It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left bows down to false WikiLeaks prophet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This article is using classic "sleight of hand" to deflect fence sitters from the real truth behind the Wikileaks release of the US Embassy cables. It even refers to a post from a contributor to Above Top Secret.

As millions of Christians give praise to the man-god they consider to be "the way and the truth and the life", so radicals, who are normally so sniffy about anything that looks or sounds like religion, are bending their collective knee to that "truth teller" Assange.

Link

The author is using selective quotes from fringe believers to paint all those who believe that truth revealed is for the common good with the same brush.

On AboveTopSecret.com, a cranky conspiracy theory site whose belief system is not a million miles away from WikiLeaks', a contributor wrote: "Just like Jesus of Nazareth, Julian Assange had a mission to reveal the truth. Now, just like Jesus, he faces persecution and/or death on false and trumped-up charges." The idiotic idolisation of Assange reveals a great deal about what passes for liberal-left politics today. It shows that the flipside to profound cynicism is an equally profound naivety. So in one breath Assange-backers indulge in the most bizarre breed of conspiratorial thinking, describing the West, and the US in particular, as a vast coven of wicked and faceless bureaucrats who act as puppeteers controlling politics and even our everyday lives from behind the scenes.

If this article does not make you feel worried - then nothing ever will.

edit on 20/12/2010 by deltaalphanovember because: edited for clarity to add: "with the same brush"

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
If this article does not make you feel worried - then nothing ever will.

Hyperbole at best. ATS a "cranky conspiracy site." Love it. I think the article is right on, myself. At least it shoiws not everyone is blindly following the WikiLeaks hero worship bandwagon. People who believe the release of a few cables with candid comments of junior diplomats have to be smoking something already.
edit on 12/20/2010 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Okay, I don't like your post title, because it makes it look like you're in agreement.

To say an entire side of the political dichotomy worships a man because one person compared him to jesus is absurd. Only idiots worship Assange -- the people who are actually THINKING consider his message, and the content of the releases.

Oh, hey, kind of like with Jesus.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

You may not like my post title - but according to the ATS T&C, I have to use the title of the article quoted. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

The very fact that the US reaction has been extreme, to say the least, proves to me that these cables from "junior diplomats" are the real deal and have hit a raw nerve.

Assange is not the messiah. He started a website to encourage whistle-blowers.That's all. I seriously doubt that even he had any suspicion the furore that this would cause.

At least he has the courage to stand by his convictions. I admire that. Not many of us would do the same under similiar circumstances.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I really fail to see how any religion can justify implying that it's adherents should not judge any man - or organization- for it's own merits. I don't like the idea of always 'looking for an antichrist' just personally.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I agree - to me the over-reaction from various parties lends credence to people calling it a smear campaign. In other words, entire article devoted to Julian Assange and his supporters, instead of entire articles devoted to the real issue - what most of us have suspected all along: the exact nature of our our corrupt governments exposed and laid bare, like lifting up a rotten log in the forest and exposing the maggots underneath.
We recoil in horror, but we don't lash out at the person who lifted the log.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
See, I told everyone Julian was the "new messiah"..Thank god ive never been a groupy of anyone famous.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Of course you belong to a group of famous people (or should I say infamous) - the good folk here aty ATS. Even mainstream media are quoting us. People are noticing us because most of us can now say "I told you so!"

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

No one is "worshipping" the man. Sure, there are a select few that see it as nothing but silly. I think they could get their points across without insulting/smearing other members.

That being said, I think the article was written by a covert member of ATS. Why else would anyone care about what we have to say?

Perhaps the OP is the person who wrote it?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Here is some information on the author:

Brendan O'Neill is a journalist based in London. He is currently the editor of Spiked Online.
He began his career at Spiked's predecessor, LM magazine, the journal of the Revolutionary Communist Party, which ceased publication after ITN won a libel action they brought against the magazine. O'Neill has contributed articles to publications in the United Kingdom and the United States including The Spectator, the New Statesman, The Guardian, BBC News Online, the Christian Science Monitor, The American Conservative, Salon.com,[1] and Rising East. He also blogs at Comment is free, part of the Guardian Unlimited site.

O'Neill has criticised the notion of tackling global warming by solely reducing carbon emissions, and instead advocates technological progress as a method of overcoming any side-effects of climate change.[2] In January 2006, he co-founded the Manifesto Club, an organisation "with the aim of challenging cultural trends that restrain and stifle people’s aspirations and initiative." He is writing a book about terrorism titled From Bosnia to Beslan: How the West Spread al-Qaeda.

Link

Here is some info about the credibility of this man and his publications:

The magazine was founded in 2000 after the bankruptcy of its predecessor, LM magazine, a magazine whose point of view has been described by The Guardian as "extreme corporate libertarianism" and by J. G. Ballard as "the most interesting and provocative magazine I have read for many years".[2] LM, an acronym for Living Marxism, closed after losing a libel case brought against it by the broadcasting corporation ITN. The case centered on LM featuring an article by Thomas Deichmann called 'The Picture that Fooled the World'[3] that alleged that the photographer who took the famous ITN picture of Bosnian Muslims behind a barbed-wire fence in a Bosnian Serb-run camp during the Yugoslav war gave the false impression that this was a Nazi-style concentration camp. Deichmann claimed that it was really the photographer who was in a fenced-in area and that it was a transit camp.

ITN won and the ensuing award and costs, estimated to be around £1 million, bankrupted LM and its publishers.[4]

Oooh ... interesting - look at the contributors:

features regular contributions from James Heartfield, Michael Fitzpatrick, Patrick West, Rob Lyons, Nathalie Rothschild, Tim Black, Duleep Allirajah, and Frank Furedi.

Link 2

Apologies for the Wikipedia links.

new topics

top topics

join