It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 151
<< 148  149  150    152  153  154 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Thanks Muzzy - that's exactly what I was looking for

Just been a 5.3 in China.

Whack the co-ordinates into Google Earth and tell me what you see nearby...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Distances 118 km (73 miles) WSW of Gyegu (Yushu), Qinghai, China
185 km (114 miles) NW of Qamdo, Xizang (Tibet), China
352 km (218 miles) NNE of Pula (Nyingchi), Xizang (Tibet), China
2013 km (1250 miles) WSW of BEIJING, Beijing, China

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Papua New Guinea

Magnitude 6.4
Date-Time

* Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 12:16:41 UTC
* Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 09:16:41 PM at epicenter

Location 2.389°S, 136.648°E
Depth 36.1 km (22.4 miles)
Region NEAR THE NORTH COAST OF PAPUA, INDONESIA
Distances

* 161 km (100 miles) NNE (13°) from Enarotali, Irian Jaya, Indonesia
* 331 km (205 miles) ESE (120°) from Manokwari, Irian Jaya, Indonesia
* 450 km (280 miles) W (272°) from Jayapura, Irian Jaya, Indonesia
* 1108 km (689 miles) SSE (168°) from KOROR, Palau

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 14.6 km (9.1 miles); depth +/- 12.2 km (7.6 miles)
Parameters NST=101, Nph=102, Dmin=493.1 km, Rmss=1.15 sec, Gp= 40°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6
Source

* U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Event ID usc0004gyw

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

What else?????

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I'd sure be interested in what the quake energy is up to now that we are halfway through the year, and we were within a gnat's breath of exceeding the most energy released in last decade back at the end of March if I remember correctly??

Average of 134 mag 6's each year and already we're over 120 with this week's activity. Although I appreciate Japan's a/shocks push up the numbers somewhat.
edit on 26-6-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CantSay

Welcome to ATS and in particular to Quake Watch.

Here you will find some of the best information about earthquakes on the Internet. Why do I say that? Because the members who frequent this thread, and those who lurk and occasionally stick their heads up into the firing line on the whole produce excellent work that is based on facts.

I read on several sites that earthquakes have been increasing in frequency and intensity. Some have been predicting this since 1998.

As you have discovered there are some sites that are not quite so picky about their data. As muzzy has already pointed out this has been relatively quiet. Don't know about the hundred years bit yet but certainly as I have said before I am not expecting any great shakes for the rest of the year and maybe next, based on preliminary findings from past data.

By great shakes I mean 8.5+, those that are normally considered megaquakes in these modern days of superlatives.

Perhaps this is due to Expanding Earth theory as the Sun gets hotter and heats the Earth internally with neutrinos. Neutrinos can't heat us as they just pass through us...much like the 2012 movie.

I like this. It is good to see an interest in alternative theories and something I heartily encourage. You will never get laughed at or ridiculed here for introducing alternative theories that at least have some modicum of possibility. That might not be that case if you try to suggest that mega-earthquakes are caused by HAARP (they are not OK - let's just get that straight) or that Elenin is a brown dwarf that is 10 times as massive as Jupiter and is pulling on the Earth, or any other such whacky theories.

You will find some of the alternative on this thread: Geophysics which is hosted by Zenius who you will also see on this thread.

Anything of a speculative nature to do with Yellowstone / Fracking / Arkansas / Bird Deaths / Hudson Bay / Life / Death / Resurrection / etc you can post on the thread hosted by Robin Marks: Robinesque Ruminations

Volcano stuff you will find on Volcano Watch and last but by no means least the giant Yellowstone thread is a BIG read all about the Park just about to hit page 700.

These and more ATS links, and links to many external sites you can find in my signature block and in the signatures of others.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I'd sure be interested in what the quake energy is up to now that we are halfway through the year

I will get back to you on that in a couple of days. I am rather tied up with something else just now - not least of which is getting my system running properly again! Still have not got my quake data program going again.

You did not answer this one? www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 26/6/2011 by PuterMan because: digital dyslexia

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I'd sure be interested in what the quake energy is up to now that we are halfway through the year

I will get back to you on that in a couple of days. I am rather tied up with something else just now - not least of which is getting my system running properly again! Still have not got my quake data program gpoing again.

You did not answer this one? www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 26/6/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

I thought it was an old caldera - just caught my eye

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Just had a sizeable wobble here - in town again (christchurch) though, not close, just vague wobble..

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yes I spotted what you saw but my immediate reaction was impact site.

Look at it closer I don't actually think it is either - but you never know!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Yeah, I couldn't quite make out if it was an inny or outy!

Our wee jolt was a piddly 4.4

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
PDF Package for Mag 6.4 in Papua, Indonesia now available. (2.5 Mb download)

usc0004gyw.zip

Web site images only (7zipped)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Just thought I would throw these in here for no particular reason as I am looking at Alaska at present and these are part of the process.

The area covered here is basically the Aleutian Islands and not the main part of Alaska. The longitudes go from 170 10 180 and -180 to -160. The latitudes from 50 to 60. I have 'adjusted' the longitudes so they are all positive. +/-180 is actually 20 on this graph.

First Longitude/Depth with proportional Energy release 'bubbles'. The very tiny ones are Mag 6.5.

Now Latitude/Depth with the same proportional Energy release

Note how the 9.1 (1957-03-09T14:22:32.600Z) dwarfs the red coloured Mag 8 (1986-05-07T22:47:11.640Z) but was actually in about the same spot.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b3b1e89b62da.png[/atsimg]

Not quite made it yet. 2004 is still the largest of the decade 2002 to 2011. The difference @ 83k+ TJoules is actually about the same as the total output for 1962.

A Mag 6.8 is 1000 TJoules so to catch up it would need to have the equvalent if 83 Mag 6.8 quakes during the rest of the year, or one Mag 8 and 20 mag 6.8 would do it as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Puterman, you're a star - thanks for that, I know you're busy

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is just pure speculation: Sticking out my head, right into a wasp nest.

Based on Solar potential though as scientists say it is abnormally quiet, not according to the model) it is my expectation that we will have a rough ride between mid October and end November = 6 week period. At that time Earth will be between Jupiter and Sun with Saturn (and nearly Venus/Mars) in opposition. Over this past 4 years I noticed more of the M1.0 and bigger solar flares are in direction of Jupiter. Because of the lull we have now in what is suppose to be solar Max; I think there might be a series of solar storms over that period. Off course - there are lots of IF's and this is Nature at its least knows; so let us see.

NOT restricted to that period but in coming six months I THINK:

There will be at least one more 8.0 in this 2011. Besides the Japan fault line I think the most likely is the West coast of Americas and there I would put Gulf of California/Mexico on top followed by Chile. IF Gulf of California it will be a very bad one with big wave Tsunami.

China is overdue for a fairly big quake If Xizang province around 6.5;
though I rather expect a jump of 7.0+ in Shaanxi province.

The last expected location is in the Old World: I expect a 6.5 upwards to 7.5 in region Northern Iran, Armenia through to Western Turkey. This is one is purely a gut feeling, no other info that could indicate this except swarms of quakes. Tabrisk(Iran) region rates a little higher potential than Western Turkey for this big one.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
MAG 5.6 2011/06/27 00:30:31 43.1 kms deep TONGA

earthquake.usgs.gov...

seeya

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
www.capradio.org...

www.eurekalert.org...

www.nbclosangeles.com...

www.10news.com...

edit on 27-6-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here's one more. You may know that I'm obsessed with water. And liquefaction.
What you build, is only as good as the foundation, on which you build.

www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Another Queensland quake closer to home. Mag 3, but didn't feel it.

West of Mount Mee, QLD.
Magnitude: 3.0 (ML)
Depth: 0 km
Tsunamigenic: No

Date and Time
UTC: 26 June 2011 @ 20:32:14
AEST: 27 June 2011 @ 06:32:14

Geoscience

news link

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
www.capradio.org...

www.eurekalert.org...

www.nbclosangeles.com...

www.10news.com...

The Los Angeles link

Because the magnitude scale is logarithmic, a 7.5 quake is 1,000 times stronger than a 7.2 quake.
The new Scripps study includes maps that show the San Jacinto and southern San Andreas fault lines bracketing the Imperial and Coachella valleys, and a curlicue-shaped Imperial Fault beneath El Centro and Mexicali, home to more than 1 million people.

No, actually a 7.5 is 2 x bigger and 3 x stronger NOT 1000 times stronger.

top topics

<< 148  149  150    152  153  154 >>

join