It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 126
<< 123  124  125    127  128  129 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

It is possible MODIS may have that kind of information.
I'm not sure how you access the data, probably through LAADS Level 1 Atmosphere Archive and Distribution System

IF you figure out how to use it let us know plz

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Western Turkey 5.9ML Aftershock Interactive Map
Data Source: Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute - National Earthquake Monitoring Centre KOERI-NEMC

1 Foreshock (marked with an F)
126 Aftershocks up to 20/05/2011 3:02:58 p.m UTC

edit on 20-5-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

I used to be able to access all of Modis through a prog called Nasa WorldWind which does not work on win 7. I think I have it on Google Earth, if not I will see if I can load it.
Thank you

edit on 20-5-2011 by Tzavros because: Wrong Prog

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
WOW

TURKEY-doin the California Shimmy

remember after the easter quake,, california did this for about a week straight,,

WOW

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

Type: Earthquake
35 minutes ago
Magnitude: 5.8
DateTime: Friday May 20 2011, 19:43:15 UTC
Region: eastern New Guinea region, Papua New Guinea
Depth: 1 km

Is this any cause for concern?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexKintner

I don't feel it is anything for you to concern yourself about. The area is prone to quakes. Here is the historical map for the area.
edit on 20-5-2011 by Anmarie96 because: is

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

The containment height of the levee from memory in the Mississippi at least around where they breached it, is 62 ft. It is fairly broad and that channel of water will be causing much more of a point load under the river bed than when it is spread out over the flood plain.

Not the same area but an interesting PDF about the New Orleans levees

Here is another good PDF

At the end of the day levees should not exist. Flood plains are called flood plains for a reason and ANY building on a flood plain, including levees, destroys the balance of the river with it's environment. No matter what we do ultimately the river will win. 41% of the TOTAL drainage of the US goes into that system and humans think they can stop it?

As far as weight causing earthquakes it is no likely as the proper flood water depth is insufficient to do that sort of depression of the land. You are more likely to get them because of the containment.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The following is a post in the Japan nuclear disaster thread which could benefit from some of the expertise in his thread:

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Would appreciate help by our EQ watchers in understanding the future risk of this confirmed overshoot on the fault please.

March 11 quake triggered dynamic overshoot of fault

The team, led by Satoshi Ide, an associate professor of seismology at the University of Tokyo's science department, analyzed the process of the rupture for the first 100 seconds by examining seismic waves recorded by seismographs around the world.

"A strong spatial variation of rupture characteristics in the M9.0 Tohoku-Oki megathrust earthquake controlled both the strength of shaking and the size of the tsunami that followed," he said.

"Finite source imaging reveals that the rupture consisted of a small initial phase, deep rupture for up to 40 seconds, extensive shallow rupture at 60 to 70 seconds, and continuing deep rupture lasting over 100 seconds," the Ide team said, according to Science.

"A combination of a shallow dipping fault and a compliant hanging wall may have enabled a large shallow slip near the trench," it said. "Normal faulting aftershocks in the area of a high slip suggest a dynamic overshoot on the fault."

Ide added, "An overshoot had been theoretically speculated, but this is the first time it was confirmed. We have to take that into account as we ponder future policies."

Full story

I looked in the thread here and didn't see anything pertinent to the post so I was wondering if any of the regular posters here could comment and help with edifying those of us with only a passig knowledge of tectonics.

Tworide has posted one follow up answer in the thread (big thanks) but I am sure other opinions would be welcome as well.

Link to the nuclear thread in my signature.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Magnitude
Date-Time
Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 00:16:27 UTC
Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:16:27 PM at epicenter
Depth
64.8 km (40.3 miles)
Region
SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS REGION

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Another 74 Aftershocks since I posted the map 8 hrs ago

Most of them < Mag 2 but nevertheless thats a heck of a lot of aftershocks for a 5.9ML quake (200)

new map here

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Santorini Volcano 1500 b.c

Simav (Kutahya),, about to become the new Santorini ?

honest speculation needed, not being irrational,,i dont think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, opinions needed.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Well...it is now 6:04pm - Saturday - May 21, 2011 in Kiritimati, Christmas Island, Kiribati.........no rapture....no quake

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by chester1662

updated 0.3 points - 5.6 > 5.9. Originally 6.5 from automatic NOAA system.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

EDIS Number: EQ-20110521-198735-FJ Common Alerting Protocol
Magnitude: 4.9
Mercalli scale: 5
Date-Time [UTC]: 21 May, 2011 at 06:31:52 UTC
Local Date/Time: Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 06:31 at night at epicenter
Depth: 524 km (325.60 miles)
Region: Pacific Ocean - East
Distances: 599.6 km (372.57 miles) of Matokana,
Source: EMSC
Generated Tsunami: Not or no data!
Damage: Not or not data!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by muzzy

Santorini Volcano 1500 b.c
Simav (Kutahya),, about to become the new Santorini ?
honest speculation needed, not being irrational,,i dont think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, opinions needed.

At first glance, before seeing your post - I had the same notion. Geology is possible, it is also on a tear in the crust. Further South about 84 Km have Volcano Kula with unknown last erruption.

Looking at some photos on Google Earth: Many typical volcanic rocks; one nice photo with goat on lava/ash boulder. About 22 Km to the West is a faily large 'depression' about 400 sq/km. Looking at those photos it imediately reminded me of two other similar locations I visited with mountains around them; Pillansberg in South Africa and the Tondano Caldera in N-Sulawezi. Geologically this could be a very old, very large volcano.

Is it volcanos - Nobody can tell; only that it is VERY active, in an active region and big number to the swarm.
With the volcano's in Turkey; keep your nose open, most likely you will have strong smell of sulphur - rotten egg.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy

Another 74 Aftershocks since I posted the map 8 hrs ago

Most of them < Mag 2 but nevertheless thats a heck of a lot of aftershocks for a 5.9ML quake (200)

new map here

@muzzy; your work and presentation is impressive, very nice and plenty of appreciation. Thank you!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir

updated 0.3 points - 5.6 > 5.9. Originally 6.5 from automatic NOAA system.

Hmmm, 6.4 just after 18h00 - now you go everyone excited and stretching their wings.
The higher the High, the harder the fall; the more the expectations, the bigger the disappointment.
For me, I would be happy to have anything happen now, need excuse to push this accounting burden to bottom drawer.

edit on 21/5/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Well there is still time here as it is only 11:30+ am, and of course the fundies in the USA think it is only 6:30 am or even 3:30 am so for them there is a whole day of waiting for Jesus. This is why these dated predictions are so silly.

Tell me caladonea, are you disappointed?

It is also interesting that so far at least the conjunction of the planets has not really produced much effect, but then as I have been saying, in my humble opinion we won't see any more big (8+) ones this year anyway. Of course I may be wrong, but probably not

Strangely I was just looking at a video I had downloaded which was saying that all of Northern Europe would die on the 26th June, 2010. I guess that did not happen either, unless I am a ghost!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

In a nutshell? NO. Completely different ball game. Santorini would have been exacerbated by the fact that it was in the sea and thus was a massive phreatomagmatic caldera forming explosion. Of course the water does not have to come from the sea. Anyway in Turkey this is not the scenario, thus I don't believe we are going to see a caldera forming eruption.

You probably need to look at this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This has happened in the area before and this could go on for quite some time if previous data is to be believed. I would add however that the culmination of that set of events from 1993 through to 1998 was the big quake in 1999.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
@PuterMan: You are right, the planetary alignment had no effects on Earth; not as in major geophysical disasters. It is rather the opposite. Going even back to the later days of Newton, he and many other (silenced) physisists were talking of the Push/Shielding effect rather than pulling effect of Gravity. It is noticable when planets are in alignment with Earth we do have less geophysical problems. BUT I AM STILL WORKING ON DATA: Nothing concrete verified yet.

BUT in our solar system we do have a little nagging problem. The same you will have hair standing up if you see for three days in a row there is not a single quake anywhere on Earth above 2.0.

We are suppose to be going into solar Max; there is suppose to be a growing number of sunspots; AND solar flares. There is suppose to be lots of energy going out from the sun to reinforce our Heliopause, and stimulate the Earth's core. BUT the sun is 'flat-lining' as in DEAD.

All solar flares we had in this past 12 days together is less than what it should be in a single day. Our solar flares are critically important to protect us from cosmic radiation. I postulate they are also closely related to Earth Magnetosphere strength. Something is cooking; BUT it might just be aneery quiet cosmic eventless period; our data bases are still limited. Problem is, the sun might shoot a few M and X-class flares when it does release; and if enough magnetic compound, that could have effects on Earth..

www.lmsal.com...

edit on 21/5/2011 by Aromaz because: Add Link

<< 123  124  125    127  128  129 >>

join