It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Net Neutrality' Rules Set to Pass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
just picked up this headline from www.drudgereport.com...'THEY'RE COMING FOR THE INTERNET!
JULIUS SEIZURE'... last i remember the bill seemed dead in october, but it would seem that the wikiwars have been successful prodding for further regulation..

The Federal Communications Commission is set to approve on Tuesday Chairman Julius Genachowski's proposed rules governing net neutrality—a concept aimed at preventing Internet providers from interfering with web traffic.
The rules are expected to bar providers from discriminating against legal Internet traffic and require more transparency. They also would let broadband providers for the first time charge more to companies that want faster service for delivery of games, videos or other services.
Net neutrality has become a contentious issue as worries grow that large phone and cable companies are growing too powerful as Internet gatekeepers. Start-ups and small businesses that rely on the Internet to provide shopping, information or other services to consumers are particularly concerned.

Read more: online.wsj.com...

edit on 023131p://2010-12-21T02:40:19-06:00201012 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

edit on 033131p://2010-12-21T03:07:02-06:00201012 by bladdersweat because: oops

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bladdersweat

Trust me my friend, they can bitch and moan all they want about censoring the internet or taking control of it. But it will NEVER happen.

Sure thier gonna have a damm goood try but it would be impossible to accomplish. By trying to do this they will start a war. A cyber war. Look what happend when they tried to shut wikileaks down. Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, Amazon, Twitter and the Sweedish bank were all taken down within a matter of days.

They shut one of ours down we shut down 5 of thiers. There trying to start a war which they cant possibly win. Once you have given something to the people you cannot take it back, It doesnt work that way. Once you have invented somthing you cant un-invent it.

Just because our dogmatic narrow minded western governments want to censor the internet, do you honestly think other countries will play along? The middle east? Iran? Yemen? Russia? China?

There will be hundreds of thousands of open servers still avilable around the world, people will simply just use those.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Well, it just happened to Venezuela. They made it so you cannot 'hate', and cannot say bad stuff about bad people.

www.bbc.co.uk...

This means that pc rules will be criminally enforced. Like termites, the authorities (people who needed bread to eat) will begin arresting us for things we said today, gnawing away at our inalienable rights.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jademonkey2k

but what they can institute is the isp's passing along the price tag to the consumer, no they won't technically take down the content, but i will be effectively unavailable if you you are outclassed and can't afford internet anymore..

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
i don't think it would seem to unreasonable that if tptb wished they could charge $300+ per month for internet access, how would that sit with many peoples already tight budgets..

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bladdersweat

not to mention that within 8 years all of our 'current' hardware will be replaced, with 'upgrades'. i mean how many of us are really using any hardware that was made in 2002, now? the future of computers seems more to be integrating between the sheeple's TV and Facekook:
www.sonystyle.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Jademonkey2k

"simply just use those"

you really think its going to be that "simple"?

your in for quite a rude awakening then.

your basing this assumption on the premise that it will function the same as the old internet. in order to control the infrastructure between your computer and the server, there will be very specific fundamental changes to what we know as IP traffic.

this is no easy task, it will require a massive shutdown (per executive order).

but rest assured, when its back, access will be limited to the few who comply. the initial requirements will probably consist of paying a fee, setting up new router which will most likely be provided by the ISP and have some type of identification access issued by the FCC (probably a login, ID#, or maybe even swipe card). this card/number/login will act as your "license".

this is the same way the FCC took over amature radio.

without a license you wont have access to the public network.

any remaining networks that do not comply with the change to the new protocols will be considered private networks only, and may even have their own rules. they will use every fiber of their being to phase out these private networks, or simply make it impossible for them to grow.

which makes me think they will also have some new advancing piece of technology to be coupled with the new internet, only to lure everybody in, while they phase out the less controllable tech.

any connection to anything outside of the US, will be made impossible through conventional infrastructure. which is why it requires a shutdown.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The FCC would be wise not to follow through with this. I don't think they realize the implications this would have for their organization and every other organization that they assume would benefit from this were it to pass. You think the wikileaks fiasco was bad? That was only one website that was attempted to be shut down, and we all saw what happened. Now you wanna regulate the WHOLE INTERNET? And they think we're gonna let it happen peacefully? Okay, go ahead and pass it and see what happens.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

i would hope they already thought of this.

which leads me to assume, that they would have to take advantage of some sort of event, where all normal modes of reaction were overwritten.

like...a cyber-false-flag-weve-been-hacked-by-china-shutdown-everything-or-we-get-nuked type of event.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Being discussed here :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

Sop talking out your ass, you know nothing of how packets are sent...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The only thing keeping them form total censorship are communities like ATS, and there will be a time where our determination will be tested and our Internet will be under heavy attack. That is the time where we must do something about it, talk to our regional reps, get involved. Be ready for war in the near future, my friends.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

oh but i dont need to with all my leet pr0gz and scriptz.

*eyes roll out of head*

top topics

join