It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barbour doesn’t recall civil rights era being ‘that bad’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Barbour doesn’t recall civil rights era being ‘that bad’

"I just don't remember it as being that bad," Barbour, who was in high school at the time, tells Ferguson. "I remember Martin Luther King came to town, in '62. He spoke out at the old fairgrounds and it was full of people, black and white."

Asked why Yazoo City was more peaceful than other parts of the South, Barbour offers credit to the Citizens Council, a controversial group that has been likened by its critics to the Ku Klux Klan. But Barbour says this critique is unfair and that the group actually cracked down on the KKK.

But Think Progress's Matthew Yglesias suggests Barbour is presenting a revisionist history on race, noting that historians have described the Citizens Council as a racist organization that also worked to intimidate people who signed on to NAACP petitions at the time. A Barbour spokesman defended Barbour's comments, telling TPMDC's Eric Kleefeld that Barbour was addressing "the business community in Yazoo City" and was not talking about the group's history as a movement.

Link to Full Article

Just more rose colored revisionist history. More 'code-speak' for terms like: "The America I grew up in" meaning a segregated America. As the old saying goes, "Where there's smoke, there's fire."

The same guy who didn't think the Gulf Oil spill was so bad. Yikes.

edit on 20-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: added content

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I was once thrown out of a history class in college a few years ago because my teacher was a black conservative who was talking about how much better it was in the civil rights era as compared to now in regards to Gay Rights and the amount of progressive progression in the country. After a few minutes of his idiotic rhetoric I raised my hand and suggested he get in a time machine and go eat at a 1950s southern lunch counter if he thought that era was so good.

But does this guy even matter or is he just another small cracker in the corrupt machine?
edit on 20-12-2010 by JoeMaine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeMaine
But does this guy even matter or is he just another small cracker in the corrupt machine?
edit on 20-12-2010 by JoeMaine because: (no reason given)

Well as Governor of Mississippi, it is speculated that he has presidential ambitions and may run in 2012.

A premium saltine if you ask me.

Lest we forget what happened in Mississippi in 1964:

On June 21, 1964, three young civil rights workers—a 21-year-old black Mississippian, James Chaney, and two white New Yorkers, Andrew Goodman, 20, and Michael Schwerner, 24—were murdered near Philadelphia, in Nashoba County, Mississippi. They had been working to register black voters in Mississippi during Freedom Summer and had gone to investigate the burning of a black church. They were arrested by the police on trumped-up charges, imprisoned for several hours, and then released after dark into the hands of the Ku Klux Klan, who beat and murdered them. It was later proven in court that a conspiracy existed between members of Neshoba County's law enforcement and the Ku Klux Klan to kill them.

Source

No that bad?

edit on 20-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: added content

edit on 20-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Yes I've heard the lala stories from many folks. The america "I grew up in". Yep there America with 70% taxes on the wealthy and segregated minorities. Whats more interesting, there are still people who have the nerve to still oppose the civil rights act of 1964 and insist it has absolutely no racial agenda behind it. Ofcourse they'd claim its because of affirmative action, but that was signed into a law a year after the 1964 civil rights act, in 1965, so it doesn't hang well with me.

I think I hold that little bit more respect for an outright racist as opposed to one that is in complete denial.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
+++++++++++++++++++++ UPDATE +++++++++++++++++++++

Barbour defends comments on race, but is the damage done to his potential 2012 bid?

To make matters worse, Politico's Ben Smith dug up a quote from a Barbour profile in the New York Times from 1982 in which Barbour warned an aide about making racist remarks with a questionable statement of his own. According to the Times, Barbour "warned that if the aide persisted in racist remarks, he would be reincarnated as a watermelon and placed at the mercy of blacks."

SOURCE

I hate to quote my self but..."Where there's smoke, there's fire."

Karma is a boomerang!

edit on 21-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: fix typos

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Wow, with the exception of my multiple posts (echo chamber) the silence on this topic is deafening. Before this thread dies an unpopular death on the ATS vine I'd just like to add that I find it interesting that none of the famous GOP slanted posters renounce his comments. I suppose there is no refuting the fact that he is a closet bigot like most of his Republican brethren. He exposed his true stripes and hopefully his chances for a Presidential run go down in flames.

Touché.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Before this thread dies an unpopular death on the ATS vine I'd just like to add that I find it interesting that none of the famous GOP slanted posters renounce his comments.

Did you know that Obama is yet to present his long form birth certificate to certificate he is american born? Never mind the last 43 white presidents.

It ain't the whitehouse for nuthin'.

top topics

join