It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"INTEL - Kill Switch Inside"...Your Computer.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

blacklistednews.com

Intel is preparing to launch its Sandy Bridge processors at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January. The most interesting thing about these new processors is the kill switches that are built into them.

Sandy Bridge is the code name for Intel’s processor configuration and it is the successor to Nehalem.

According to an ITBusiness.ca article, David Allen, director of distribution sales, North America at Intel said that although Sandy Bridge is now shipping to Intel's distribution and equipment partners, Intel Premier partners are the only ones that can purchase it before the gene
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Instead of internet censorship now we can be put offline with a flick of a switch...Instantly. Lets say that the poster in the 911 forum has just posted photos showing actual proof of ?? then all of a sudden, they are gone. No more internet and no more computer. But it makes one think that if they manufacture a kill switch inside of computers what else are they capable of doing or already have in place. That we just do not know yet?

Probably more than many know.

blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Wow you would have to be an idiot to buy a computer that can be remotely killed... Unless of course if they were the only ones for sale, I can see that happenning...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The kill switch you guys are talking about is anti-theft technology. Customers can disable access to their stolen laptop, smart phone, whatever. As someone who had my laptop stolen in a foreign country I wish that I had that technology back then. Now my computers are loaded with GPS trackers and program password locks.
edit on 20-12-2010 by zerotime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Further comments also available here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

Thats all well and good but remember it is far cheaper to just replace the hard drive than to purchase a new laptop and then software locks mean nothing. You can password protect whatever software you want a new hard drive can be had for 100 bucks.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Anti theft. Perhaps only the reason "they" state such a device is needed at all. But the question of putting them into the mass market, is another story in itself. Personally, I worry more about On Star than this. But this is just another piece of "control the masses" puzzle coming into focus.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
And the non fear mongering side.

There's nothing worse than the thought of someone stealing your laptop, other than that person kicking up their feet while they browse through your digital life. Now Ericsson and Intel are developing a solution.

The two companies are working on a remote kill switch for laptops. Loaded with both HSPA and GPS, the laptop can be SMS disabled and globally located in the case it is stolen. A disabled laptop cannot be booted while third party software can handle aspects of extra data encryption as well.

gizmodo.com...

As soon as the first person gets shutdown when they didn't authorize it these companies will be sued.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

And the realistic side...

It used to be that Big Brother operated covertly and its spy devices were secretly installed so that public didn’t get worked up into a furious rage. Well they operate in the open now, and another major corporation is making it easier for the political elite to set up one big surveillance state.
Source

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Why did you just repost the op?

If this was what you say then all new chips would have this surely? tptb are slipping if they think we can't choose what we buy.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

I like when folk use the term "fear mongering" because in the majority of instances those folks who use such, are the sheeple that make surveillance state a reality. Our nation IS and continues to move towards such a state of control. One incident of the right mix will send the US into such and those who sit back with their non nonchalant attitude about such things will be the first to go.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelee

This is a duplicate thread.

Original thread here:

Intel to introduce processor with remote kill switch

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Re-post the op?? I used a quote from it and sourced it. Nothing wrong there.

If the manufactures install this gizmo into the mass computers such as laptops and PCs then it makes it's way into smart phones and the like, what do you think the PTB will opt to utilize it for? To help find lil' Bobby's stolen Apple?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Crap!! I DID use the search feature.

SORRY.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

You use one source to back up your opinion of why this is being introduced why not post what the original idea behind it was.

Speaking to IT Business, Allen explained that corporate IT departments could configure Sandy Bridge-based laptops to be deactivated on demand, providing a remote 'kill-switch' that enables lost or stolen laptops to be rendered useless remotely.

While the technology is simply an enhancement of anti-theft technologies already available on some corporate Intel platforms, it's an indication that Intel may be targeting Sandy Bridge at large corporations. Sadly, however, there are currently no signs of the technology appearing at the consumer level, where it could mimick Apple's Mobile Me remote management technology on its iPhone and iPad devices.

www.bit-tech.net...

edit on 20-12-2010 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

I've had problems with the search feature too, so I understand.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Sony spent millions on developing non-copyable CD's and proudly announced it everywhere, the morning it came out a guy used a .99 cents marker, laughed at Sony and copied the CD in less than 10 minutes... Sony got mad and spent a couple more millions and came out with DRM and thought they were safe... another guy came up cut a piece of scotch tape and bypassed DRM and said a big FU to Sony...

Now CPU locking up technology... HA!!!! this is like a dream come true for guys like me that love finding ways around security for its intellectual properties of the challenge it involves... But think about malicious people, I give it 3-6 months MAX and you'll see a new wave of attacks/fishing...

There's already trojan virii out there that mod your boot sector (MBR) and lock you out of your computer and force you to pay a certain amount to regain access to your PC via credit card and such... Can you imagine having the possibility of locking up the machine itself... GAWD had I any malicious intentions I would have a huge woody right now...

Imagine a virus that use a zero-day exploit to propagate itself, within a week even before anyone would have the time to realize what happen hundreds of thousands of machine would be shutdown... This is going to be hilarious... If anyone has shares with Intel NOW might be a good time to sell...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to the existing thread on this here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed...

Springer...

top topics

join