It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chembow or "Circumhorizontal arc"??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Was heading to work this morning when I noticed some awesome looking rainbow clouds so naturally I took some pics (camera phone) roughly 8:00am this morning sun is barely coming up off the horizon.

When I got out for my lunch break roughly 11:50am I noticed the same awesome clouds still there.

Anyway I created this thread to:
A) share these pretty cool pictures
B) see what everyone thinks is the "cause" of the rainbow style clouds (I'll admit I don't remember seeing them so often before) and I have noticed A lot of contrails in the sky lately.

Circumhorizontal Arc

was reading up on the phenomena here and have to admit it looks pretty damn similar, however the part that they suggest the sun has to be "high" in the sky to reflect at the right angle through the ice crystals in the air seemed a bit amiss to me as the first pictures I took were when the sun was very very low on the horizon at ~8:00am

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Very pretty pictures! Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure what it is, perhaps it could be another similar phenomenon:
Sundogs
Circumzenithal Arc
Rare Haloes
HyperPhysics site Haloes

edit on 12/20/2010 by SpaceJ because: link

Would you say that it had blue on the outside and red on the inside, or red on the outside and blue on the inside? It's hard to tell from the photo.
edit on 12/20/2010 by SpaceJ because: question

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Thanks, I am pretty sure its Circumhorizontal Arc at work here. It was nice as the clouds were like that the majority of the day. Honestly the "scenery" here in Colorado this time of year has been exceptionally beautiful in contrast to the usual fog/overcast that is predominant around this time of year.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Rainbow colored mists are the ultimate sign of DEATH!!! They signal a very toxic immune-suppressant. There's a website titled 'Strange Days Strange Skies'... worth googling.

But then again there's plenty of great ways to boost your immune system... try collostrum.

Or your inner god light of ultimate victory (you can feel it around the thymus) - if your into metaphysics.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayura
Rainbow colored mists are the ultimate sign of DEATH!!! They signal a very toxic immune-suppressant. There's a website titled 'Strange Days Strange Skies'... worth googling.

But then again there's plenty of great ways to boost your immune system... try collostrum.

Or your inner god light of ultimate victory (you can feel it around the thymus) - if your into metaphysics.

well if that website doesn't scare the hell out of anyone...I don't know what will...I'm going to take it with a grain of salt though as ultimately I have no control over the skies...=/

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Yeah sly, It was a gut-twisting find for me too.

I wouldn't freak over it though. This is the kind of # we signed up for.

Knowing your soul is eternal brings you solace beyond sheeple any day.

Reality here is deconstructing and in 2 years you won't recognize this place

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I think it's fairly common iridescence. Circumhorizontal arcs are much more showy, and are usually not seen in clouds; you actually can see the arcs, with the iridescence where the arcs cross.
To counter the silly "chembow" theories, here is a study on why colors show in clouds. On the cause of iridescence in clouds

Colors in clouds has been a known phenomena for as long as people have noticed clouds. This paper was published in 1887, well before the Wrights first flew. It's hard to claim "chemclouds" when there is no way to get the "chem" up there.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

That first pic is awsome..Look surreal..

No idea what type of clouds though it looks like dawn..
Is that about right this time of year there?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
These are Iridescent Clouds, not Circumhorizon Arcs.

Iridescent Clouds: www.atoptics.co.uk...

Circumhorizon Arcs: www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Yea the first set were taken at dawn here which is roughly 7:20am I was actually on my way to work and decided to pull over and take some pics.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

Thanks, good find regarding the pre-flight age occurrence of this phenomena. I didn't think the description of the Arc phenomena fit too well with what I was seeing so thanks for the alternative answer!

new topics

top topics

join