It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2011

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Thats not the only thing. Me thinks those Mass-Die-Offs that happened (and probably are still happening) could be because of increased Volcanic Activity in the Oceans,or at least more release of Gas which suffocates the Marine Life...after which it gets up into the Atmosphere (and the Jet-Stream) and ends up poisoning Birds.

Sadly,there is no way to know whats going on down there...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
After looking trough that Website,i found some really,really awesome Images. I´m only gonna post the one that is the most pretty in my Opinion. I really sugesst anyone who is interested in Volcanoes (or Nature for that matter) to take a look.

earthobservatory.nasa.gov

This one is from Chile’s "Puyehue-Cordón Caulle",taken on June 11,2011 (Bigger Pictures can be downloaded on the Link provided)

Just awesome

edit on 26-6-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
www.kitv.com...

www.usgs.gov...

www.10news.com...

edit on 27-6-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I´m just gonna post Updates for now if i see something which could be interesting for our recent "Experts"

Huge rock avalanches rumble down Mount Rainier

Though impressive to bystanders high on the mountain, the rockfalls and the muddy flows they spawned don't pose danger to park visitors or people living downstream by the Nisqually River, said Jim Vallance, a volcanologist at the U.S. Geological Survey's Cascades Volcano Observatory.

Mount Rainier has unleashed massive mudslides, or lahars, in the past. But the current avalanches are tiny by comparison. Nor is there any hint of volcanic activity, which would be required to trigger a lahar from Rainier's south side, Vallance said.

Rangers are advising climbers to avoid the Nisqually Glacier, which is not a common route up the mountain.

It's not clear why the avalanches are so large and frequent this year, Lofgren said. It could be related to heavy snowfall, followed by warmer weather — or something else altogether.

"This is just what happens on mountains," he said.

Ocean Currents Speed Melting of Antarctic Ice: A Major Glacier Is Undermined from Below

ScienceDaily (June 27, 2011) — Stronger ocean currents beneath West Antarctica's Pine Island Glacier Ice Shelf are eroding the ice from below, speeding the melting of the glacier as a whole, according to a new study in Nature Geoscience. A growing cavity beneath the ice shelf has allowed more warm water to melt the ice, the researchers say -- a process that feeds back into the ongoing rise in global sea levels. The glacier is currently sliding into the sea at a clip of four kilometers (2.5 miles) a year, while its ice shelf is melting at about 80 cubic kilometers a year -- 50 percent faster than it was in the early 1990s -- the paper estimates.

I´m not so sure about that one though. It could also mean that there are Volcanoe Vents under the Ice opening up...here is a Video explaining a bit about this beeing a possibility...take it with a grain of Salt though.

edit on 29-6-2011 by Shenon because: spellllling

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Wow! Check this out

Staring down an active volcano’s throat - NABRO

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Little Update on the (ever) ongoing Activity on Hawaii

Volcano Watch: Perched lava lake rising higher in Pu‘u ‘O‘o crater

(...) The rise of the lava lake and infilling of the crater is setting the stage for interesting times ahead. In the coming weeks to months, it seems likely that lava will fill Pu‘u ‘O‘o to overflowing, unless yet another collapse of the crater floor occurs as the supply of magma to Pu‘u ‘O‘o central vents is interrupted. Such interruptions could be caused, for example, by the opening of new vents on the flanks of Pu‘u ‘O‘o, or by the opening of a new eruptive fissure, like the Kamoamoa fissure, uprift or downrift from Pu‘u ‘O‘o.

The current activity is very similar to that occurring prior to the Kamoamoa eruption in March. The culmination of the present slow-filling of Pu‘u ‘O‘o remains unwritten, but either scenario—collapse and a new outbreak or overflows—will be interesting. Visit the Pu‘u ‘O‘o webcam to watch the unfolding activity (volcanoes.usgs.gov...).

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Just saw this on German News. First Google Link:

Volcano erupts in Indonesia

JAKARTA, July 3 (Xinhua) -- A volcano in North Sulawesi province of central Indonesia erupted earlier Sunday, but there is no evacuation, head of the country's volcanology agency named only Surono said here.

Mount Soputan located some 60 km from Manado, capital of the province, started a small eruption at around 02:00 a.m. local time Sunday, spewing over 1,000-meter high hot ash, then it was followed by a big eruption at 06:03 a.m. local time by spewing over 6,000 meters high ash, the head of the agency told Xinhua by phone.

The agency has declared a dangerous zone with a radius of 6.5 kilometers, said Surono.

"So far, there is no evacuation because the closest area where people live is about 8 kilometers from the mount," he said.

This is an active Volcano,so nothing unusual it seems.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up; first thing I checked when I came on line today!

Soputan is active, but last big eruption was in 1924, from time to time like in 2008 there are small lava flows and some ash but nothing like this explosive eruption.

We have a resort 53 km from this volcano; sold all shares to management team Simon & Mike last year.
One of the best micro diving sites of the world; very unique marine creatures. Look at the web.
Simon is a world famous marine photographer.
www.nad-lembeh.com...

edit on 4/7/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Found this article regarding volcanos in Australia being overdue for eruptions.

Scientists are now warning that volcanoes in Western Victoria and South Australia are due to erupt.

The prediction comes just hours after two earthquakes hit the state this morning.

As much as man would like to believe and claim that we know everything, the fact of the matter is, it is mother nature who is truly in control.

It comes as Victorians are warned to brace themselves for more tremors after a shallow magnitude quake hit at 11.32am, sending shockwaves through towns and suburbs more than 100 kilometres away.

And even more disheartening...

Seismologist Adam Pascale told 7News it was the largest quake recorded in the area in the past two years, and warned there is potential for stronger tremors.

"It's significant for Australia, particularly because it was so close to an urban area," he said.

"There's potential for larger events in this sequence.

"We have had a 4.5 in the past, this is a 4, but we could have larger again. There's no way of predicting what the magnitude could be."

Source - AU Yahoo News - Warning Of Volcanic Eruptions

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

We have a Breach.

Me.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...
edit on 5-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

This ones better.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Geez Bob! Where is that?????????????????

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Where is that?
No info in your post

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Its a Live Panorama of Puʻu ʻŌʻō Cone, Kīlauea Volcano.
Wow!!

Link

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67faa9dc8b2b.jpg[/atsimg]

All done.

Me.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Nothing.

I got better photos last night, the left side had a HUGE breach and covered the entire floor with hot, yummy lava...mmmm lava.

I'll post the photos when home.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Just thought you folk might be interested in these relief maps. There is a drop down list of volcanoes you can got to.

This link takes you to Dukono

Zoom out just one click and you get an excellent relief map of the area.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/845b10e57d44.png[/atsimg]

edit on 5/7/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Edit to add: I did not see this until after I screenshotted the map. There is a cool snapshot button. Click it and then highlight the area you want to save.

edit on 5/7/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

You home yet?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Am now.

Glorious is it not?
edit on 5-7-2011 by Foxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

wow
So it seems too breach and heal? ,, wow,,or are those the horizontal ,, caldren,, low points? where the breaches occured,,,, curious.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Its ever filling, that black floor slowly gets higher and higher if it doesn't collapse.

Think of it this way...magma is beneath boiling up, as it spills over the edges it makes more and more floor. Eventually as it spills it cools, so a new, higher "rim" is added to the wall. Eventually that rim is over-flowed, things cool, and another layer, higher, added. Eventually it levels up with the surface and flows out into the wild... UNLESS...

A rift ELSEWHERE opens up...and then sudden pressure release! The supporting magma drains out, the "floor" of dried lava has no support...and it easily could collapse in, restarting the whole process, diverting the flow elsewhere, etc etc. This is a "vent" from the main volcano. I believe. If I read right.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join