It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time slips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Have you ever day-dreamed, where you might have been sitting in a chair, or at a desk, and your mind wanders in all kinds of directions, to awake in the same place, "back to reality". Have you ever, while walking around, experienced a gap in time, perhaps only a few seconds, like for a while your felt connected, and then something happened, and then all of a sudden you were "back in" to reality. Perhaps, like a missing piece of time, the gap between, an empty region of reality that was somehow "skipped". Lets take this a step further, imagine if these time skips were felt in a synchronous fashion, that is, we all "skipped" in time for a certain duration, for lets say, we have five minutes every day, where we all end up "forgetting" what happened - we can do whatever we want in that time that we "forget" however only things that do not disrupt our normal chain of memories (that is, we return to our places after that five minutes). Imagine it as a kind of "other world" - part real, part dellusion. You might have people walking across the street, and then it occurs, and they all do what they really wanted to do, knowing that they will all forget after its over.

Can you imagine this - what would you do?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I have had this happen. While driving, walking etc. It is disconcerting, in that I have no memory of what took place, but I never lost control of what I was doing. There are also a lot of cases of this phenomenon in Liverpool.

www.parascience.org.uk...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Since you wouldn't learn anything from your experiences at the time, and would still have to face consequences for whatever you did, the potential has some pretty strict limitations.

If we're assuming that during the time slip period, you would still remember whatever you had in mind beforehand, I think I might arrange to perform tests on myself. I could probably gain quite a bit of self-knowledge if I were able to set up experiments to subject myself to without being aware of the arrangements I had made myself.

Of course, it would be pretty difficult to set up a proper experimental procedure in just five minutes, so I'd probably brainstorm, take notes, and then hide them somewhere I wouldn't know to look until the next time slip period.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
so basically what your saying i can go back in time? For example i walk down the streets of Los Angeles 2010 when i suddenly notice that people wear things different from that time era like the 1930s

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Desertopa

Yes, its sort of like that. Perhaps if we think about it another way, if time itself diverges, so for a period of five minutes, there is like a "bubble" in time, that is linked to our minds. Consciously, we experience things in a linear fashion, when the time slip occurs, since we forget what happened after the event occurs, we essentially have the experience of "skipping" time. However, there would be some kind of alter-ego that we develop, some kind of hidden self that develops out of all the years of our lives and all the things that we have done in those five minutes. Or, perhaps, that when we go to sleep, we all enter another world, where we have our own lives and experiences, however, when we wake up, we forget that it all occured, however, in our subconscious, we are thinking about what we are going to do next when we go to sleep.
edit on 20-12-2010 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
According to quantum theory, reality itself is discontinuous, so in effect, this is happening all the time, so to speak, or it could be said that there is no time, that time is part of the illusion of causation, when in truth, everything is already one thing to begin with, now and forever. Also, each night when we sleep, we tap into the absolute unconsciousness of the zero point field or the akashic field, and so, every morning, it's a whole new ballgame, until we "remember" who we thought we were, and re-activate the personality. In theory, an individual could awaken a whole new being if they wanted to. It's always fresh and new, the clock reset at each moment through the eternally unfolding present moment. What else could be going on? Only what we make of it and the meaning we assign to it, nothing more.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

More interesting than that, perhaps if for a brief moment you could actually be existing in the past, however it would be such a way that you would not acutely realise it - for example, where I work, the place has not changed for the last 20 years, and sometimes I see people that look and feel as if they belong to the 1980's - I mean, their clothes, demeanour etc. I walk straight past them, and on the rare occasion talk to them. I could be synchronistically crossing paths with people from the past, as time interlaces with itself.
edit on 20-12-2010 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

is it possible to get caught in camera because sometimes you might see people with out of era clothing in the pictures

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Deevamk

There is something about these experiences, as well as the experiences that I have had, there is some kind of law or force that prevents reality from falling apart, the experiences are often highly synchronised, they mould together without totally distorting the collective reality of either the past or the present. On rare occasions, people whom are perceptive enough, could realise what was was going on.

There is an equally intriguing aspect to this, it could be that we all live in parallell worlds to some extent, what we hear people say, and what they hear themselves as saying could be totally different, we could all be talking to different versions of each other.
edit on 21-12-2010 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

When it comes to cameras, it will work if the same camera was also there 50 years ago.
edit on 21-12-2010 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
According to quantum theory, reality itself is discontinuous, so in effect, this is happening all the time, so to speak, or it could be said that there is no time, that time is part of the illusion of causation, when in truth, everything is already one thing to begin with, now and forever. Also, each night when we sleep, we tap into the absolute unconsciousness of the zero point field or the akashic field, and so, every morning, it's a whole new ballgame, until we "remember" who we thought we were, and re-activate the personality. In theory, an individual could awaken a whole new being if they wanted to.

I don't see how this follows. Just because time is quantized doesn't mean that the state in one plank time doesn't have to follow from previous states in a predictable manner. Also, what would this have to do with an absolute unconsciousness of any sort? Supposing that one exists, why should one's ability to switch from one identity to another be contingent on the discontinuity of time?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
Also, each night when we sleep, we tap into the absolute unconsciousness of the zero point field or the akashic field, and so, every morning, it's a whole new ballgame, until we "remember" who we thought we were, and re-activate the personality.

What a marvelous way of putting it.

As for me, I experience these time gaps every day. I've dedicated years of my life to contemplating time, its nature, and its effect on consciousness. It began when I realized, as a child, that time moved more quickly when I didn't think about it. This disturbed me, because I had been told that time was a constant, yet I found I could not affect physical matter with my mind in the same way that I could affect time. It didn't take me long to realize that time was not real. We only need it to be real, in order to understand our limited perspectives on reality.

It is all now. Right now. Everything. All the time.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Folly

From my understanding, there are "time frequencies" that we experience. For example, in order to consciously perceive something, a part of our awareness "already" sees it occur, and then, when we observe what we see, our minds can fabricate our perceptions based on what is predicted to happen in the future. For example, if you had a time delay of three seconds (very long) then your awareness is "cycling" between three seconds in the future. Due to this, time would progress at a slower pace, however reality would be much more vivid and detailed. If your mind had a very short delay, say, a few milliseconds, then you would be more "grounded" in reality as it is, with less space for the imagination. I have a theory that there is some kind of "master clock" based upon the movement of planets. When it comes to beings from "other dimensions", in effect, they have an incredibly "fast" perception, fast to the point that they make almost zero predictions about the future, and thus, their minds are too fast to perceive our more "dense" (or slow) reality. However, on the other hand, because they have less space in thier imagination, thier behaviours are set in a more permanant fashion, and thus they do not have the same degree of "free will" (time to make decisions between cycles) that we have. I would imagine, further, that the "afterlife" would be at an incredibly long frequency, to the point of darkness. The imagination of the individuals that inhabit this world is what gives it its colour and form, and ultimatley, the "immortal" beings can exist in pure void, and can literally live inside thier own imaginations, without having any real effect on the causality of other beings in the living world.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The experiences being described here sound a like automaticity. For instance, some people will be driving home from work and have so many things going on inside their head that they arrive in the driveway at home not consciously remembering the drive. They were on autopilot and therefore dont remember the drive home but that had have done it because there they are. And it seems like most of the experiences described happen when someone is doing a task that does not really require too much of your conscious attention.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Oh i swear this happens to me quite often! Its either because im extremely forgetful or somethings going on.

One day i was feeling a bit off and i fell asleep for what i assume was like 15 minutes and when i woke up it was around the exact time i had fallen asleep, It was a bit odd but i guess there are logical explanations.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Great thread.

I also believe that time is not constant.

Truthfully, you guys all gave some great examples. Just wanted to share that this thread is cool.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

I have experienced that on many occasions, it makes me wonder about the true meaning of my conscious will, or if my mind and my perception of "me" being the "cause" of my actions is simply a dellusion of the mind itself. However, if I define myself by the sum-total of my actions (and not my "intent") then it would mean that "I" was slipping outside of my own normal bodily awareness. I guess its akin to sleepwalking in a way. Imagine though, if it happened that many people lost consciousness of their own actions, they could all just be in "autopilot" or perhaps in some way, at timed intervals, collective consciousness could experience such moments, if we all experienced it, then possibly, we could all technically be frozen for a period of time, and then the next thing we remember is that we are somewhere else, like being awake and instantly transferring to the sleepwalking state. Its one of those things, if we could experience these moments in unison, then it could be that there are gaps in time, possibly an infinitude of gaps, however, since we are not aware of it, we continue to exist in our specific conscious construct.
edit on 22-12-2010 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

is it possible to get caught in camera because sometimes you might see people with out of era clothing in the pictures

What makes you suppose this is a result of time periods intersecting though? I have friends who wear clothing from other time periods in public for fun.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

You might find Michael Talbot's "Holographic Universe" a interesting book to read.

Another "glitch" in the Matrix as Morpheus would say.

Possibly scientists are now considering that "time" is a 3d construct and has little or no relevance in other dimensions or multiverses as we now know of it.

The word linear comes from the Latin word linearis, which means created by lines. In advanced mathematics, a linear map or function f(x) is a function which satisfies the following two properties: Additivity (also called the superposition property): f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y). This says that f is a group homomorphism with respect to addition.

Homogeneity of degree 1: f(?x) = ?f(x) for all ?. It turns out that homogeneity follows from the additivity property in all cases where ? is rational. In that case, provided that the function is continuous, it becomes useless to establish the condition of homogeneity as an additional axiom.

In this definition, x is not necessarily a real number, but can in general be a member of any vector space. A less restrictive definition of linear function, not coinciding with the definition of linear map, is used in elementary mathematics.

The concept of linearity can be extended to linear operators. Important examples of linear operators include the derivative considered as a differential operator, and many constructed from it, such as del and the Laplacian. When a differential equation can be expressed in linear form, it is particularly easy to solve by breaking the equation up into smaller pieces, solving each of those pieces, and adding the solutions up.

Linear algebra is the branch of mathematics concerned with the study of vectors, vector spaces (or linear spaces), linear transformations (or linear maps), and systems of linear equations.

Time is a component of a measuring system used to sequence events, to compare the durations of events and the intervals between them, and to quantify the motions of objects. Time has been a major subject of religion, philosophy, and science, but defining time in a non-controversial manner applicable to all fields of study has consistently eluded the greatest scholars.

In physics and other sciences, time is considered one of the few fundamental quantities. [2]Time is used to define other quantities – such as velocity – and defining time in terms of such quantities would result in circularity of definition.[3] An operational definition of time, wherein one says that observing a certain number of repetitions of one or another standard cyclical event (such as the passage of a free-swinging pendulum) constitutes one standard unit such as the second, is highly useful in the conduct of both advanced experiments and everyday affairs of life. The operational definition leaves aside the question whether there is something called time, apart from the counting activity just mentioned, that flows and that can be measured. Investigations of a single continuum called space-time brings the nature of time into association with related questions into the nature of space, questions that have their roots in the works of early students of natural philosophy.

Among prominent philosophers, there are two distinct viewpoints on time. One view is that time is part of the fundamental structure of the universe, a dimension in which events occur in sequence. Time travel, in this view, becomes a possibility as other "times" persist like frames of a film strip, spread out across the time line. Sir Isaac Newton subscribed to this realist view, and hence it is sometimes referred to as Newtonian time.[4][5] The opposing view is that time does not refer to any kind of "container" that events and objects "move through", nor to any entity that "flows", but that it is instead part of a fundamental intellectual structure (together with space and number) within which humans sequence and compare events. This second view, in the tradition of Gottfried Leibniz[6] and Immanuel Kant,[7][8] holds that time is neither an event nor a thing, and thus is not itself measurable nor can it be traveled.

Temporal measurement has occupied scientists and technologists, and was a prime motivation in navigation and astronomy. Periodic events and periodic motion have long served as standards for units of time. Examples include the apparent motion of the sun across the sky, the phases of the moon, the swing of a pendulum, and the beat of a heart. Currently, the international unit of time, the second, is defined in terms of radiation emitted by caesium atoms. - Jay Norem

Source: www.drummerworld.com...

I quoted the above because this is like wise my understanding that I somehow could not put into words as elegantly as Jay could.

edit on 23-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: Added external information with source and author

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Desertopa

The effect seems to occur in places that were synchronous between time periods. For example, on benches that had existed in both time periods, a person sitting on the same bench many years ago, that sees someone from the future that does not appear to be out-of-synchronisation will also see them in thier time period, and when you see them there, they will not seem as strange because the clothing of that period had also existed. However, its one of those things, because there is no real way to prove it, and indeed, many people do wear clothes from earlier periods. For example, when it comes to the phenomenon of ghosts that are said to haunt various houses, it could be that they are stuck in time, and that in thier minds or in thier reality, they are going about thier regular business in the particular house, however, when their "ghost" is seen by people living in the "present" it appears as a vague apparition, sometimes opening doors and changing the location of particular items. When it comes to seeing actual people from different time periods, it could be a kind of "time overlap" - and because it is so synchronous, it is almost impossible to prove.
edit on 23-12-2010 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join