It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biologist Convinced Sasquatch Legend Genuine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Had to share this because, as small as it is, it is very significant for the sasquatch community.

A respected scientist standing up and saying this is absolutely possible and we need people to not be mocked for saying so. I am happy to see him taking appropriate steps to insure peoples confidence by reporting such encounters with Bigfoot as I am sure many people are scared of ridicule.

Awesome man, awesome story and I am happy we are headed in the right direction.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
A little extra info on Bindernagel, just in case people do not know he credentials.

en.wikipedia.org...

John A. Bindernagel (b. 1941) is a wildlife biologist who has sought evidence for Bigfoot since 1963[1][2]. He published a book in 1998 entitled North America's Great Ape: the Sasquatch (ISBN 0-9682887-0-7).[3]

Bindernagel grew up in Ontario, attended the University of Guelph,[4] and received a PhD from the University of Wisconsin–Madison.[5] He moved to British Columbia in 1975[6] largely because the region was a hot spot for Bigfoot sightings.[4] Over the years, he has collected casts of tracks that he believes belongs to Bigfoot. He also claims to have heard the creature near Comox Lake in 1992, comparing its whooping sound to that of a chimpanzee.[7] Bindernagel believes that the Bigfoot phenomena should receive more attention from serious scientists, but has remarked, "The evidence doesn't get scrutinized objectively. We can't bring the evidence to our colleagues because it's perceived as tabloid."[8]

So this guy is completely legit and thinks that we have made the idea of Bigfoot taboo.

Real scientific research needs to go into looking for this close relative of human beings, and no scientific research should be frowned upon or put into the category of taboo. That restricts the process of discovery and does nothing but retard learning process.

Just 100 years ago, Gorillas were though of the same way as we look at Bigfoot now.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Ya anytime Bigfoot is brought up in a discussion around normal people it gets trolled. Happy to see a biologist come out and support denying ignorance!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well,this is not news at all.

Hundreds of years of regular folks and natives talking about and witnessing these creatures and NOW a guy who has a degree says the same damn thing!

Sasquatch is a Canadian native peoples term.

It is not a description of a individual creature.

It was originally used to describe a whole tribe of these creatures that lived up along the Hudson Bay area in an area that is now Algonquin Provincial Park.

The natives saw them as people just like themselves,just hairy and seriously unfriendly.

In 1780 there was a huge prolonged forest fire in this area.

It is believe that many Sasquatch died and the survivors traveled away from their native tribal land since the fire had destroyed their habitat.

The natives even told the French trappers and explorers about the survivors coming to their villages and having singed hair and suffering from smoke inhalation.

Native peoples always speak of these creatures as their brothers never as animals but equals.

www.bigfootencounters.com...

www.bfro.net...

This is a map of every sighting.

penn.freeservers.com...
edit on 20-12-2010 by Oneolddude because: (no reason given)

Historical accounts.
mcclean.org...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

I agree, but rather than it just being a myth and a legend and hear say, this lends scientific credibility to the argument of Bigfoot.

This is a big step in the right direction.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Just 100 years ago, Gorillas were though of the same way as we look at Bigfoot now.

Pred...

The main issue regarding this is that 100 years ago there existed only a slight fraction of the technologies we have today (that is to say, almost none at all). I think it would be incredibly interesting for a large hominid to exist in the North American continent, but I think that the more time passes the less likely it is.

My wife and I live in New Orleans for medical school right now, but we've lived in Colorado for the past 13 years. We've hiked and camped extensively in the Rocky Mountains and also up in the Pacific northwest wilderness (US and Canada). I fully understand how expansive the backcountry can be and how incredibly difficult the task of finding something in a region like that. However, I have friends who've worked for years tracking elusive animals like wolves and we've talked about why a bigfoot has never actually been found. With our currently ability to track and model outcomes it just seems like we'd have found something by now.

Again, it would be highly interesting if a discovery were made; I'm just relatively skeptical. I do, on one hand think it's sad that the subject became taboo. On the other hand the conspiracy community doesn't exactly inspire confidence and its ties to the subject have hindered efforts I'm sure.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
One thing fur sure is that these "Monkey men things" have sure sold alot of books and TV commercials.

Lots of more books and shows still to come.

Plus a zillion web sites...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
What? I didn't know it was even thinkable to deny sasquatch. Not being a part of the Bigfoot community I've never really been in any debates, I just always thought it was common knowledge that a creature like sasquatch has to exist... looks like I found myself some more ignorance to deny.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
A respected scientist standing up and saying this is absolutely possible and we need people to not be mocked for saying so.

I wouldn't exactly call a 69 year old biologist with only 7 publications for a "respected scientist". Scientist yes, but one that hasn't done any scientifically significant work in 38 years.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The more technologically advanced we get, the less likely it is that a Sasquatch like creature exists. I'm not saying never, ever, but I would say it is very possible that this species was on the verge of extinction long ago and has since become extinct. Too many capabilities for infrared equiped airplanes to have never been able to locate one officially.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Scientists are finding new species in remote parts of the world seemingly regularly the past few years and yet not one expedition has found this elusive creature. Seems a rather strange coincidence.

I'm not denying or accepting it just yet, just find it odd nothing;s been found after so many sightings.

new topics

top topics

join