the link you will see that 1164 was in much the same position as the current one.

My apologies that is the wrong one. You need to also look at the 10th

March 9th ended with a powerful solar flare. Earth-orbiting satellites detected an X1.5-class explosion from behemoth sunspot 1166 around 2323 UT. A movie from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory shows a bright flash of UV radiation plus some material being hurled away from the blast site:

That one is facing us.

BUT

UPDATE (March 10 @ 1800 UT): Newly-arriving coronagraph data from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory show no bright CME emerging from this eruption. Some material was surely hurled in our direction, but probably not enough for significant Earth-effects.

edit on 9/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
reply to post by MamaJ

Ha.....so the increase in EQ's are down to you looking for them then! Going by your sun tan we can blame you for CME's and solar flares and all that too!
PuterMan......Aromaz......dilema solved! It's MamaJ's fault!
By the way...Extinction Protocol rocks!

Rainbows
Jane

HAHAHA!!!! Yeah I will take the blame for it ALL......

I totally love the sun and the beach, although I have not gotten the light as much as I would have wanted this summer.....dang it all!

I will be looking for you on TEP site then.....do you also go by Jane on that site? I go by Jenn.

Ok......so......what is up with SOUTH DAKOTA.
I do not thin I have seen an EQ around that state if at all since I have been monitoring the EQ's this year. Not to say they are rare there....but is it just me or are we not seeing more in the North West over 2.5 as of late? Its me....isn't it.

3.4 in South Dakota....
earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 9-8-2011 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

There's a map with historical quakes on your link. The Dakota quake is rare. But there have been others in the past. About a month or so ago, there was one in Minnesota.

No quakes in Central Arkansas. But- there are quakes in adjacent states. Okie had three after a long pause.
Still none in the northeast.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

What's more dangerous than the earth shaking?

The water it sets in motion.

edit on 9-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

We have been seeing (very close to) a 6.0 or more per day for many days now. You have said in the past that, at that magnitude, you see no reason for concern. I assume that this kind of daily action is unusual though. At what point, or how many consecutive days of this activity, will you feel that the anomaly is worth attention?

The anomaly now seems to be how many days without a mag 6!!

That is 5 and counting. There has to be one tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
5.7 in Pakistan. Details in a moment

Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 5.7
Date-Time

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 at 00:53:20 UTC
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 at 05:53:20 AM at epicenter

Location 27.700°N, 65.110°E
Depth 8.3 km (5.2 miles)
Region PAKISTAN
Distances

150 km (93 miles) SSE (156°) from Dalbandin, Pakistan
209 km (130 miles) SW (226°) from Kalat, Pakistan
275 km (171 miles) NE (46°) from Turbat, Pakistan
333 km (207 miles) SW (214°) from Quetta, Pakistan
792 km (492 miles) NE (54°) from MUSCAT, Oman

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 14.6 km (9.1 miles); depth +/- 3.6 km (2.2 miles)
Parameters NST=167, Nph=176, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=0.98 sec, Gp= 40°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0005bgu

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Looks pretty much a deserted area on Google Earth and it is in Balochistan about 134 miles south of Helmand Province. Probably the US testing bunker busters!!

edit on 9/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Getting close!!!

MAP 5.7 2011/08/10 00:53:20 27.700 65.110 8.3 PAKISTAN

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Aromaz

Problem here is that you cannot single out the one mag 5 quake just because it happened right after the flare hit.

What about all the others in the last 7 days? Where are the flares that correspond to these?

You hit the nail on the head.
At this stage it is all speculation, coincidences only. I was tired last night, so I did not take in depth look. There were so many M-class and then this X-class flares, difficult to separate the energy pulses.
In the last seven days we had 5x M-class flares and one X-class.
We also have daily quakes of 5.0+ without any big solar flares around.

Initial reports shows the CME from this X-6.9 reached 1,551+ km per second. Somewhat slow since the M9.3 of last week had 1,430 km/sec.

With regards to the X-6.9;
No fortunately it was not directed at the Earth. This is about 80 degrees off. However this particular case the magnetic dome on top of the sunspot completely 'exploded' thus the flare was dispersed, something like the water you get from shower head. Also look at the videos for this flare. If you look at the energy graph on Imsal ( www.lmsal.com... ) you will notice that this X-class flare had less energy concentration (as measured by instruments) than the M-9.3 on 4 August.

Because the wide dispersion of the radiation, we only got the fringe of this flare. Even this little does cause some havoc on satellites, radios and in out atmosphere. You can compare effects of this flare on Earth to a 6.9 quake in London which is felt in Dublin.

Interesting: This X-6.9 flare is exactly directed towards Jupiter.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by thinkingthing

We have been seeing (very close to) a 6.0 or more per day for many days now. You have said in the past that, at that magnitude, you see no reason for concern. I assume that this kind of daily action is unusual though. At what point, or how many consecutive days of this activity, will you feel that the anomaly is worth attention?

The anomaly now seems to be how many days without a mag 6!!

That is 5 and counting. There has to be one tomorrow.

I hope your 6+ does not follow the line and shows up in the Med; I have a eery feeling about that area lately, including Israel/Syria/Iran.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

earthquake-report.com...

It seems as if that EQ in Pakistan did cause some damage to houses. We should know more today I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
reply to post by MamaJ

There's a map with historical quakes on your link. The Dakota quake is rare. But there have been others in the past. About a month or so ago, there was one in Minnesota.

No quakes in Central Arkansas. But- there are quakes in adjacent states. Okie had three after a long pause.
Still none in the northeast.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

What's more dangerous than the earth shaking?

The water it sets in motion.

edit on 9-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

From the link as far as I know there have been no recent EQ's in South Dakota. Are you looking somewhere on the site other than by State? I look it up by state but nothing showing anything recent. Let me know where exactly you are referring to and I will check it out.

The water in motion is a scary thought .....especially for the coastal areas. Magma is moving all over the Globe.....wondering what will happen next, that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

When they list a quake, they have additional information on the page.

Here's the Dakota quake...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

There are tabs beside the details labelled maps. When you click maps, it will give you several choices.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

To find older quakes, you click on historical siesmicity.

neic.usgs.gov...

Since 1990, there's been about half a dozen in the state.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I must just not get it.

I am familiar with the tabs and maps and Historical data. But where do you read there has been so many since 1990? Sorry.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

They don't list the quakes. On the map there are different sized circles representing magnitudes and locations.

Interesting factoid I found while looking at the individual states, North Dakota and Wisconsin are the only states that haven't had quakes in the last 30 years. Well, that's not quite true, the District of Columbia hasn't had one either- but it's not a state. Also, D.C. isn't represented in congress. Seems like not much happens in D.C.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Didn't Wisconsin have a quake in the last month?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by radpetey

The closest earthquake to Wisconsin would be the Minnesota 2.5M in April. I think the last earthquake in Wisconsin was in 1988.

www.wsaw.com...

edit on 10-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Is this something to keep an eye on?

MAP 5.7 2011/08/10 23:45:43 -7.181 -12.663 9.4 ASCENSION ISLAND REGION

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

There seems to be an increase in Earthquakes with what i've seen on the Atlantic ridge, Puerto Rico is also being hit hard, makes you wonder if the Pacific Ring of fire is going to quiet down and allow the Atlantic to play up. Here's hoping not!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Still only Hi Fives

6 days and counting

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Is there nothing unusual about this year as far as you're concerned? In previous posts, you exclude numbers as they relate to Japan, because Japan was an anomaly, right?

But do you consider Japan as a reason to consider this entire year as anomalous? Were we really due for a mega-quake so soon after the one in Chile? Has this year been anomalous in regard to anything (mass animal die-offs, earthquakes, volcanoes, sink-holes, fissures, tornadoes, floods, droughts, space weather, etc.) you pay attention to in the sciences? There is much going on....it seems...

I am not here to argue causes. But something seems to have changed drastically since the beginning of 2011. Everything (it seems) has been kicked up by a notch or two. The most reputable posters on ATS have avoided noting any such change in the climate or atmosphere.

What do you think, PuterMan? Is this a big year for science? Or just a big year for deluded conspiracy theorists?

top topics

<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join