It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with the AV8 Virus thing popping up on ATS pages?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

reply to post by SkepticOverlord

This is what I was thinking (About it having to be downloaded first.)

I have blockers galore (Ad-aware, Spybot, NOD) and the thing still slips past every now and then.

Glad to see it isn't ATS, and even if it was meh it isn't too hard to remove.

Oh, and thanks for the dual responses!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Also to add...

I've been running through a manual check of all ads that would appear on ATS via an unprotected PC that allows pop-up windows, and have yet to discover anything that would involve a payload or false-scan pop-up via our ad networks.

Thanks for checking into it.

My computer is not infected. I checked with full scans from McAfee and Norton and Malawarebytes - all say I'm clean. I don't think it infected me, although it may have tried.

I'm not saying it was definitely on an ATS page, only that the only time I ever saw it was when I was on the site and I think a few others may have also experienced the same thing.

Definitely odd, what ever the cause.

Thanks again.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Yes.. Staff please explain what this is/how it got here because apparently it got past my virus blocker and infected my pc.
Anyone know a good safe program I can use to keep this from happening again. Apparently the security program on my moms pc didnt stop it. What should I get to get rid of it and also keep it from happening again

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I just had this pop up while on ATS.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b86d8bf10e3a.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Here is more info on it en.wikipedia.org... seems like you have to format your hard drive and reinstall everything.

It says the malware can be downloaded by Flash and or Java without the user knowing about it and hides on the system until it creates a pop up that you have a 'virus.' It also hijacks your system so you can shut down or open up the task manager to stop it from running. Also it manages to escape detection from already installed virus scanners such as Norton and AVG.

Might want to consider dual booting with Linux since it doesn't get viruses. Linux is free and I would recommend Ubuntu since it's very easy to use.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join