It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope: Church must reflect on what allowed abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

In the continuing decades long cover-up, the Vatican spews more smoke and mirrors. The problem being that the man in charge at the beginning of the cover-up is not being "reflected" in those mirrors. Has enough time passed so that more rubes will be brought back into line by this dribble?

The latest Papal Bull: Pope: Church must reflect on what allowed abuse

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

For those sleeping through the last decade:

Vatican told bishops to cover up sex abuse

This excerpt from the Guardian article:

Lawyers point to a letter the Vatican sent to bishops in May 2001 clearly stating the 1962 instruction was in force until then. The letter is signed by Cardinal Ratzinger, the most powerful man in Rome beside the Pope and who heads the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith - the office which ran the Inquisition in the Middle Ages.

Where is the outrage to this ongoing criminal behavior and media covered hypocrisy? The Wiki Leaks freak was arrested and still this clown continues his reign? I understand how this crap works in this screwed up world but I don't have to like it.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well, he says nothing specific, - which makes it seem to me to be a masterfully crafted piece of mind manipulation. There is no outrage, no condemnation - but several times he talks about how these crimes against children have become the 'norm'..... Seems to me this is one evil piece of deliberate equivocation.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I can't decide if it is complicity or complacency on the part of TPTB concerning this. Either way, The seeming lack of outrage speaks volumes.

More like what perpetuated it!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
From your article-
Recently, the Vatican released documentation showing that as early as 1988 then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger sought to find quicker ways to permanently remove priests who raped and molested children in a bid to get around church law that made it difficult to defrock priests against their will.

When will the high powered lens be focused on the Protestant churches as well?

The creeps who abused children are at least able to be found, due to the record keeping
of the Catholic church. Abuse is horrific, especially from men of God.

In Protestant churches, no such record keeping is in place. Their pastors and lay people
can disappear into the world without any records of where they are, in many, many congregations.

In his book, Priests and Pedophilia, Philip Jenkins, who is an Episcopalian, discussed the Catholic sex abuse cases, asserting that "[his] research of cases over the past 20 years indicates no evidence whatever that Catholic or other celibate clergy are any more likely to be involved in misconduct or abuse than clergy of any other denomination—or indeed, than non-clergy. However determined news media may be to see this affair as a crisis of celibacy, the charge is just unsupported."

en.wikipedia.org...

Although the anti-Catholics among us may be disappointed to learn that the incidence of molestation by Catholic clergy is lower than in Protestant denominations or in society as a whole, Jenkins's findings make it clear that we do our children a disservice by writing this issue off as a "Catholic problem" related to the celibacy of its clergy.

Neither an exposé nor an apology, Pedophiles and Priests takes a close, dispassionate look at the entire history of this mushrooming scandal, from the first rumblings to today's headlines. Jenkins has written a fascinating, exhaustive, and above all even-handed account that not only puts this particular crisis in perspective, but offers an eye-opening look at the way in which an issue takes hold of the popular imagination.

Jenkins argues convincingly, not only that clergy sex abuse is far less widespread than the headlines suggest, but that there is nothing at all particularly Roman Catholic about the problem.
(my emphasis added)

www.ad2000.com.au...

Again, I am not advocating for pedophilia, child molestation of anyone, or the priests who did these nefarious acts.
I just feel that the MSM demonizes the Catholic faith, without thinking for two minutes about the victims of abuse at the hands of other faiths or secular society.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 20/12/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegoodearth
From your article-
Recently, the Vatican released documentation showing that as early as 1988 then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger sought to find quicker ways to permanently remove priests who raped and molested children in a bid to get around church law that made it difficult to defrock priests against their will.

When will the high powered lens be focused on the Protestant churches as well?

First of all, thanks for your input. I am suspicious of any Vatican documentation. If from 1988 there are documents showing Ratzinger in a good light, I am inclined to believe this was preparation for a future investigation into these abuses and his "promotion" to the Papacy. I doubt that any of the Church hierarchy believed that the earlier (60's) documentation showing instructions for the cover-up would ever be seen by non-clergy.

That the Catholic Church is the target of these investigations and not the Protestants, Mormons, Jews and such is just the course of human nature. We tend to go after the "big guys" or at least who we perceive as "big guys". The Catholic Church was at one time, and likely still is, the largest corporation on earth. The money trail, self-promotion, sacred mysteries and everything surrounding the Catholic Church lead us to suspect more and react more when there are seemingly foxes in their hen-house. Other sects, at least on the surface, seem far more fractured and made up of independent agents. This makes all the more sense when considering what you've stated. These other sects don't have the controls (and the records) over the clerics and the congregations that the RC Church has in place. This has proven a double edged sword for the Vatican. Which also makes me wonder that with all of their control whether the Church and its' authority has been undermined from within and with intent by people associated with Ratzinger from the early 60's. (For more on that line of thinking, you might be interested in various threads and websites devoted to the subject of the "The Imposter Pope".) Could such actions be evidence of NWO complicity in moving toward a "one world faith"? I tend to think so. If the Church hierarchy had the best intentions from the outset, the pedophilia would have been exposed and dealt with through law enforcement agencies in the 1960's.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I realize that there are highly politicized views that come into play
whenever the Vatican is in the news, but the point simply is that
many, many victims of abuse get lost in the cracks, forgotten, or never
found because of the extreme focus on Catholics.

This is a huge disservice to all who have been abused by clergy, laypeople, etc...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoodearth
I realize that there are highly politicized views that come into play
whenever the Vatican is in the news, but the point simply is that
many, many victims of abuse get lost in the cracks, forgotten, or never
found because of the extreme focus on Catholics.

This is a huge disservice to all who have been abused by clergy, laypeople, etc...

Understood.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The Catholic religion is an abomination. It has been since it began. It has been all about power and politics since its inception. Plus they have the gall to have the pope be the leader of the church and not God.

The last pope that tried to make serious changes...moral changes...was assassinated. The first Pope John Paul.

I live in Massachusetts. Our wonderful Cardinal Law, who was guilty of hiding all kinds of abuse, was rewarded with a job at the Vatican back in 2002.

Funny but this does not ring of religion. This is just a serious political entity. No wonder the world was concerned about Kennedy being president. The Catholic Church (by this I mean the people and organizations that control the pope) has an amazing amount of power.

Just like the President here in the US, the Pope is forced to keep as close to the status quo as possible. Step too far outside and your term ends early...

top topics

join