It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas the deadliest day of the year: study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Christmas the deadliest day of the year: study Read more: news.nationalpost.com...

news.nationalpost.com

After analyzing all official United States death certificates over the 25-year period between 1979 and 2004, a trio of sociologists identified an excess of 42,325 natural deaths — that is, above and beyond the normal seasonal winter increase — in the two weeks starting with Christmas.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 21-12-2010 by RedGolem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I did find this to be an interesting piece of information. The article does specify natural deaths. It also goes on to say that the reason for it is not so easy to identify. For example the rate right after the holidays does not correspondingly drop to a low. I have heard before that there is greater depression around the holidays, which leads to suicides, but that would not be a natural death.

news.nationalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Over 300 a day.

Should add in the suicides and traffic accidents to that number.

And we're all worried about terrorists.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thisguy
thanks for posting

Yes, if things like traffic and suicides were added it the spike in death rates would be even higher. The holidays is a busy time for criminals also, if you want to factor in that.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Hmmm this is a pretty interesting article even though instinct would probably say more deaths occur in winter.

They can't really explain the sudden spike on Christmas day as a one off thing considering their sample size, maybe a combination of factors?

Thanks for posting this.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
While I can personally attest to Christmas time being the most depressing, I was unaware of the spike in natural deaths. Could there be a relation to alcohol and high carbohydrate (which becomes sugar) intake? You know, what PWDs call "highs"? (PWD = Person With Diabetes, for those who don't know) Just curious.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyprian

Thanks to all for posting.

I do think it has to be a combination of factors. The greater then normal food intake, and the highs of PWD could be and probably are part of it, however I also do think you can combined depression with that. I think that depression, that does not lead to suicide, can cause a death by simply the loss of a will to keep going.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Have you seen the malls that time of year????

Have you been in them?????

it's stress I tell ya, stress from crowds of rude ignorant smelly people all trying to get whatever the hell they can.

It's nuts and I hates it...It kills..the stress I mean..

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I probably should have checked this before I posted, RG, but I'm thinking the natural deaths occur among the elderly. The bed-ridden, and the folks in nursing homes. It's a failure to thrive situation. They have had enough, can't face another Christmas; give up and let go. So from that perspective, the root cause does correlate to depression.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Ladyinwaiting
thanks for the comment, and yes I do agree. That is where I say depression might be a cause of it. Also the poster above you said stress. I have seen plenty of that if you go out and about also.

Also, supper beautiful avatar!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Stress most certainly plays a role, and I would guess that people who are terminally ill are doing what they can to "hang on" through the holidays. I have a friend who is dying of blood cancer -- was declared terminal a couple of months ago and gave up treatments, and all he wants to do is not die on Christmas. His sister died on Christmas about ten years ago and he says it affects him so much that all he cares about is getting through this Saturday.

As one who is grieving a tremendous loss this year, I can tell you that the holidays are a terrible time of grief, and if the loss had occurred during this time, it would be even worse. So, though I continue to pray for his healing, I also pray that he will not die on Christmas and feel that, if he can get through that, he won't be with us long.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It seems like most everyone is agreeing that the missing variable in the statistics is depression, in one form or another. I wonder if any has tried to forward that information the the people doing the research now?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I knew Christmas was evil its all those murderous pine trees attacking their owners. Glad I have a fake and its a Solstice tree. I'd like to know if today has the most births,
how many kids share a birthday with JC?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Ahhh, stress. 'Tis a killer.

Heart attacks, strokes - our organs just give out when they're pushed too hard. Especially if we push too hard in flu season.

Stress + inflammation + overwhelmed immune system + physical exertion = death.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Xiamara
hahahaha great to see you around again. And thanks for the comment.
Solstice tree is something I had not hear of before. Yule I had, but I think that was the Yule log not the Yule tree.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

It's my alternative to Christmas, Its not commercialized and is non religious and everyone can feel united by it. I celebrate it by being one with nature, and have a black Christmas tree decorated with red lights and zebras, all neutral with no major religious significance, my tree is topped with a Zebra print triangle thingy (looks like a triangular horn).

What do I do for my solstice I did a tarot reading and reversed my meals Pad Thai for breakfast and I'm having bacon and eggs for dinner. I also bought people solstice presents one pretty present from the heart and a big hug, normally I have cookies but I don't cook when I'm depressed it makes bad cookies. So people are getting delayed Solstice cookies. Finally I go for a long winter wonderland walk.

Have a happy solstice today
I am

Oh and I'm always around I'm just a ninja
edit on 21-12-2010 by Xiamara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Xiamara
A triangle thingey?????? Is that the technical term???

If its horn shaped it makes me thing a little bit of the horn of plenty.
A black tree, that is something I would have never thought of. Is there a company out there that makes black trees, or trees of what ever color you want? I got to admit it does sound nice looking decorated with red lights.

Sorry to hear you are a little depressed. I hope it will pass. If I am feeling that way and I make cookies it usually makes me feel better, as I like cookies!

I hope my joke at the top will help you to feel a little bit better.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
In addition to stress, depression, and the elderly "hanging on," I was reading in some *pop culture* literature that December is the month with the most "break-ups" among couples.

Perhaps, dumping your significant other during this time period is not a good idea.

It could result as a "broken-heart" -- literally.

edit on 21-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Why yes it is... Its a very technical term to describe the odd shape..

Sorry for the image quality Its from my iPhone.. Note the Triangle horn thingy.

As for the black tree I have no clue where my father bought it I just inherited it. I think he got it custom made, all the ornaments on my tree were made by my father. I had to update the lights since LED's are cheaper last longer and I think the lights that were in my box O' tree were about 15 years old.

I attempted to make cookies to be happy but they just didn't have that usual happy taste. My not so secret ingredient is happiness and you just couldn't taste the happy.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Xiamara
thanks for the photo. yes I could at least partly make out the "horn thingey"

You do have a nicely decorated tree, and it is neat that all the ornaments were made by your father. Sounds very wonderful to me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join