It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2011

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

your welcome .

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I got a bit behind on Hierro due to following the strong Turkey and Peru quakes this last week, just had a look at IGN, seems activity is getting intense again, numbers are back up into the 40s,50s and 60s per day, magnitudes are bigger, quakes are deeper and mostly to the NW of Frontera under the bay
www.ign.es...
IGN have improved their maps a bit, breaking them down into 3 days, 10 days and total since 19072011
www.ign.es...

either that or I didn't notice before

perhaps the eruption threat is over

edit on 29-10-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-10-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

www.spiegel.de...

and the source ( of all evil)

here are some stunning pics of the underwater eruption

enjoy them ...

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Brilliant

And we watched it happen, well digitally anyway

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
A new eruption at El Hierro could be immenent.
Everything on the CHIE graph IGN pointing to it now.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Nobody is paying any attention.

I don't understand.
They have had a 4.0 and a 4.3 mag.
All the islands are showing signs of deformation and harmonic tremors.
The islands apart from el hierro are sinking, whereas el hierro is rising on one side.
Yet they refuse to evacuate, close tunnels etc, because of tourism.
This could go on for weeks, admittedly.. it might fizzle out.. but the longer it goes on, the worse it's COULD get.
They've studied emissions from the underwater eruption (fart) earlier, and found Rhyolite (rocks?).
I've lost the original source this info came from (a spanish forum, with a thread for the worried residents) sorry.
There are other forums and places on the internet where people are taking this seriously, perhaps a little bit more panicky than they should, but still paying attention to it.
Shouldn't we?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Here is a recent spectrum of the siesmo at El Hierro:

As you can see, it's getting pretty close to maximum saturation often on the graph with the waveform:

This is nearly 24 hours of activity.

There is activity at other stations as well in the island chain. Here are the spectrum and waveform for EOSO:

This stations is nothing like the same scale of el hierro, but it is clear that something is going on as well.

Select the "Waveform" link on this page and you can check the spectra and waveform of the entire network in the Canary Islands and see that there is at least some activity at all of the stations. The stations closest to but not actually on El Hierro would possibly be showing some of the activity there too, so keep that in mind. I'm sure some of our resident seismo watchers could shed some light on these graphs.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deplume
This could go on for weeks, admittedly.. it might fizzle out.. but the longer it goes on, the worse it's COULD get.
They've studied emissions from the underwater eruption (fart) earlier, and found Rhyolite (rocks?).
I've lost the original source this info came from (a spanish forum, with a thread for the worried residents) sorry.

A rhyolitic explosion could be scary. It is an extremely viscous magma, with a high silica content (similar to granite--if it were to slowly cool underground and at depth). If the volcano has low amounts of gases, the rhyolite would probably just form a lava dome or obsidian flow. But if it has copious amounts of gas in the magma--a violent eruption is likely.
Here is a Link to read more about different types of magma.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Too bad we cant see a time lapsed video of the underwater plume advancement.
would be cool

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I wish I could link you to what the resident said, but I can't find the forum I was on. It was a link on one of the canarian news websites. I've searched my recent history and found nothing, but I did save some of what she posted;

He has been studying the events in the island of Hierro since the beginning. Also he found rock of rhyolitic origin from piroclastics rock at La Restinga. But all his theories and warnings were ignored by the rest of volcanologists. He is still continues his investigations in the background.

I think El Hierro may have a few surprises. I just hope the people in charge their pulls their heads out of their asses and evacuate.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Homes have been evacuated and roads closed on the southern-most Canary Island following a government-issued warning about a possible volcanic eruption. The southern tip of El Hierro was shaken by a 4.3-magnitude quake late on Saturday as an underwater volcano just off the coast started spewing matter some 60ft into the air. The island, which has 500 volcanic cones, has experienced more than 10,000 tremors in the past four months. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... xVa

Text

recent update

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

Is it my layman's ignorance . . . or . . .

is the migration of the cluster of quakes Northwards a bit concerning?

i.e. with the new volcano growing underwater on the South . . . and the quake cluster moving North . . . it seems to me that the whole area in between is at least a little more somewhat . . . softened up? Vulnerable?

i.e. the whole middle West of the island COULD have some interesting goings on evolve???

i.e. isn't it 'possible' that a much larger volcano could open up roughly in the middle West of the island blowing the whole thing sky-West and crooked???

I guess I have a bias that in this era . . . things ARE going to get MORE dramatic, not less.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deplume
reply to post by Olivine

Also he found rock of rhyolitic origin from piroclastics rock at La Restinga.

I think El Hierro may have a few surprises.

Can someone with more knowledge than I about such things elaborate on why that is particularly noteworthy?

It sounds like that is an indication of a more substantial erruption . . . at least potentially???

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The eruption at El Hierro continues
latest update from earthquake-report.com

Raymond writes :
The explosions are following one another every 10 to 15 minutes … Large clouds of gas, steam and pyroclastic products. Magma is being ekected and with with the night falling, we start to see the redness … The ciprissoid jet can be seen with almost each explosion …

picture taken out of an helicopter from the Guardia Civil and Involcan yesterday

edit on 8-11-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-11-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

What we got going down here MA friends is brand spanking new land forming which by the way things are looking now will sooner or later make this island much bigger then it was ....

for now lets sit back, google what we can and enjoy the awesomeness of MAMMA NATURE AT HER BEST ....

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I'm sure some of our resident seismo watchers could shed some light on these graphs.

Looks like the Atlantic to me, other than El Hierro of course. Yup MACI is showing microseisms. MACI.IU..HHZ.2011.314

On another note, as requested here are two Turkey maps. Mag 2+ and Mag4+

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
hereis some awesome video footage of the undersea volcano by skynews...

news.sky.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

some more stunning pics enjoy
edit on 10/11/11 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

great stuff

they say just 70 metres from the surface, that isn't much further to go. next few days....... maybe?

will be a sight to see thats for sure

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy

great stuff

they say just 70 metres from the surface, that isn't much further to go. next few days....... maybe?

will be a sight to see thats for sure

believe me im looking forward to it .. just think about it the birth of a whole new island happening right before our eyes . its awesome .. it really is .... thats the whole reason behind my two hobbies ...

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41 >>

join