It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mech OS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Okay so we are technically on the verge of the having robots run everything right? I dunno if that is true but it sounds good and lets face it the fact that that statement is now on the web almost makes it true..

back on topic. We have an idea of how one "would construct a giant mech" but even if all the mechanical systems worked perfectly and the electrical system was redundant enough to allow it to "take a beating", what would the computer system be like???? Huh??? I would like to have this thread discuss this idea.. Let all pretend the world is exactly like it is right now. the only difference the main military force is giant mechanical monsters piloted by people. think of armored core, gundam, mech assault, what ever suits your fancy.

What would the OS be (linux based, windows based, Mac based)??
how would the GUI look??
Embedded or booted??
Anything else you feel is important???

My opinion:

I think, in my opinion, they would mainly be Linux based as the military uses a lot of linux systems for controls already and really who would want the blue screen of death to actually cause death? Each system would have an embbeded OS (ie. the giant gun, motor control) with a booted system sending control orders and supporting systems. the Gui would mainly be camera's to the outside with a systems information screen for details and on screen information. The screen would have information display available for things like video conferencing (this sounds lax but not sure what else to call it) and target information and tracking. all screens would be touchscreen and there would be a keyboard, mouse (like the ones in the cars today), stylus, multitouch, and other buttons that directly effected certain systems (ie. a button that armed weapon "A") , Voice commands (hopefully better that what is available right now.. LOL), biometrics (checking your vitals and systems that could assist you like we have today for pilots). since the pilots of these creature would/could be in there a long time. there would be several levels of systems preparedness such as normal, Alert, sleep, Battle, and other modes.

This thread is just for fun especially for those mech fans (such as me).

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I think your going to far into it.

The mechanics of the mech would be controlled by a car like computer, which i haven't the slightest clue about.

But because your in a mech (yeah don't start a sentence with but, whatever) i'd immagine you would be in a closed cockpit, i'm sure the actual UI would be some sort of linux, that just shows what is coming from the cameras outside, but with transparent indicators, like ammo, etc.

Then again, the car computer might have an OS, i don't know jack about cars.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

I dont know if it would be like a car's embedded system. there would too much vital information that the pilot would need to track. and if it is like a car's computer perhaps it would be best likened to the new cars with complete computer systems like the ford sync system or something similar but specific to the use of the mech.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
ok ok well im a big mech fan and when i was little i drew load of picture of mechs the system wouldn't be windows or linux or mac it would be totally different and only the mechs will have it so maybe no one can hack it and i probably would use a few ps3 with a custom hack to link them up and make them into a supper computer for all the processing needs but i would all like to make a system where the human is in sync with the mech yes i know i stole that part from neon genesis i can only dream but what would be even more cooler than a mech suite would be a tecnoman suite

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xmetalgear

I am certain a custom os would be used but the sheer complexity of developing a whole new system from scratch would be wasteful i think.perhaps a custom shell but kernel could be reused. i think linux would be be best kernel (or another UNIX-like system) as they work very very well at multitasking and it is easy for creating drivers (large number of which would be necessary). Hacking in linux is not usually a problem as linux systems are usually really snug. (unlike windows). and fixes are fairly easy to create due to the open nature.

as for the hardware. PS3 is a pretty advance system but connecting a number of them together would not give you the super computer effect you are looking for. sure it would be faster then a single ps3 but it could not go faster then the transfer rated of the hardware... in the PS3 case USB cable or LAN network. The best option would be a custom built system (this would be more compact and because of optimization and hardwire connections would be a real super computer).
edit on 3-1-2011 by knowonder because: To add discussion about hardware.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by knowonder

This is my reason for useing it on a budget still yea linux is ok dont get me wrong but yea a full custom linux would be the go

Researchers at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) in New Mexico have used microprocessors developed for the PS3 to power the fastest supercomputer on earth, the Roadrunner. This new extreme machine will help to model the world's physical reactions in the face of extremely complex, multivariate situations--like the future of changing weather patterns or radioactive fallout simulations. LANL brass, like other supercomputer researchers across the country, have been looking to amp up aging extreme machines. They recognized that the PS3's powerhouse microchip core, the Cell, had computational power that could make their own virtual calculations both faster and "smarter"--a term used to describe a computer's ability to handle multiple problems at once.

Programmers at LANL first worked with IBM to tweak the Cell in 2007, and have now fully integrated it into Roadrunner. LANL announced today that it has broken supercomputer speed records by performing 1.026 quadrillion calculations per second (in computing language, 10^15 calculations per second, a long coveted goal, is known as a petaflop). That's more than twice as many as the world's previous fastest supercomputer at Livermore National Laboratory California.

www.popularmechanics.com...

new topics

top topics

join