It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom Accused Of Being Grinch: Returns Shop With A Cop Merchandise For Cash

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Isn't this programme designed to buy presents for children ?

If she has taken those presents from her children and sold them on for her own benefit, then I think that is quite clearly theft by deception, as the programme is designed for the benefit of the children, not the parents.

While I'm not going to be too judgemental about the mother, as I have no idea of her personal circumstances, I think that, on the face of it, it seems quite cruel and callous of her to exploit this programme, especially as the children went out with the policeman and picked the presents themselves.

You say that there's no report of any legally binding contract that prohibits her from selling on these presents, but the only articles I can find reporting this case are only a few paragraphs long, so an absence of a legally binding contract being reported does not mean that it doesn't exist.

Either way, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see whether there's any more relevant details in this case reported at a later date.

edit on 20-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

there is to much condemning going on as well. maybes keep optimism.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The money was spent period. It makes no difference if the items were returned, this is not theft by deception. It is shop with a cop and go to jail deception.

No crime was commited, it is a disgrace. Those poor kids are now motherless because some cop got his ego bruised.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I am DISGUSTED but NOT surprised that an innocent gift giving event turned into Jack Boot Nation for this poor mother and her family. She should NEVER have trusted these cops, and now, we have a family TORN apart because some control freak jack boot got his little feelings hurt and raged because this mother DARED take her GIFTS and do what she pleased with them

She should have never trusted the cop? Really?

How about the cop should have never trusted her??

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

Just so we can see where you are coming from:

Are you now, or have you ever been on any form of social assistance program?

Food stamps? Tanf? Rent subsidies?
Are you serious? The topic is a rogue out of control cop and a poor family who was ripped apart because of this cop. Not about me. Do you have anything to say about the TOPIC or are you just here to try and troll me personally?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Sorry, HBT - but your opinion that her actions should not be a crime, doesn't necessarily mean that is true. She was arrested and charged. If that is the case then there is a crime for which that charge is based, somewhere on the books.

Whether it should have been an arrest-able offense, 'meh - she took her chances when she deceived a charitable program involving the cops. Whether the charge holds is another thing altogether and as I've repeatedly said, we have to wait and see what comes next.

Your outrage is at only one side of the coin, you need to also look at the other side of the coin... there are consequences for our actions, always. She took her chance and lost this round...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

Back on topic.

also

discuss this in a civil manner please.

Happy Holidays.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder

I think it depends on what she spent the money on, if she's paying a bill or rent is one thing but if she's down the street on a bar stool is another. What some don't understand is the desperation of a lot our citizens, when your behind which it sounds like she is toys are not the priority, even if she's getting help it's probably not enough. I wonder what she did with the money?

I wonder that also, but technically, a gift is a gift a gift. Once given, the person who gets the gift can do whatever they want with it, period. To be jailed for not commiting a crime is disgusting.

Also, as a parent, I have 100 percent control over what happens to all the belongings in my household, mine and my children's.

I don't care what she spent it on, because bottom line is, this cop got angry and abused his authority and ripped apart a family right at Xmas time. That is NOT acceptable, and what a dirty hypocrit he is, participating in a program to help kids and he goes and tuins these childrens lives.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I think taking her to jail is a little ridiculous, she should have just got a nice big public humiliation on the local news and then maybe someone donate presents to her kids that are opened and cannot be taken back.

However, I think she is pretty appalling, and as a good parent she wouldn't be able to strip her kids of that joy for anything. If she needed money (less than 300 bucks) that badly, she could have worked it out some other way.

Also.. as a fellow Kentuckian, you know I have to ask, what are they odds this woman was blowing this money on pills? You and I both know it is a serious problem here.

The woman is absolutely in the wrong. It is theft by deception if it was the cop's own personal money he was buying the gifts for the children not her, you can't take back a gift, not even suing, and you can't take your kids gifts. The program was designed to buy toys. Can we get a follow up? Did anyone make sure these kids got gifts because now they should more than ever after being given them and then having them taken away.

edit on 20-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I see no deceipt except on the part of the cops. When I get a gift it becomes mine, and that is how the law is written. Also, I live around here, and we have some very dirty cops around here. I am firmly on the mother's side, and hope she gets a good attorney, becaus no one deserves jail for returning gifts. No crime was commited. How do arrive at a theft by deception, anyway, if I might ask? Where is the deceit? She accepted gifts, no deceit. She returned them, no deceit. Once a gift is given, thats it its all voer for the gift giver.

I cannot stand control freaks who give gifts with strings attatched. This poor woman and her poor family sure did learn a lesson this Xmas.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm hard pressed to get indignant about this situation on either side. Why? Because we don't have all the facts.

Maybe she sold the toys for drugs
Maybe she needed to pay a heating bill
Maybe she was in the program due to falsification of her circumstances. Do you need to "qualify" for the program? I have no idea. Do you?
Maybe the cop was her ex boyfriend looking for payback

Maybe not.

It's a sad thing, and whatever the circumstances (since we don't KNOW), the children are suffering the brunt of it, as usual.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

When did this woman get a gift?
As far as I can tell the cop bought gifts for her children and she took them and got the cop's money.
I'm siding with the cops, arrest is ridiculous, but not out of the question irrational. I doubt she will be in jail long.
This is a lot coming from me too, because I really don't care for cops.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

The story just came out today for me at least, so I will be keeping an eye for updates.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
When martial law begins, police will be on the top of the list to engage first even if the military is more dangerous and needs to be dealt with first.

Thats how I roll when that day comes.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
No minor child can enter into a contract unless they have been emancipated. Only a contract with the mother that stipulates the items would not be returned for cash could qualify as a binding contract. Neither the police nor any other person has any legal standing to enter into a contract with a minor child. It is ludicrous that she was jailed, much less arrested for returning the items.
edit on 20-12-2010 by elfie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Is theft by deception even a real offense? Up here in Canada if a real crime is committed it's called fraud. Another thing, Were they afraid she was going to skip the country. They had to put her in jail before Christmas to show her whos Boss. I don't know the facts either and I think they could have waited until after. I hope she gets a fair trial and if found not guilty gets the money back and more. If she gets a fair trial with proper legal representation and is found guilty then I feel doubly sorry for her children as they have been punished twice when they are the ones who are innocent. It's not like they went out and shop lifted a bunch of stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join