It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The pro and cons of ginseng

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It seems ginseng can have an adverse reaction with some prescribed medication.

There have been trials at the University of Chicargo that show ginseng can dampen the effect of warfarin. Ginseng boosts the enzymes that breaks down warfarin, causing it to clear the body more rapidly. This is bad news for the many people suffering from heart problems that are taking warfarin.

They advised anyone taking both ginseng and warfarin to tell his or her doctor, and urged doctors to ask patients on warfarin if they were taking ginseng.

Link here news.bbc.co.uk...

Ginseng has also been found to cause foetal abnormalities in rats, so pregnant ladies are advised to to be cautious in the first trimester until more research is carried out, even though there is no evidence of human embryos being affected. Ginseng has been used to prevent morning sickness.

Link news.bbc.co.uk...

its not all bad news about ginseng.

An extract from the ginseng berry shows real promise in treating diabetes and obesity.

The berry contains ginsenoside Re, which has been found to be effective in correcting mulitiple metabolic abnormalities associated with diabetes.

The full article is here news.bbc.co.uk...

Its also possible ginseng may help to improve the memory of stroke patients suffering from dementia. However

But UK experts said the findings had to be treated with caution

Read this here news.bbc.co.uk...

A word of caution - a lot of stroke victims are prescribed warfarin. I guess it takes us back to the interaction between ginseng and warfarin.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
As a rule you have to be careful of some natural supplements because the science is very soft reguarding there interaction with some prescribed medication. Just use google people before you pop that pill

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Ive been taking Siberian Ginseng for almost 5 months now. The long-term effects are well worth it (unless you have a heart condition of course). I have clearer mental and even physical health, I have to tribute some of that success to it. I've made various Ginseng extracts using Korean and American Ginseng, but I still prefer Siberian

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I've been drinking some ginseng tea, but haven't seen anything unusual. I do like the idea that it helps with weight control.

Wafarin is a blood thinner, correct? That interaction would make sense if ginseng causes blood thinning.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
American ginseng root is the most powerful and effective that i have found. Many of the products purchased in the US do not contain American genseng root. Some products contain the top portion of the plant which contains only a fraction of the active chemistry.

I harvest my own from the wild. There is a huge difference in taking it fresh rather than store-bought.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
so what are the long term effects of taking Siberian Ginseng?

A word of warning about St Johns Wort thou, I had a near death experience having taken multivitamis with this potent anti depressant, & mixed with Avomine which I took for seasickness, was almost the last thing I ever did. Was truly a scary experience being paralysed, extremities in contraction, unable to walk or talk ( swolen tongue )....yet my brain was thinking perfectly clearly, which was what made the experience truly scary. I thought I was dead when I passed out on the floor of the deck.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
warfarin is marketed as coumadin, and some other brand names.

its wise to tell your doctor everything you might take- even if its pot or coc aine- because god only knows what will interact with what- well, god, and a good doctor.

notifying your doctor of what you take is the best thing you can do to prevent possibly fatal interactions.

new topics

top topics

join