It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Statistics from Gallup on Evolution & Creation Beliefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
No matter what side you are on these are some interesting Stats.

The Huffington Post

A mere 16 percent of respondents subscribed to the belief of "secular evolution": that humans have evolved with no divine guidance. However, this number has nearly doubled from nine percent of respondents in a poll from 1982.

Gallup

There has been little change over the years in the percentage holding the "theistic evolution" view that humans evolved under God's guidance.

Most Americans believe in God, and about 85% have a religious identity. It is not surprising as a result to find that about 8 in 10 Americans hold a view of human origins that involves actions by God -- that he either created humans as depicted in the book of Genesis, or guided a process of evolution.

40% of Americans continue to hold to an anti-evolutionary belief about the origin of humans

edit on 20-12-2010 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

This is such a compelling indictment of the American education system. There is no good reason for 40% of Americans to utterly reject evolutionary biology.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think the reason for small acceptance of evolution in the US compared to the rest of the world is that belief in god is strongly associated with creationism, and evolution is associated with atheism. This is not true in other countries, where theistic evolutionists are a majority, so evolution is not seen as anything against god.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
-snipped to add to main discussion-
edit on 20-12-2010 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

This is such a compelling indictment of the American education system. There is no good reason for 40% of Americans to utterly reject evolutionary biology.

This is a positive though. Only 16% polled believe in secular evolution, but that's nearly double what it was 28 years ago. Another 38% believe in Evolution as part of God's plan. That's over 50% who believe in evolution in some form. Meanwhile, those who do not believe in evolution and believe that God created man in his image 10,000 years ago is down to 40%, the lowest it has been since they started these polls. It looks to me like things are moving in a good direction, I am meeting more and more people around my age and younger who believe in evolution and are more embracing of science.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
At least things are improving.

With regards to the US debate of the teaching of evolution in schools: I am in the UK, my education involved Religious Education classes that taught us about different religions and cultures, including their beliefs of human development and Science classes that involve the Big Bang and evolutionary theory. We were always told to look at the evidence and make up our minds on what to believe but remember the facts about each for exams.

I really don't understand the debate in the US education system concerning the teaching of evolution along side that of biblical studies.

new topics

top topics

join