It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Ridiculous Things You Probably Believe About Islam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

My apologies! I didn't mean to suggest you said such a thing, and I realised my post came out that way too, but by then it was too late to change that.

Here is a wikipedia list of "notable" airplane hijackings. I know it is not complete, but it should give a general idea. It lists 79, from 1959 to the present, of which I'd count maybe 11 could be considered done by "muslim extremists" (8 if you count all that happened on September 11th as 1)..
If you were to count ALL the hijackings done by "muslims", of course, the number would be higher, but in most cases, it wasn't muslim extremists, and their reasons were political rather than religious, like some that happened in India over Kashmir, or some that happened by Palestinians over Israel (although I counted the ones done by extremist muslim Palestinian groups, not all the groups who did hijackings were extremist muslim groups (for example, the Abu Nidal group, which was secularist), and there are even a couple of muslim hijackers who hijacked so as to be able to escape to another country to seek asylum!

edit on 7-1-2011 by babloyi because: Added the link

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

As for the burqas, I do not believe the 367 number. There are at least 50 here on the campus of FSU

If you are talking about Florida State University in Gainesville, oops, I mean Tealla hassie, then there is a "cultural" reason for this not related to Islam.

The Arab culture emphasizes whiter-toned skin, especially among females, whenever possible. Thus, with the high UV indexes in your mostly tropical area of the world, the ladies may be covering to protect their skin from becoming darker....

If you aren't referring to FSU as the Florida State University, my advance apologies...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

I am referring to Florida State University in Tallahassee (definitely not Gainesville!!), and THANK YOU! I had no idea. That is great information. I just thought it was the religious reason, I didn't realize there was also a desire to remain fair-skinned.

Thanks again! I will now have a new feather in my cap when this topic of conversation comes up again here in my town!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

You are welcome.

I have personal experience with this topic. I got married to an Arab (non-muslim) 10 years ago in Hilton Head Island, SC...

I was on the beach for a week prior with my friends and family (not the extended family) working on my tan and getting my hair blonder for the ceremony.

Well, my new family turned out to be "paler" than me, and mentioned to my husband, why on earth do these Americans want to be tan...they should want to keep themselves as "white" as possible...

The fact is that I love the water and sun...I guess I will be paying for it soon enough with all that damage as I naturally have fair skin....

edit on 7-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join